[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
*Preoccupations* was it the right thing to do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 7
*Preoccupations* was it the right thing to do?
>>
nah its fucking pathetic to cave to sjws demands like that

you're not supposed to give them legitimacy
>>
>>65687681
lel
>>
>>65687654
no, deleted their album after this fiasco

I won't have any cucks in my library
>>
I don't care that they changed their name as much as I care that they changed it to something that wasn't as good
>>
>>65687681
this tbqh
just tell them to fuck off if someone says its ''problematic''
>>
>wants to be post-punk so fucking hard despite the scene being dead for 30 years
>has none of the punk spirit or mindset when push comes to shove
It's beautiful.
>>
faggots complaining they changed their name are almost as annoying as the faggots complaining about their name in the first place
>>
They should have changed their name to Charlie.
>>
>>65687681
the new name is boring AF so I wanna say it was a mistake, but their reputation was legitimately at stake. Once one SJW cesspool calls them out, everyone else will out of paranoia that not doing so will make them look bad. Just look at how often Action Bronson's shows are cancelled now, it's like a virus.

I just find it funny that they did a big interview with p4k apologizing for the previous name and immediately after they get best new track, it's like that was their reward for "coming clean."
>>
>>65687746
To be fair the name change deserves to be mocked. Who changes their name just because of a few cunt college students on twitter?
>>
>>65687720
Lmao

>>65687746
2/10, this is a board for music related discussion, comments like yours are redundant. Here's your (You), bye! :^)
>>
>>65687794
it's a better option than career suicide

they had only dealt with a few cancelled shows, but the reality of getting dropped by their label due to pressure or never getting booked again were both legitimate concerns going forward

>>65687829
"lmao what cucks amirite dumb sjw garbage" doesn't exactly constitute as music related discussion either, sport :^)
>>
>>65687794
those college students are the only ones buying this pitchforkcore shit music
>>
>>65687794
>a few cunt college students
to be fair there were a lot more than that. they had at least two shows cancelled over it, most of their gigs had protesters outside, and major music publications were at their throats about it all the time (and i wouldn't put it past some of them to pan their second album over their name). they had to put up with that for about a year, and by the sounds of it they didn't care about the name that much to begin with. don't get me wrong i think the people whinging at them are the stupidest most illiberal people out, but i think if they couldn't hack it anymore then i don't blame them for changing it.
>>
Imagine if Dead Kennedys changed their name to Doing Things. All legitimacy would be dropped.
>>
>>65687905
You must be looking for your hourly Kpop thread friendo!
>>
>>65688190
DK's didn't come up in the age of internet SJWs where a giant campaign against you can be raised and spread in a couple hours
>>
I thought the old name was shitty and gross, the reason they came up with it was a racist joke, I mean if they actually knew the history of Viet Cong and had a legitimate reason for naming their band that then I would see it differently.

Public Strain is still the best thing to come out of Matt Flegel. The new track is worse than anything on Viet Cong s/t. It's incredibly repetitive and the lyrics suck ass.
>>
>>65687915
well shit
that's ridiculous then. who gets this worked up over a band name
it doesn't change how the music sounds
>>
File: 1365018872332.png (43 KB, 669x627) Image search: [Google]
1365018872332.png
43 KB, 669x627
>>65687681
if grimes told me to change my name I'd to it tbqh
>>
>>65688306
Just go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>65688306
Sure thing Anthony!
S/T was just as good as Public Strain, if not better structurally.
>>
Imagine if Joy Division had changed their name over sjws complaining.
>>
Lost all respect for this band.

Not a big loss though. The only good song on the S/T was Continental Shelf and maybe Newspaper Spoons.
The rest was subpar generic postpunk filler. I mean Silhouettes sounds so bad it's like a Interpol b-side.
>>
>>65689092
sjws didn't exist then, friendo
>>
>>65687915
>most of their gigs had protesters outside

I remember a time when having protesters outside your show gave you legitimacy.

Millennials are so fucking boring.
>>
>>65689194
t. millenial
>>
>>65687654
this album was one of my favourites but that new song is fucking boring
>>
>>65689172
It's a hypothetical question autist
>>
>>65687654

no and they're fucking pussies
>>
yeah yeah it's the world we live in now, senpaitachi. where anyone with internet access can cause a fuss about anything. whether they should have changed their name or not is up for debate but the stigma would have followed them around and probably not in a good way.

preoccupations is a shit name though.
>>
>>65687720
>cucks

lol, no. They're just Canadians. Nice guys get mad pussy here.
>>
>>65687681
This 100%.

This band name is offensive but bands like Cannibal Corpse or Anal Cunt are fine? What the fuck?
>>
>>65691244
oh man imagine anal cunt/seth putnam at oberlin college
>>
>>65688301
>a giant campaign against you can be raised and spread in a couple hours
This is sad that the internet has the power to ruin someone within a day or two.
>>
>>65691266
Or GG Allin.
>>
>>65687654
When you think about it, the new name is kind of a clever middle-finger to those who don't like the name Viet Cong. Maybe a little too clever for most people to realise, though.
>>
>>65691290
As in, we're too preoccupied to give a fuck about our band name? Or am I reaching?
>>
>>65691317
as in the people who wanted them to change the name are too preoccupied with their outrage over a band name where they could possibly point their outrage to something more worthwhile.
>>
>fka Viet Cong

>WHAT WE KNOW: In September, following months of hand-wringing and public outcry (and one cancelled concert), the Canadian band Viet Cong finally ditched their problematic name, ushering in a new era for the quartet. Their new moniker has yet to be revealed, along with any formal album announcement.

>WHEN IT’S OUT: Who knows

>WHY WE’RE PSYCHED: By changing their name, fka VC have removed the primary distraction preventing fans and potential audiences from enjoying their excellent post-punk jams. Now we can shut up and get on with the music.

I fucking hate pitchfork and sjw's sooooo much. It should always be about the music. I hate feminist so much.
>>
the vietcong fucking ruled.

sjw's are always imperialist and neoliberal. ALWAYS
>>
>>65687746
shoulda changed their name to women
>>
>>65691290
nah meredith graves called them on that hour after the change
everybody knows the lil petty shits they're
>>
>>65691337
Fair point. Or they're too preoccupied doing important things in life while these teenagers are just whinging little entitled cunts with nothing important to say.
>>
They should've changed their name to HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE. LIKE IN THAT BOOK. FUCK YOU ALL.

At least, that's what I would've done.
>>
>>65691343
>literally can't stop thinking about feminism
>>
>>65691362
*womyn
you god damn cis white rape apologist get your pronouns right shit-lord

/s
>>
>>65691343
>problematic
they really pander to them purposefully don't they.
>>
>>65691364
what did she say? why is she always complaining about things.
>>
>>65691343
I can always rely on Pitchfork for a good ole cringe.
>>
>>65691362
Should've changed their name to "mediocre version of Women" because that's what they are.
>>
>>65691430
something something cis white males
idk go look on twitter should be still there while she shills for mtv
>>
Surely I'm not the only one thinking this could make them more irrelevant now than when they were under the "viet cong" moniker.

I already feel like people don't talk about them much now.
>>
File: womendebut.jpg (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
womendebut.jpg
100 KB, 500x500
>>65689034
Superior self-titled album coming through.
>>
>>65691478
meh they changed their name a while ago. she tweets too much to go back that far. i'm sure what she said was dumb though.
>>
>>65691463
Come on, s/t sounded way more varied and interesting than Public Strain. I like Women, but I feel like Viet Cong had a good thing going.
>>
That's why punk is more dead than ever. They're all pussies. I swear to god Death Grips is the only band with some pure punk attitude. But I don't like their music very much either.
>>
>>65691615
DG are self proclaimed feminists but I get where you're coming from. There's not really any challenging punk bands anymore.
>>
>>65691615
I agree. They're about image first and foremost. Fuck everyone, including their fans. They're the truest to Punk we've had in a while now.
>>
>>65691463
I agree, but that's nobody's fault man. Women were James Reimer's band. The guy fucking died.

Matt Flegel is a far better vocalist than his brother. I liked the vocals in Women, but he was a nasally, almost autistic sounding frontman. Matt's deep, brooding voice is really great. Especially on the new track, he's learning how to use it as another instrument.

Viet Cong use their guitars in exactly as interesting a fashion as Women, they just don't have quite the same dense layering, which was 100% Reimer.
>>
>>65691660
Feminism in the traditional sense isn't inherently terrible. Can you imagine women of today being held to the rules that were in place in the early 1900s?
>>
>>65691244
It depends on the audience. Anal Cunt catered to people who can take dark jokes. These clowns' main audience was Pitchfork's teat loving college children
>>
>>65691859
The strange thing I'll never understand is how someone can live their life it seems intentionally looking to be offended. I'm a cynical, depressed person, but I don't go out there looking to be as unhappy as possible. I'll laugh at anything. No matter how dark, offensive, or fresh it is related to some kind of disaster.

I just can't imagine *wanting* to be offended and outraged all the time.
>>
>>65691754
Almost no man is against the traditional and dictionary term of Feminism. It's this new wave feminism that is trying to assert dominance and create safe spaces so their feewings are okay. They're autistic and don't want equality, they want something they feel is owed to them and it's nothing. They're babies that want attention. That's it.
>>
>>65691859
Seriously man. How?

There is nothing cool or relevant about some Canadian lumberjacks making reverb-laden post-punk in 2015-16. They're only covered by P4k because Women was a huge buzzband for them 7 years ago and were one of few Canadian bands making genuinely interesting music.

It's not the most challenging music ever... but it's not the least, either.
A band that can uncompromisingly play the same riff over 25 times in a row on an 11 minute track can still be compromising from a moral standpoint. They're Canadian, after all.
>>
>>65691914
The thing is, the adult's of this third wave feminism are liars, and manipulative sociopathic narcissists. I don't believe for a second people like Sarkeesian are anything but puppet masters. She's power hungry, and she's successfully working her way into politics. It's kind of daunting in a way.
>>
>>65691903
They are mostly young spoiled college kids who take themselves too seriously. Most of them will gree out of it.
>>
>>65691952
I hope so. One of my ex girlfriends has been on the tumblr feminism train since she was probably 14-15. She's now almost 19 and shows no signs of slowing down. To me it seems like most of them are living in a huge facade. I've spoken to her in depth on her own and she can be just as offensive and disgusting as the rest of us. I fear for her. She's definitely got problems.
>>
>>65691903
Same here, it's just words in the end. I know some people can actually harm with their words in the most extreme of cases, but this is not it. These guys were pretty innocuous about their usage of Viet Cong.

I suppose just like this site is full of people who enjoy pissing each other off, the opposite also exists.
>>
>>65691980
>I suppose just like this site is full of people who enjoy pissing each other off
The difference is, and as much as I hate shitposting, most people on here are just fucking around and here for a good laugh and to find their niche interests.

People on tumblr take their special snowflake issues seriously online and out in the real world.
>>
>>65687787
Their reputation right NOW was at stake, but now everyone is going to know them as the band that caved in to a bunch of crybabies. If they stood strong and said "no fuck off, suck my dick" it would be better for them in the long run
>>
>>65691978
19 is still very young. Most 19 y olds I know are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>65692035
I feel that. I thought I was mature at 19. I'm 22 now and I'm still figuring my shit out. I think I'm far past my cringe phases though.
>>
>>65692008
This.
Their image is ruined. They're actually g like Disney and caving in to SJW snowflakes. For what? This might have killed their career as musicians with a statement and to be taken seriously in any way.
>>
Post-Punk had a great run, it's time to let it die.
>>
>>65692004
Word. I'm here to fuck about and find new music. I don't think anyone on here takes the trolling seriously, especially with how much counter-trolling there is amongst real discussion. But other people REALLY take words to heart like fucking knives.
>>
>>65692008
>>65692074
This. I think people would take them more seriously as a band if they just tell people to fuck off.

It's about the music. For the most part, and call me ignorant if you want, a band name is just that. A name. It doesn't necessarily have a huge backstory behind it.
>>
I don't care about the political message, I thought that album was awesome
>>
>>65692098
I don't take trolling seriously in the sense that I think people are being serious. I take it seriously in the sense that it's so old, repetitive and tired and recycled that it's very grating to see the same shit here every single day. IE: What did he/she mean by this? I mean, how can you be so bored that you constantly spew this shit?
>>
>>65692054
Don't worry guys I didn't feel like an adult until I was 24. 18-23 are some dangerous years, you can be an ignorant fuck and people will actually take you seriously
>>
>>65692110
I know, which is why it kills me that they're such PC pussies.
>>
>>65689172
They absolutely did, only they were radicals at academia. None of these current SJW bullshit concepts are new.
>>
>>65692126
I think I'm pretty stable at 22 now. Of course you're always growing so I may think the things I'm doing in a few years time were cringe worthy. I hope not. I'm quite happy where I am now with who I am, how I look, and the music I listen to. Regardless of what some anonymous person online says.

One thing I will say about this board is, and I do have trouble ignoring people, is that people seem to find it baffling that people may like music that you seem "pleb" or god awful or terrible, or just in general like music that you don't like. As if that's strange that we all think differently.
>>
>>65691723
>james

kek
>>
just a friendly reminder that Viet Cong caved into sjw like this fucker. God damn what pussies. What's so punk about their music again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3vcvGpALQ
>>
File: 953.png (56 KB, 200x302) Image search: [Google]
953.png
56 KB, 200x302
>>65687720
You're the cuck for deleting an AOTY
>>
>>65692223
keep it up and this meme might get reposted on /r/4chan
>>
>>65692120
I hear that. I hate comments on YouTube more than I do on /mu/ though. At least here I find most of you interesting.

>>65692179
Yeah, the pleb insults mainly get thrown at people when someone else thinks there is much more out there that hasn't been found by said pleb. I do hate it when pleb is thrown around in exchange with "your opinion is different than mine".
>>
>>65692126
I'm 23 and a manchild basically
>>
>>65692105
Well, I'm glad you don't manage any artists.

Promoters were literally canceling their shows. No shows means no money. No money means back to working at Whole Foods.

Sure if they said "fuck you", they could have sold some records... would have made for a better story. But it's so much more difficult to make a career out of writing and performing music today, they just couldn't chance it. You cannot live off of albums sales. You need to perform, and if venues are outright saying "you can't play here under that name", then your career is going to be very short-lived.

Also, they weren't that attached to the name. They said straight up that they didn't even realize what the word meant - they watched old army movies and thought of them as "the bad guys". If you're talking "cops 'n robbers" they wanted to be the robbers. It's a super Canadian move to apologize and change your name, but really they didn't care that much and just wanted to be able to keep making music. By the sounds of "Anxiety" they haven't compromised a damn thing.
>>
>>65692216
Lol, I watch too much hockey.

Chris Reimer*

James Reimer fucking blows.
>>
>>65692255
>At least here I find most of you interesting.
The difference is on YouTube there are quite literally people of all ages on there. You know those "Who's watching this in June 2016 shit"? Most of them are children. Often people posting shit like "I was 2 when this was released and you calculate it and they're only 12 or 13 years old. It's pretty frustrating finding comment sections full of actual children. I don't think kids should have that kind of access. Not because I think I'm some kind of intellectual squire. These kinds just aren't old enough and mature enough to say anything worthy or of note.

And on the topic of pleb and patrician. People seem to genuinely take that shit seriously. You think I give a fuck whether my taste is "patrician" or not? I just listen to music because I love it, it makes me happy, feel good and makes me feel all kinds of emotions. Regardless of it's acclaim or what you personally hold it up against.

Both of those posts are mine btw. Thanks for replying friend. It's good to be able to have a decent discussion on here every now and then.
>>
>>65692312
b.s. they were influenced by one of the most anti capitalist band in post-punk history, this heat who's self titled debut was basically a recap of the vietnam war. If anything, the cong kicked america's ass. Americans' should be pissed off by their name, not fucking Vietnamese people.
>>
I never really cared about the name thing, despite liking the band
>>
>>65692312
Even if this were true, which I don't think it is, it's kind of shit that these bands get promotion through shitty sites like p4k which are targeted to these hipster kids with too much money, time and nothing really important going on in their life.
>>
>>65692179
>One thing I will say about this board is, and I do have trouble ignoring people, is that people seem to find it baffling that people may like music that you seem "pleb" or god awful or terrible, or just in general like music that you don't like. As if that's strange that we all think differently.

They don't find it baffling, it's done to piss off other people. Most of it it's playful. If the same people who shout pleb posted their charts they'd definitively have some some moocore around too.
>>
>>65692358
I feel you brother, it's the 4chan way to shit on everyone. I come here becuase I love the recs I get from other people, regardless of what they think of my taste. Just like this thread, I got shit on by a couple of people because I like Viet Cong better than Women, but its all the same. Music is for everyone and I'm glad we could talk.
>>
>>65692407
>it's done to piss off other people
Call me a pussy or whatever, but in a realistic logical sense, is it not kind of fucked up to get your kicks just sitting at your computer for hours on end pissing people off for you amusement?

No, I am not new to 4chan. I've been here for over 6 years, but I've never understood the mentality of someone who just trawls through this website to wreak havoc and annoy people. Do people really have NOTHING better to do?

I can't stand the old mentality that "if you can't the hostility, you didn't belong here in the first place". As if it's some badge of pride that we're all meant to be hostile, angry, cynical hateful pieces of shit to come here.
>>
If you asked an old survivor from the Vietnam war if they'd care about a random Canadian band being named "Viet Cong", they'd laugh at your face.
>>
>>65692407
Most /mu/tants are rec'd mucore as a starting point for a reason. It's generally a good launching point, so I do find it odd when anyone plebs out over it
>>
>>65692459
I've never even listened to Viet Cong. I just came here because I thought the topic was interesting. I guess I should give them a go now.

And yeah. The reason I keep coming back here is because, honestly, despite wading through a lot of shit, some of the albums I've discovered here have become my favourites of all time.

I doubt I would've become the huge hip hop fanatic I am now without using this board. I used to be an angsty metalcore kid. Now I listen to fucking everything.
>>
>>65692495
Seriously, no one that SHOULD give a fuck actually does.
>>
>>65692549
>>65692495
These are pretty accurate. Survivors of the Vietnam war are too busy suffering from life long injuries, mental trauma and other shit to care about the name of a band. Their might be the odd outlier, but most wouldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>65692537
Yeah give em a go, the album was a grower for me, but Silhouettes and Death are fantastic tracks. I was the same man, I was the "I don't listen to country or rap" meme. Piñata by Madlib and Gibbs is one of my favorite albums now.
>>
>>65689034
>s/t was just as good as PS
If you mean Viet Cong's /t you're absolutely fucking wrong. Nothing comes close to the absolute genius of PS's cathartic mood, compositions and interplay.

>>65691494
Fav Women record tbqh
Sounds a lot like This Heat
>>
>>65692478
I rarely go to chart threads and such, mostly go to sharethreads, and /prog/ so haven't done something like that. I'm only explaining why people do it.

Of course no one has anything better to do, and of course it's fucked up the more you think about it. What's your point?

>if you can't the hostility, you didn't belong here in the first place

How on Earth you reached that point I have no idea, but it's not going to stop people from how they currently act.
>>
>>65692607
I end up rambling and going on more than I should have. I still stand by it though, even though nothing will change.
>>
>>65692585
We just disagree man, but I do like every single record Women produced, a lot of great things have come from these guys!
>>
>>65692580
That's funny because Freddie Gibbs is one of the rappers I still haven't really got into yet. I've been utterly obsessed with Injury Reserves "Live From The Dentist Office". I even spent $30 total getting a CD copy of it sent to Australia.
>>
Pretty pathetic thing, to be honest. The irony is this shit probably wouldn't have happened if p4k didn't give them a good review in the first place. This site's audience is the type of person who would found the band name problematic.
>>
>>65692689
Great production and Gibbs has a furious flow, aggressive but damn are his lyrics spot on. Give it some more spins, him and Madlib are about to collab again. I've never even heard of that album, I'll check it out. What else you listening to?
>>
>>65692760
That's why I think it's hurt them. If they weren't considered a p4k band no one would bat an eyelid.
>>
>>65692648
Wow I sounded like an aggressive piece of shit in that post, sorry about that. I do enjoy a lot VC's textured guitar work, it's more experimental in a way. Women just were so unique. Such a shame about Reimer, really talented fellow.
>>
>>65692780
Idk, being a p4k buzzband at least sort of guarantees quite some exposure, it's best for them to be that than some obscure ass band no one's heard of. They deserve the success they're getting.
>>
>>65692779
I was just listening to Meek Mills new album. Hasn't really impressed me so far.

Check out Jonwayne's "Rap Album One". I accidentally discovered it through the archive the other day and fell in love.

https://mega.nz/#!SpMDmYyZ!BcC3rSiGFbCC3WpD4fF21QQUQIRAdfq88OAtaKFGBh4
>>
>>65692783
All good man, I didn't see it like that. I totally agree, Women are way more unique. I was dying to find something as great as Turn on the Bright Lights when I stumbled across Viet Cong and I went backwards from there.
>>
>>65692878
Also, I'm always full of hip hop recs if you ever want any. I pretty much live and breathe this shit. I've become overly obsessed with it.
>>
>>65692105
Right. Which is why ima listen to their new album and not have the name or any drama outside of the album influence my opinion or ability to enjoy it.

Who fucking cares what they're called. They make nice tracks. Leave it at that.
>>
>>65692973
Fair point lad, but I still think it sucks that they bowed down to the pressure of these teenage pseudo intellectuals.
>>
>>65692878
Good lookin bro. A thread like this is why I love mu
>>
>>65687739
zero integrity. they want to be edgy teenage girl vevo/urban outfitters background music so bad.
>>
>>65693005
Do you want anymore recs? I'm happy to write a few down for you. Only thing is I can't upload if they're not archived because my Australian internet is well.. Australian internet.
>>
>>65693045
Of course man, light me up
>>
>>65693120
Alright. Just give me a couple of minutes while I post it up for you.
>>
>>65692905
>live this shit
Yo care to develop on this? My idea of the hip hop lifestyle is pretty much based on 8 Mile and stereotypes, would love to know how it's like in 2016.
>>
>>65693136
I didn't mean literally. I'm just some Australian white guy who likes hip hop. I meant as in I listen to hip hop every single day of my life without fail, and it's become so prominent in my life that I struggle to listen to other genres.
>>
>this actually happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsqKsWfT2g
>>
>>65693136
Kek
>>
>>65687654
Should have changed to Viet Cuck tbqh familia
>>
>>65692991
It does, it does. But as another anon pointed out, this is their career and livelihood and in a way they were obligated to change. I think us judging them for changing the name for practical purposes would be the worst thing we could do when we are capable of looking past the drama, unlike the politically over sensitive crowd who put them in this sticky situation.
>>
The Viet Cong were the good guys.
>>
>>65693181
I wish my life was so uneventful and devoid of trouble that this would be my biggest problem to tackle.
>>
>>65693120
Open Mike Eagle - Hella Personal Film Festival
Oddisee - Alwasta
Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Reneagades)
Prhyme - Prhyme - (personal favourite)
100s - IVRY
Akala - The Thieves Banquet
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid (My AOTY so far)
L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us In Like Family
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Mr. Lif - I Phantom
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
>>
>>65693232
OP here, you bring up a really good point. I'm excited for their new album, so I never was going to stop listening to them, I just wondered if it should even matter what a band is called. If no offense is meant, is it okay for so many people to take it to heart? I like your answer and another anons post a lot. They did what they did for their livelyhood. I just think it's a shame that people demand such a safe space that it can cause a band to change their own recognition.
>>
File: gbxyoxxxgwzfd7hlj4i7.jpg (60 KB, 635x424) Image search: [Google]
gbxyoxxxgwzfd7hlj4i7.jpg
60 KB, 635x424
no! i'm pissed off and really glad you're talking about this right now because i know some of the band personally and really hate that they caved to this bullshit

fucking pander rock, i call it

my own band is playing a gig soon and sjws have convinced my friends and band mates to launch some political crusade for them because another band has some mildy offensive name that hurt some people's feeling

it's bull shit, i'm not going to play the show and i'm seriously considering quitting the band

i hope every band ever just stops making music, that way no one can be upset

i'm a philistine, so i don't care
>>
>>65691354
This.

The Viet Cong were only defending their country from French, Japanese and American imperialism.

I honestly don't know who found this name offensive. Probably SJWs getting offended on someone's behalf.
If US vets are offended, they need to remember that their army was an invading force. I have sympathy for the US vets sent out there to fight a pointless war, but is mentioning the name of the army of the people you tried to dominate somehow wrong?
Is wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt triggering because he stood up to US imperialism?
>>
>>65693320
Same guy here, thanks again for the recs, I'll check em out. I agree, Impossible Kids is my AOTYSF too, I love Dorks and Rings a little too much.
>>
>>65693320
Vince Staples - Hell Can Wait
Snoopzilla & Dam-Funk - 7 Days Of Funk
Obie Trice - Cheers
FLATBUSH ZOMBiES - Better Off Dead
Action Bronson - Rare Chandeliers

>>65693407
Here are some more friend. Obviously you won't like them all, but I thought I'd give you a bit of variety. Generally I listen to more new school hip hop but some older stuff catches my attention.
>>
>>65693375
>i hope every band ever just stops making music, that way no one can be upset

someone else is just going to take their place in the spotlight, someone who does cater
bands are disposable
>>
>>65693407
Dorks is fucking amazing. "Party over here... I'll be over there". I don't know why I love it so much but it really resonates with me.
>>
>>65693271
edgy
>>
>>65693168
kek, shame. Sine you love hip hop that much here's some stuff from my country:

Orelha Negra - sort of jazzy, sort of instrumental, kinda like DJ Shadow, one of my personal favs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBkznlk7JJc&list=PL14FCCD03E2195060

Da Weasel - probably our most famous respected hip-hop group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livOwfYkt9w

Capicua - female rapper, conscious hip-hop, catchy stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58awapAjrmA

Sam the Kid - conscious hip-hop, chill stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSAT4q47ZA
>>
>>65687654

fucking manginas
>>
>>65693434
it's true, unfortunately

>>65693395
the thing with their name in particular was that the band doesn't know any thing about the viet kong, they literally just liked how it sounded, like people who wear che shirts because they like the look
>>
>>65693499
>the thing with their name in particular was that the band doesn't know any thing about the viet kong, they literally just liked how it sounded, like people who wear che shirts because they like the look
It's a shame such a brilliant band name was used by glib, uninformed hipsters.
>>
>>65693474
Thanks mate. I'll check them out for sure. Appreciate it a lot.
>>
I thought the new Preoccupations track was alright, if the new album goes into gothier territory like the single hints towards I'd be very happy
>>
>>65693419
Hell yes dude, I've needed this, my hip hop game has been weak lately. Good to know you roam this place.
>>
>>65693542
I mean I could write about thirty more if I wanted to but I'm about to go and workout. If you want to chat some more I have kik or a throwaway email.
>>
>>65693521
ehh they're from alberta, they can't help it
>>
>>65693553
throwaway email, for sure. My phone doesn't work well with kik for some reason
>>
>>65687654
While college kids are crying about the words and jokes they don't like there's more people out in the world plotting to carry out more massacres. More people are going to die for nothing. More sincere trauma will be inflicted. Not just words. Not just petty first world problems. Real suffering. Straight-up murder. Deeply felt, sincere hatred. Shit that gives you a real reason to cry. Nothing worth changing has been changed by the SJW movement. They're just... appallingly fucking useless.
>>
>>65693607
[email protected]
>>
>>65693614
I agree, but when can't you ever find something to complain about? No one in this country feels like they should be happy, too many people here want to be offended, it gives them purpose, it gives them a boogeyman to abolish. Becuase they know they're too weak and too useless to actually do any real good that's desperately needed here at home and over seas.
>>
>>65693690
There was a video back in the 80s I think it was by an ex KGB operative saying that these kind of people were huge pawns in the world and "useful idiots".
>>
>>65693333
>I just think it's a shame that people demand such a safe space that it can cause a band to change their own recognition.

I couldn't agree more.
I'm a terribly apathetic person and an affluent white male so I'm every level of sjw "you just don't get it" but for me the end result of their whining is only that I want to avoid their crowd and ignore their movement. So at least in my case, they are separating when they intend to unite and in the band's case and at large they are providing this weird censorship of anything that isn't hyper liberal. I know that they mean well and are doing good things for the lgbt community for example but sometimes it's like the fuckn futurama episode with the tv censorship spaceship comes to destroy earth because nothing meets its standards of purity.
>>
>>65693985
I'm a poor beaner and I feel the same. In some ways I feel these prone to be offended white people have also used us brown people as a weapon to feel superior to other whites. They don't really care about actual causes, but as long as their get their dosage of smug "activism" they will keep on going. They always pick the easiest fights with a constant veneer of moral absolutism. Life doesn't work that way at all, but they have yet to figure that out.
>>
File: COVER.jpg (101 KB, 943x935) Image search: [Google]
COVER.jpg
101 KB, 943x935
>>65691220
where's my pussy
>>
Personally I think they shouldn't have changed their name, since people asking them to change it were basically saying "This is what you can and can't say" and them following through with that (regardless of whether or not they wanted to change their name for reasons outside of the pressure) was essentially saying "yeah those guys are right you're actually not allowed to say certain things if people get upset".
>>
>>65687763
underrated post
>>
>>65694639
They were getting barred from playing festivals and shows because of the name as early as February last year, I would have preferred it too if they stuck with the name, but I can understand why they had to change it
It's just a consequence of leaving the underground scene really, more people know about you but more people are going to find your band name questionable, especially in the internet age
>>
>>65694433
I'm always glad to see people who they can't brush off as a straight white male speak out against them. I'm bisexual and I feel absolutely no connection to them at all. I can't stand them thinking they can speak for me. I can't stand their censorship. I can't stand any of their phony fucking compassion. They seriously repulse me to no end.
>>
>>65692689
They're really raping you on the shipping m8
>>
>>65687654
The Morning Benders weren't the same when they changed their name to POP ETC
>>
>>65688395
>using tumblr as an insult
kys
>>
Yes, because now the name is available.
>>
>>65693181
Fuck these gookers who come here and destroy our art scene. If you don't like it, go back to Hue city
>>
>>65695397
I know. It was worth it. It might be worth something one day.
>>
>>65693375
whats the name of your band and the name of the offensive one?
>>
>>65687654
Literally retarded
>>>/tumblr/
>>
I literally only just thought of the This Heat - The Fall Of Saigon and Viet Cong connection right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrfz9pULvm8
>>
>>65693614
you're just as useless for complaining about them complaining. i dont get why their motives pissses people off so much all this PC bullshit triggers people so easily. why do you want to be the asshole that offends people? it's time to grow out of all that edgy humor after middle school any ways.

people bitching about PC are just mad they are getting called out for being pieces of shit thats all there is to it.

why live your life that way when instead you can be kind and not an edgy try hard troll trying to get reactions because you parent didn't give you enough attention?
>>
>>65696245
>it's time to grow out of all that edgy humor after middle school any ways.
You're the one calling it edgy. There is nothing wrong at all with dark, offensive humour. Besides, since when did edgy always = teenage humour? A lot of well respected comedians pushed the boundaries of what's considered okay.
>>
>>65696245
>why do you want to be the asshole that offends people
We don't. And aren't trying to. Just because someone gets offended by something doesn't mean it was intentional. It just means they're a prude with a stick up their arse.
>>
No. Bad idea. Sets a horrible precident. Besides, if they really felt like they had to change their name for whatever reason, they should've at least chose something better than Preoccupations.

Preoccupations is just a shitty name. Viet Cong had a much worse meaning, yes, but it looked a lot better on paper, was a lot more distinct, and was generally easier to use in everyday conversation.
>>
>>65696245
Hey kid, did you ever stop to think dark humor can be a form of venting for someone in a difficult life situation?
>>
>>65696477
Ricky Gervais has a good quote on that. Or was it Louis CK. I can't remember.
>>
>>65696345
because teenagers go through the angst phase were they have to be different and try too hard to seem cool. thats why being edgy is childish. once you're comfortable with yourself theres no need for all that extra crap
>>65696369
at a certain point you have to be aware and take responsibility for your actions ya know think before you speak. but i get it. it's 4chan. this site is a huge counter culture too whatever is mainstream right now (PC/feminism/SJW) so thats whats cool on here. it's a big secret club! right guys?
>>
y'all are much more obnoxious and much less well reasoned that most of the 'SJWs' u complain about

for all your pretensions most of u don't seem that intent on being informed, empathetic, or open minded
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (191 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
191 KB, 1024x768
tfw when a band like Pearl Harbour & The Explosions wouldn't be able to survive into todays cultural climate
>>
>>65696477
thats projection and displaced anger. theres better ways to handle it too.
>>
>>65696529
The anti-SJW crowd are genuinely more angry at SJW's than the issues they bring up. Ultimate cucks for conformity
>>
>>65696534
>I just took a Psychology 101 class, I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>65696493
You realise the amount of comedians that would just become irrelevant if it were all based on clean, safe inoffensive humour? You realise the amount of TV sitcoms or comedy movies that would be cancelled, or old sitcoms that would stop being in syndication if it all had to be safe, politically correct humour? Even the most tame shows like Seinfeld would be cancelled.

I don't think you've thought this through very well friend. This isn't about counter culture. This is about being able to express yourself however you like. Even if it has nothing to do with dark edgy humour.
>>
>>65696529
You definitively sound like a well reasoned individual alright
>>
>>65696493
Projection 101. I'm well past my teenage phases or trying to fit into a clique or be cool and I still have an incredibly dark sense of humour. That doesn't mean I can't laugh at something light. But dark humour is where it's at.
>>
>>65696245
No.

You can be crass and still be an alright person. You can listen to power electronics and then go do volunteer work for the homeless. You can sleep with crossdressers and not give a shit about some stupid joke. I would know.
>>
Am I the only one that actually liked the new track?
>>
>>65696614
Pretty logical answer. You could even say that you could be for social justice and not give a fuck about a meaningless name.
>>
>>65696575
i don't think we have the same definition of edgy humour. im talking about the ridiculous over the top shit i see on 4chan that would never be on TV. Things being said to blatantly offend people. A comedian would for sure be out of a job if he expressed his routine like you guys.
>>
>>65696635
I liked it, and thought the video was pretty awesome too. Nothing groundbreaking tho
>>
>>65696245
Why are you trivializing people who were actually abandoned and/or given a shitty life by their parents? Are you implying they all become unadjusted walking disasters? Lots of people in dire circumstances with no parental attention grew up to become fine citizens.How insensitive can you be?
>>
>>65696688
Louis CK has made jokes about rape and murder and child molesters and gotten away with it. That's something you'd definitely see on /b/.
>>
>>65696700
im not trivializing it that can very well be the case for these people that seek out reactions and attention. and i doubt you even give a fuck you're just trying to pull a "gotcha!"
>>65696614
thats cool so how come that doesn't apply to the SJW you guys constantly bitch about?
>>
>>65696815
>im not trivializing it that can very well be the case for these people that seek out reactions and attention.

Yes, you are. There's lots of people raised on the best that are pieces of shit. Why don't you say that to these people on their face. Ask them if they're attention whores.

>and i doubt you even give a fuck you're just trying to pull a "gotcha!"

So is this like a game for you? You're doing exactly that. You're just picking the lowest fruit possible to feel morally "superior".
>>
Missed opportunity. They changed their name right around the time Prince died. They should have changed it to 'the artists formerly known as Viet Cong.'
>>
>>65697235
thats actually pretty genius man
>>
>>65696240
shit me too, seems obvious now, especially how that track is basically Newspaper Spoons
>>
I mean, from what I understand, they didn't really care that much about their name, so it makes sense in that regard. Why piss off people and lose gigs in the name of something that doesn't really hold any significance?

Didn't need to do as much backpedaling as they did, though.
>>
>>65696815
The problem is flexibility. They show very little. I'm fine with letting people say and do a lot of things that I wouldn't normally do. That's not something they're keen on doing though, and that's one attitude that I have no respect for.
>>
>>65687763
This.
>>
>>65691290
If they wanted to do that I would've gone with Problematics.
>>
>>65691754
>Can you imagine women of today being held to the rules that were in place in the early 1900s?
They're not anymore, that's the point.

>>65692312
Even so, it might have been shortsighted. I mean, yeah, I get it that it's frightening to have shows cancelled and shit, but with such a boring new name and whatever punk reputation they had ruined, they're going to fall off the map extremely quickly unless this new album is 10/10. And when it's all said and done, most people are still going to call them Viet Cong because it's a much better name.

>>65696493
>at a certain point you have to be aware and take responsibility for your actions ya know think before you speak
>and then, y'know, don't speak at all, it's daaaaaangerous
You sound like one of those victorian don't-say-anything-if-you-can't-say-something-nice boarding school-matron ladies, you fucking prude.
>>
Referring to them exclusively as "PCVC" from now on just because "Preoccupations" is such a shite name

Also pretty excited for this new record of theirs and hoping their live show stays as good as it was the last time they toured
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.