[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you ever project your own meanings onto albums without actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10
File: laughing stock.jpg (137 KB, 700x701) Image search: [Google]
laughing stock.jpg
137 KB, 700x701
do you ever project your own meanings onto albums without actually looking up what they're about? post your made-up bullshit here.

i like to imagine this and spirit of eden are a double album about the creation of the earth
>>
>>65686066
For me, I would say that Spirit of Eden focuses on the Great Flood that God did in order to rid the earth of all evil. Laughing Stock focuses on the aftermath, after all the water has vanished. The first track on it perfectly paints the scene of a damp, desolate landscape that is serene, yet eerie. The rest of the album focuses on the ventures of the people that survived the flood a few days after everything has settled, slowly watching the earth come back to the state it was prior.
>>
File: Jandek_-_Ready_for_the_House.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Jandek_-_Ready_for_the_House.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>65686066
Not a bad way to look at them

I like to think of pic related as being recorded just after the singer killed someone in the room on the cover and is looking for some kind of repentance. He killed someone he was in love with

Dark shit
>>
File: VDC.jpg (164 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
VDC.jpg
164 KB, 700x700
>>65686066
>This is a concept album about the meeting of Mary Hansen (of Stereolab) and a robot. After her death she finds herself in a kind of purgatory - an unknown dimension, with only some kind of terraforming AI for company. The album maps the gradual creation of her own personal afterlife/ paradise as the AI learns to understand and interpret human emotions (the cover art depicts this) while she comes to term with her own death. While at times melancholic because of this, she never loses a sense of wonder and hopeful optimism. Eventually she succeeds in creating her new world, finally departing from us eternally. The fuzzy, dreamlike, and at times incomprehensible qualities of the album can be explained by the fact that we can't fully understand the language of the afterworld. It's like trying to interpret a fourth dimension. Perhaps this is all real, or perhaps it's the last thing that flashed before her eyes in slow motion. Either way, this album is her final gift to us.

This is all entirely based on the fact that the singer sounds like Mary Hansen and it was released about 6 months after her death. But uh, it works surprisingly well. I'm not religious or anything either, I just thought it was a nice story.
>>
File: cocteautwins178572.jpg (49 KB, 844x805) Image search: [Google]
cocteautwins178572.jpg
49 KB, 844x805
I always get an overwhelming sense of infinity with this album. The ethereal sound is present in all of their albums, but this one seems to have the most repetitive song structures. It's almost like each track represents a different emotion, and they could all go on forever like purgatory.
>>
File: cover.jpg (77 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
77 KB, 499x500
This album is about someone being beaten to shape into fitting with society. First half is alianation buildup, with Blue Singer as dramatic climax. Final two-part track starts with how the protagonist is reluctantly pregnant, obviously not willing to take on the parenting role, the final desolate Iron Lung section is the character being stuck in an allegorical iron lung, finally fully conformed with broken dreams.
>>
These are cool. Have a bump.
>>
File: devin townsend infinity.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
devin townsend infinity.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
It's a concept album about the progression and maturation of the soul as human.

On "Truth" the ur-polemic of yes/no, 1/0, True/False is used as a representation of the birth of consciousness. From being comes disparity.

From there we progress through Hegellian triads of Thesis/Anti-Thesis/Synthesis.

The Christine/Bad Devil/War suite presents us with the inner progression of the individual as experiencing and coming to terms with innocence/guilt/responsibility respectively. First the naive child explores the world, then the child is hurt and lashes out and finally it understands the necessary synthesis of the two and the weight of responsibility born out of this realisation allows it to move beyond the individual into the next section.

The Soul Driven Cadillac/Ants/Wild Colonial Boy suite presents us with the problem of individual qua society and the attitude taken towards The Big Other as naive/pessimistic/illusory respectively. First the realisation that one is in a world populated by many souls with potential, then the realisation that not all who inhabit this world have made the shift from guilt driven to responsible (material nihilists and hedonists) and finally the necessary synthesis of the two into an ideal reality whereby your conception of the world is a function of yourself and not your surroundings. Here the Copernican/Kantian shift takes place.

The closing triad of Life is All Dynamics/Unity/Noisy Pink Bubbles presents us with the effective collapse of the binary shift that instantiated categorical human life to begin with by: recognising the opposites/realising they are illusory/living a life of carefree wandering.

This is effectively an epistemological journey of Leibnizian optimism and Taoist immortality. Devin ranks among Meister Eckhart, Prince and the Buddha as far as enlightened proponents of the doctrine of skillful means go. His brand of enlightenment rode in on a ship made of walls of lush sonic light and death.
>>
>do you ever project your own meanings onto albums without actually looking up what they're about?
as a board of music "enthusiasts", I would hope that literally everyone here does this
>>
>>65686630
>>65688370
damn...
>>
>>65686630
>The fuzzy, dreamlike, and at times incomprehensible qualities of the album can be explained by the fact that we can't fully understand the language of the afterworld

This reminds me of a pair of parables.

Two monks made a pact: whichever one of them died first would come back to this world to describe the after life to the other.

Eventually one of them died, as living things are wont to do, and came back to the other monk in a dream.

"Is it different?" asked the dreamer. "Completely different" (the latin here roughly translates to "incomprehensibly different, different beyond definition) said the dead monk.

---

The Emperor asked Master Gudo, "What happens to a man of enlightenment after death?"

"How should I know? I'm not dead." replied the Master
>>
File: weeping mary.jpg (49 KB, 485x320) Image search: [Google]
weeping mary.jpg
49 KB, 485x320
>>65686899
>they could all go on forever like purgatory.
>forever like purgatory
>purgatory
>forever
>>
>>65688830
kek
>>
File: da9bf112.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
da9bf112.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
mourning a lover who committed suicide
>>
File: 1414638522430.jpg (66 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414638522430.jpg
66 KB, 500x375
>>65688370
jesus christ
>>
File: xblue.jpg (111 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
xblue.jpg
111 KB, 580x580
Blood on the tracks is Bob Dylan's attempt at a male version of Blue, deconstruction of relationship/self, and Have One on Me is Joanna's attempt at a modern equivalent of Blue. The title is a reference to Last Time I Saw Richard, with Joanna being one of the tragic lovers in an old cafe
>>
>>65688370
the fuck dude
>>
>>65686156
>>65686066
I like this

I always imagined them in greater simplicity as morning (SoE) and night (LS)- but the two ideas are analogous in a way
>>
>>65688830
Fuck it, you know what I meant.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.