[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cassettes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: NNF305.jpg (2 MB, 2028x1515) Image search: [Google]
NNF305.jpg
2 MB, 2028x1515
What does /mu/ think of artists and labels who release material in cassette formats? Do you like the sounds of them? Are they just like vinyls in the sense that they're both an attractive commercial gimmick? Is it legitimate?

What are some of you're favorite releases in this format?
>>
>>65697479
they're cheap and easy to produce at home
>>
>>65697479
Carrie and Lowell came out on cassette so that
>>
i used to put all my vinyls onto cassette because they sound great and they're absolutely bulletproof

i used to work in firefighting and forestry and by the end of a contract only my shit would ever be still functional so i got to dictate all the music listening

i'm old and tired now so i don't do that shit but i have buttloads of old tapes kicking around

they don't see much use because i don't have a player for my car anymore
>>
File: The Great Unwinding.jpg (117 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
The Great Unwinding.jpg
117 KB, 700x700
>>65697479
I have a limited edition tape of The Great Unwinding by Ulaan Passerine. There's only 100 of them, but it's technically just a bandcap band, so it's not really worth anything

aotysf though
>>
>>65697515
oh woah didn't know that. Will look for it.

>>65697509
So, you like them?
>>
>>65697577
cool. What genre is that record? seen many people talk about it, and the cover looks baffling.
>>
>>65697577
If you enjoyed the music than the tape has value. There are a ton of bands who put out amazing private press records in the early 80s who haven't been "legitimized" by a label until 30 years later.
>>
I like them because they're small, cheap, and new artists can put stuff out on them pretty low-cost. And I just like the format, idk. Grew up listening to shitty bootlegs and now music doesn't sound right without the background hiss and pop
>>
File: snatcherwip_2.jpg (908 KB, 856x818) Image search: [Google]
snatcherwip_2.jpg
908 KB, 856x818
>>65697479
I make bootleg tapes, mainly of retro video games that never got a cassette release.

Working on a Snatcher soundtrack right now. Also previously sold a set of Metal Gear audio logs on tape to a fellow /mu/tant.
>>
>>65698405
incidentally no that isn't my deviantart, I'm just crediting the guy whose work I edited
>>
>>65697657
It's like a free folk/drone thing. It's good though, really enthralling.

>>65697775
Yeah, that's true. I only bought it because I wanted a physical copy of it
>>
>>65697479
I like both tape and vinyl for the material aspect. Music these days is a matter of a click of a button, and you can just lift your favorites straight into a playlist with no effort. With cassettes and records, you're almost required to listen to the whole thing in order, and making a mix or custom playlist on tape still requires you to suit through the whole thing as you record it. I feel like analog media just imparts a greater appreciation of music than the ravenous consumption inherent to digital.

yes I am aware I sound like a massive hipster cunt
>>
>>65698686
>yes I am aware I sound like a massive hipster cunt

kek can't say I agree friend, but I definitely see your point.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.