[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that people who like this album and Roger Waters are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: cover600x600.jpg (13 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover600x600.jpg
13 KB, 600x600
Why is it that people who like this album and Roger Waters are incapable of explaining why?
>>
The real question should be why do people even like this album, or this band in the first place. I mean other than Meddle, they didn't have any decent albums after Saucer Full of Secrets.
>>
>>65694328
Agreed.
>>
It's a good album. Sure the themes are a bit played out (DUDE LIFE AND DEATH LMAO), but the execution is pretty nice. The guitar tones on breathe are justification enough for me personally, but if you don't find the chordal motif that is established in Breathe interesting or at least remarkable, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>65694458
How is it that remarkable?
>>
>>65693090
The better question is why people don't think Animals is the best PF album
>>
>>65694502
Animals is such fucking garbage, it figures you'd like that shitty fucking album you piece of shit. They were on total fucking autopilot for every one of those tracks and the "concept" is cringey as fuck, just like all Waters' work.
>>
>>65694458
Fair enough. They know how to write a good song, and play their instruments. I'll give you that much.

That being said, as I've said in the past, what Pink Floyd does with one album, or in the case of The Wall, a two record set, Steely Dan could get the exact same point across in one five minute song, and actually have a sense of humor about the whole thing.
>>
>>65693090
Because it sounds good
>>
>>65694502
>>65694530
In as much as I hate Animals, it DID encourage me to read Animal Farm by George Orwell, so there's that going for it.
>>
>>65694540
Typical teenager.
>>
What kind of autistic shit thread is this?
>why do people like things they like

Why do people think the immature Syd Era is better? Why do people like the boring as fuck Gilmour era? It's just personal tastes.
>>
>>65694644
>Why do people think the immature Syd Era is better?
Because he wrote fucking songs. He actually took the effort to write lyrics and music that was psychedelic without some gimmicky tape effect. "Astronomy Domine" shows up even the best songs by Lennon in chromaticism and Paul in sense of scale.

I read Scaruffi's first bit of bio on Pink Floyd and he fucking nailed Waters' PF: "more interested in sculpting sound for the sake of sound." There's no composition to it. It's just fucking chilled out vibes. Boring shite.
>>
>>65693090
Syd Floyd is best Floyd
>>
>>65694482
Because it is used in different expressive ways throughout the album. Starting in breathe it establishes a familiar, comfortable feeling. This feeling is compounded when the motif is brought back at the end of time (home, home again, I like to be here when I can), and it doubles as a metaphor for death on this track. Finally when it is brought back during Any Colour You like, it has the psychedelic elements more produced, linking death, comfort, and spirituality and "psychedelia" in the musical process.
>>
>>65694540
This desu

>>65694532
Steely Dan is also a really great band, very different approach than PF though. To go off what you said

>could get the exact same point across in one five minute song

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey (so to speak). The 'meaning' behind Pink Floyd's music isn't as important as the music itself. They do a great job of building soundscapes, particularly with Echoes off of Meddle and with Shine On from WYWH. David Gilmour's guitar playing is always a highlight and his approach, in terms of how he wrote his guitar parts, ended up working really well with the band's music and direction. It's interesting to see how well his fairly simple blues-based style integrated so well into the prog rock realm.
>>
>>65694736
>Because it is used in different expressive ways throughout the album.
AKA 3 times.
I mean I think the reference back to "You Never Give Me Your Money" is significantly more musically moving, played now on loud Trumpets with a big drum part as Abbey Road is closing out and you are filled with this great sense of anticipation.
>>
>>65694752
See >>65694712
>>
>>65694530
Dogs is an incredible track, man
>>
>>65694830
The chord progression of the first part is the only good thing to it.
>>
>>65694712
>He actually took the effort to write lyrics and music that was psychedelic without some gimmicky tape effect.

Too bad his lyrics were just typical psych shit and their music was just a product of it's time. Even the Beatles did psych rock better. If Syd had stayed in the band they would've went nowhere musically.
>>
>>65693090
why are you so butthurt of other peoples taste?
>>
>>65694787
That point about Syd Barrett does not tie into what I said at all, so I assume you want me to respond to Scaruffi's argument?

I don't see how "sculpting sound for the sake of sound" is a bad thing. Music is just sound after all, and I don't think there necessarily has to be any higher meaning to an instrumental piece in order for it to be considered good/notable. But this doesn't really apply anyway, since there is meaning and composition to Roger Water's writing, even if it is very basic "deep" shit by modern standards.
>>
>>65694900
>Even the Beatles did psych rock better.
Totally fucking wrong.
>>
>>65694770
Yeah, that is a really nice part, and the Beatles did a great job with it. I'm just stating why I like this album and some reasoning as to why it might be so highly acclaimed
>>
>>65694963
hot opinion
>>
>>65695089
What by The Beatles was better than anything on Piper?
Not saying they weren't a far more important group in terms of influence, but definitely not as good as Syd's best songs.
>>
>>65694924

You must be new
>>
>>65694712
>Boring shite.
And Syd's collection of nursery rhymes is better?
>>
Wow this fucking board is so edge. Listen to my insert edgy folk band ebin vinyl shit that sounds like a bunch of autistic children banging steel drums together while their depressed dad plays the banjo and sings like he inhales 2 packs a day because he knows his children are retarded. Legit half the shit you guys think is good is just mediocre underground stuff, hence why its underground. Fuck I can't believe how many of you have terrible opinions about music.

>inb4 I just described Pink Floyd
Only Syd was autistic
>>
>>65695222
I take it you don't know anything about music theory?
>>
>>65695100
Fella there is literally no point in giving my own opinions on which Beatles songs I think are better because I know you're going to disagree no matter what. Threads like these are pointless because it comes down to personal taste. I personally think Piper is an ok psychrock album that gets over blown because "muh Syd".
>>
>>65695378
Tell me the chord progression to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJh9OLlXenM
>>
>>65694502
Totally agree, Animals is my favorite by them as well.
>>
>>65695100
I'VE GOT A BIKE YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU LIKE
Man, why did it take this long for me to realize the genius of Piper?
>>
>>65695663
See >>65695459
>>
>>65695663
>>65695674
And while you're at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbIMx2MYNXk
>>
Any Colour You Like is one of the top 5 psychedelic songs of all time.

Money has a great bass line and sax solo.

Us and Them is the perfect song for romantic cuddling.
>>
File: 1428990052515.jpg (48 KB, 335x202) Image search: [Google]
1428990052515.jpg
48 KB, 335x202
I love the orgasmic singing in Great Gig in the Sky
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.