[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just listened to The Seer for the first time. Absolutely loved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: Swans_The_Seer_album.jpg (48 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Swans_The_Seer_album.jpg
48 KB, 300x300
Just listened to The Seer for the first time.

Absolutely loved it.

Very atmospheric and chilling. I loved all of the tracks and they worked perfectly together to create an amazing mood. Glad I listened in the dark.

I got the vibe that it was about almost some kind of hunt, where a man is trying to seek refuge from something (probably a wolf), so at the end of CD1 where it ends with tranquility, he's at peace. Then, it continues this calm mood, then at the end of The Apostate, it just goes absolutely nuts with percussion, which is where he's been caught and killed.

Anyway that's my somewhat shallow interpretation.

I guess now I move on to TBK, before finally listening to Soundtracks for the Blind.
>>
>>65678407
2013 october
>>
>>65678419
Huh?
>>
>>65678500
2013 october
>>
I saved Soundtracks for last, was worth it
>>
2013 october
>>
>>65678407
You're in for a great ride senpai. To Be Kind feels like a logical progression of The Seer. However my favorite remains Soundtracks for the Blind, it's one of the most unique experiences you'll have listening to an album IMO. Going through their older stuff now, it's totally different, a bit less enjoyable than their post rock influenced music but still good stuff. Enjoy
>>
I started with To Be Kind, and the listened to Soundtracks. I wasn't that impressed with Soundtracks, to be honest. I can't see what's so special about it.
>>
If you're going to listen to Swans give the older records, especially Children of God and White Light, a listen. /mu/ is fucking terrible at talking about Swans and only jerks off to neo-Swans who have been doing the same thing again and again for six years now, only making the songs more needlessly drawn out and repetitive.
>>
>>65679443
>and only jerks off to neo-Swans who have been doing the same thing again and again for six years now, only making the songs more needlessly drawn out and repetitive.

As a long time Swans fan I completely agree.
>>
>>65678407
Why would you not listen to The Glowing Man after TBK? You need to listen to the trilogy in sequence, then go back and do SftB. They're all amazing albums but SftB has a very different sound.
>>
>>65679443
Dude what, swans whole discog is discussed fairly regularly.
>>
>>65679582
nah when was the last time anybody had a discussion going about Public Castration or goth-Swans? They're always talked about as lesser works, the only "mandatory listening"-albums are SFTB, Seer and TBK and this new album.
>>
File: great-annihilator.jpg (25 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
great-annihilator.jpg
25 KB, 600x600
>>65679647
Goth Swans was best Swans.
>>
>>65679647
We are literally talking about those in the other active Swans thread at the moment, ninny.
>>
>>65679681
yeah man, No Cure for the Lonely best song
>>
>>65679703
I posted in that thread and it was like 2 posts about World of Skin and older Michael Gira projects, no discussion of the new album and 60 posts about the rape situation from idiotic pseudo-fascist scum.
>>
>>65679705
The era when Jarboe was in the band was their best era.
>>
>>65679732
My point is that the older albums are discussed all the time. Not a thread goes by without someone piping up with 'Cop shits all over neo-Swans'. It seems like a crime to like every stage of Swans' career because you're always going to be upsetting someone.
>>
>>65679764
>'Cop shits all over neo-Swans'.
Neo-Swans and pre-Jarboe Swans are pretty much the same, in that they are both Gira and the band masturbating.
>>
File: farewell.jpg (27 KB, 348x504) Image search: [Google]
farewell.jpg
27 KB, 348x504
>>65679802
old Swans had Gira literally masturbating sometimes though lol
>>
>>65678407
actually, my friend and I had a very similar idea about The Seer. Not necessarily a hunt, but it was a chase, of sorts. We imagine someone trying to escape a storm, and finally, during The Apostate, the car in which they are outrunning this storm sputters on with the first set of drums, starting slow and ending quickly, into the amazing ending jam. Then the car sputters out with the drums at the end and gets sucked into the storm (tornado in my fantasies).

Also, if you're just gonna listen to The Seer and TBK, finish it off with The Glowing Man before moving to SotB.
>>
I've been listening to The Seer, To Be Kind and The Glowing Man over a span of three consecutive nights for the first time. Just going in blind and hearing the trilogy, I only have The Glowing Man left. It's been a pretty dope experience honestly, I teared up during Bring The Sun.
>>
>>65679802
I don't give a shit if it's sonically-appealing masturbating.

>>65679855
>I teared up during Bring The Sun
What is tear-worthy in that song? If anything TGM is the weepy album. Unless you're one of those people who cry because they're enjoying something?
>>
>>65679126
Oh okay now I get it
>>
>>65679880
Just the emotional intensity brought me to the cusp of tears, I don't really cry very often at music, sad or otherwise, but it was a very powerful and intense moment, almost bordering on spiritual. Gira and the band's artistic vision seems to be achieving a higher state through the music, and while I don't feel like I "achieved a higher state" during Bring The Sun the beauty and strength of it just struck me and I nearly cried.
>>
>>65679855
>>65679938
faggot
>>
>>65679681
Why the song that names that album is the worst fucking song?
>>
>>65680004
I don't think it's bad, but it does do some stuff that's weird, the rest of the album is much better.
>>
>>65680004
>>65680156
well, what aout To Be Kind?

worst song on the album, got the title.
>>
>>65680602
You can't honestly think that the title track is worse than Some Things We Do

>THERE ARE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF STARS
>IN YOUR EEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS
>>
Best Swans album is Circus Mort.
>>
>>65680755
*tips*
>>
>>65680755
>not Swans EP
>>
File: 220px-Younggod.jpg (22 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-Younggod.jpg
22 KB, 220x220
>>65680755
>>65680808
>not Young God
>>
>>65678407
Interesting interpretation.

I only listen to swans so if some stupid fucking pleb asks what bands i like, they will know my power level, and henceforth fear me.
>>
>>65679353
Don't go in expecting the greatest album of all time.
>>
>>65680845
>>65679353
Correction, even if it may be.
>>
>>65680808
>using the reissue cover
I actually like it a lot, it's almost funny.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
>>65679353
Try this one. It's got some live versions of Soundtracks era stuff but I actually like this more. Not quite as many drone tracks, just some post rock-y epics.
That being said I still love SFTB. This is just the better listening experience to me.
>>
>>65680973
thanks for rec

>>65680845
i kinda did go in expecting this. I mean, before I listened to To Be Kind, I remember reading people calling it a pleb album and saying new Swans is shit. So I didn't expect much from it. However I liked it a lot (kinda got boring on the drone parts).
And since STFTB is supposed to be their best work, I expected something way better. It didn't really wow me though.
>>
>>65680973
I like this better than Soundtracks, it has more energy and is more true to the band.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.