[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's still album of the year, but holy fuck Cloud of Forgetting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 3
File: The_Glowing_Man_(Front_Cover).jpg (101 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
The_Glowing_Man_(Front_Cover).jpg
101 KB, 300x300
It's still album of the year, but holy fuck Cloud of Forgetting is unlistenable. How did it even end up on this album? Worst Swans opener ever.
>>
I like it.
>>
I like it, especially more than Cloud of Unknowing
>>
>ITT: Shit opinions
Cloud of Forgetting is absolutely beautiful. The fluttery guitars, the wind instruments and piano, the melancholic and regretful moaning. If you get it out of your thick skull that a Swans opener doesn't need to have a catchy repeated groove and aggressive, monotonous lyrics then you'll realise it's perfect. I feel like if you don't understand CoF it's gonna be hard to understand the overall tone of the album.
>>
>>65678024
I don't know, i just really hate Gira's vocals on this one, especially since the instrumentation is so light, mainly in the first half of the song.
>>
>>65678041
Think of it like an ageing man calling out in vain as his life and memories fade away before him.
>>
>>65678057
Damn.. I'll try man, thanks for the advice.
>>
Human Story 3 is the AOTY tho
>>
Anyone upload that 320 from What yet?
>>
Shit taste, it's Cloud of Unknowing the stinker here.
>>
>>65678115
No. It will be indistinguishable from the press version which leaked because you can't hear watermarks.

>>65678132
Also incorrect.
>>
is all that business about there being a weird blip in the middle of frankie m. at the 15:35 mark true even on the release version?
>>
>>65678108
What's Human Story 3, friend? Not OP, but I don't listen to modern music much. I'm mostly stuck in the 70's/80's punk scene if it's not innovative drone or noise rock.
>>
>>65678152
I don't think that's a watermark, rather shitty mixing on the drums. Whoever was behind the board on this album fucked up a few times but Frankie M. is the most blatant.
>>
>>65678202
^^
>>
>>65678024
I agree so much. I have relistened the entire Swans discography a week before listening to The Glowing Man, and CoF is a perfect opener. Or course you wouldn't understand it if you only listened to Screen Shot and Lunacy.
>>
>>65677975
Great album (not perfect though) the only song I'm not into is People Like Us. It sounds too much like Angels of Light and that feels like a huge backstep from Gira in 2016.
>>
>>65677975
I'm scared that Fantano won't like this album as much cause it's not as groovy as To Be Kind and there aren't songs like Oxygen and Screen Shot on it. I don't want this album to have a bad reputation among critics cause it's truly a great record imo.
>>
>claims album is AOTY
>claims album opener is unlistenable
dang, get some standarfs
>>
>>65678202
Tell me other examples of bad mixing on the drums. I can't find any other than Frankie M. and that's not bothering me too much either.
>>
>>65678333
>I'm scared that Fantano won't like this album
I'm not sure I'm okay with people like this being Swans fans.
>>
>>65678363
Did you not understand my post smartass?
>>
File: 1460320796713.jpg (56 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1460320796713.jpg
56 KB, 480x480
>>65678333
>>
>>65678386
why do u care what critics think?
>>
>>65678162
Don't bother dude, it's vaporwave and a meme.

Unless you're really into slowed down Dianna Ross songs
>>
>>65678411
Because he's 12 years old and he needs his opinion validated.
>>
>>65678411
You got me wrong. I don't like music critics, especially not fantano. But his opinions has an unfortunate "cultural relevancy" these days, therefore if he pans the glowing man, the record would gain a rather negative reputation unfortunately. Which is a shame cause it's a truly great work imo. It would deserve all the praise.
>>
>>65678488
Fantano doesn't have any "cultural relevancy." Fantano's reach is pretty much teenagers on /mu/ and youtube. I think either way Fantano's review is going to make /mu/ a more unbearable place. Either he'll dislike it and people will spam PAN OF THE CENTURY or he'll love it and people will call it a meme or start pretending it's the greatest album of all time.
>>
>>65678488
Gira will continue to produce music to the best of his ability and his (legitimate) fans will continue to love it regardless of what critics say. Suggesting short-term reputation mars the value of a piece of art is childish.
>>
So, have we taken bets yet on how Pitchfork will rate it? I predict they'll get an idiot like Zoe Camp to review it, and instead of reviewing the music, she'll spend her whole time on a whinge about "rape culture" and "male entitlement" Will probably give the album a 1.8
>>
>>65678549
this is supposedly the final swans album, so i doubt it really matters what the critical reception is
>>
>>65678583
Final Swans album from this line-up, not final Swans album.
>>
>>65678576
I predict that none of what you said will happen but if it gets a subpar score, you'll still blame it on le SJWs because even /pol/tards need to get triggered by something.
>>
>>65678597

Hardly a /pol/tard, just stating the obvious.
>>
>>65678576
Holy shit that would actually be hilarious
>>
>>65678607
>hardly a /pol/tard
if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

you might not post on /pol/ but you'd be right at home there or at kotakuinaction or wherever

>just stating the obvious
this has literally never happened and never will happen.

will you eat crow when the review comes and there is zero mention of "rape culture" or "male entitlement?" or will you find another way to blame le SJW conspiracy?

fuck off
>>
Smh
>>
I think it's beyond doubt that the rape episode with affect scores, seeing as several reviewers have already brought it up and expressed uninformed opinions on it, and Pitchfork is a bastion of mindless libertarians with no understanding of the functions of art other than an embodiment of pop culture trends (seeing as we're in the midst of a huge white-guilt hip-hop phase in surprised these publications review music by old white men at all).
>>
>>65678644
>This has literally never happened

It happened with Mark Kozelek leading up to the release of Universal Themes when he called a female reviewer a "spoiled rich blogger bitch" and "she totally wants to fuck me". Originally the review was done by Cohen but it got taken down almost immediately and they put up the review that stands on the site now.

Universal Themes is just as good as Benji imo.
>>
>>65678644

I don't think they'll mention these stuff on the review but I'm almost certain they will give it a lower score. Not like a 4-5 but it will be a 7 instead of an 8 or something like that.
>>
>>65678741
Really? How come I've never seen this supposed review that was taken down "immediately?" Why hasn't this glowing review by Cohen materialized, only a screepcap of a twitter link?

Why do you conspiracy retards never consider any alternative options, like that the original tweet was a mistake? No, it can only be le SJW conspiracy to make white male musicians suffer despite the fact that DIIV and Ariel Pink seem to have done fine.

Hell, if pitchfork did decide to lower Mark's score, it seems like it had more to do with Mark insulting their staff rather than caring about "rape culture" or "male entitlement" (neither of which appear in said review, btw).

Both albums are shit anyways.
>>
Profanatica beats Swans.
>>
>>65678836
Of course you think that. It's inconceivable that pitchfork would give this a lower score for any other reason than an SJW conspiracy. So if this gets anything lower than a 9.0 retards like you will bitch about cultural marxism and sjws, can't wait.
>>
>>65678865
exactly
>>
>>65678882

It's not a fucking conspiracy. I'm not saying they'll do it intentionally.

But they'll listen to the album with the rape stuff in the back of their heads and that will effect their judgement.

If you don't think that's possible you have no idea how human perception works.
>>
>>65678865
Lowering a score because of any external factors like the musician saying stupid stuff indicates a personal agenda and a disregard for the art itself. Modern reviewers are so much more concerned with cultural relevance and trends than legitimate artistic value (99% of them wouldn't even be able to hazard a definition for that term). Coupled with the facts that many reviews are paid for or incentivised in some way, and that modern listeners are more influenced by what they read or hear about an album than their actual listening experience, criticism is basically fucked and needs to disappear. Unfortunately it never will because it's a seriously fucking lucrative business if you're able to tap into the right trends and have hands in the right pockets.
>>
>>65678959
Like it effected their judgement of Ariel Pink and DIIV, right?

It's not like your perception isn't being warped by your dislike of "social justice warriors" and "PC culture," right? Give me a break.

>you have no idea how human perception works
What relevant expertise do you have, friendo?
>>
>>65678741

And everything Mark has released since has gotten poor reviews. I guess he is damned forever for one humorous comment.
>>
>>65678882

No matter how much of this SJW drivel you post, Grimes will never blow you.
>>
>>65678981
Yes, hobbyist websites like pitchfork are shit, not denying that. They're a business that wants to make as much money as possible, but I'm responding to the idea that this album will be given an extremely low score and that the review will be exclusively about rape culture. That's pure fantasy of someone who probably considers themselves a "free speech activist." And of course, when that ridiculousness is challenged, said people fall back on "they're going to pan it because of the allegations" with zero actual evidence or reasoning behind it, it's just a convenient way for people to complain about "cultural marxism."
>>
>>65678644
>>65678741
>The end result of these developments is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to imagine Sun Kil Moon's music outside of how it, and he, are discussed on social media. And since Mark Kozelek's music is so specifically autobiographical, and because he is the central character in each of these songs, it's doubly hard for his behavior not to have some impact.

holy fuck in the review the writer literally is saying their review of the record has fuck all to do with the music, lmao
>>
>>65679056
>the idea that this album will be given an extremely low score and that the review will be exclusively about rape culture
I don't think anyone ITT is attempting to suggest that. They're just saying that the rape episode will influence critical opinion to a measurable extent (as is already evidence by other early reviews of TGM).
>>
>>65679034
>people only have opinions because they want to get laid
top logic m8, im sure to get grimes attention on an anonymous image board. i guess you're only a trumptard because you are secretly hoping to get anally reamed by the donald. keep on shit posting, don't like your memes be dreams.
>>
>>65679034
really? you think this is about fucking sex?

in case you didnt realize, there are people out there sick of this identity politics "hurr they got a bad score because theyre white and male D:" tumblr tier bullshit thats been plaguing this board and it has nothing to do with wanting a blowjob
>>
>>65679083
>I don't think anyone ITT is attempting to suggest that.

Except that's how this whole fucking thing started:
>>65678576
>>
anti-SJW's BTFO ITT

pack your bags boys, go home, REKT
>>
If you want to see how a good review is written then go to deathmetal.org

Read this. No personal agendas at all:
http://www.deathmetal.org/news/condor-duin/
>>
>>65679120
He was obviously exaggerating/baiting. Nobody actually thinks it'll get below a 7 or 8.
>>
>>65678999

A rape allegation and some misogynistic comments (which Pink obviously does to get attention) have very different weights.

I'm mature enough to admit that my perception can be warped too, btw, this case included. It's just Pitchfork doesn't exactly have the best track record in their reviews, this guy explains pretty well :

>>65678981
>>
Swans thread? Still haven't listened to the new album, before that I'm marathoning Swans whole discography. What about their side projects, what would you guys recommend? I heard The Body Lovers is a lot like Soundtracks for the Blind.

What about their live albums?
>>
>>65679076
You picked one line in a fucking essay of a review. That's some top tier cherry picking.

And that line does NOT say that the review has "fuck all to do with the music." Can you read? They're saying that the personal life of a musician will effect the autobiographical nature of their album. Are you suggesting that pitchfork doesn't also take Kanye West's personal antics into account when they review the lyrics on his albums? Give me a fucking break.

Again, why did Ariel Pink and DIIV get positive reviews when they were just as politically "incorrect" as Mark Kozelek? Could it have anything to do with Sun Kil Moon releasing shit music? Nah, it's le cultural marxists!

Also love how you've now abandoned this original "pulled" review bullshit. You fucking retards can never stick to one argument.
>>
What do you guys think Gira's going to do next with Swans? That's what I want to know. Imagine if he got Jarboe back.
>>
>>65678333
XD
>>
>>65679197
Body Lovers is Gira's best side project. Apart from that he has a couple of solo releases worth checking out (I Am Not Insane). Obviously Angels of Light is the go-to for gentler stuff. For live albums, there's Public Castration which is probably the most disgusting, gruesome music ever performed, then Swans Are Dead which is Soundtracks live in all its glory, and then there's the live fundraiser trilogy which you've most likely already heard.

>>65679245
Possibly more choral/orchestral/ambient stuff as other anons have suggested. As long as it's not close enough for comparison with this trilogy I'm sure it won't disappoint.
>>
>>65679157
Rape allegations really didn't hurt David Bowie, did it? Or Modest Mouse. Or anyone for that matter.

What that guy explains is a general problem with major publications. Why is it that people like you only seem to care when there is a possible "feminist" undertone (that isn't actually perceivable and can't be proven, of course)? This is some GG tier shit, complete with links to reviews that don't exist.
>>
>>65679307
>Possibly more choral/orchestral/ambient stuff

So more stuff like SftB, then?
>>
>>65679332
Probably not as patchwork or edgy. StfB is never choral in the classical sense like on TGM, and it's too jarring to be classed as ambient even though there are ambient sections.
>>
>>65679307
What about World of Skin and Circus Mort?
>>
>>65679414
Pretty throwaway desu. Unless you're a Gira-san completionist.
>>
>>65679319

Stop pigeonholing people, just because I also seem to think Pitchfork will be effected by the allegations doesn't mean I %100 agree with the guy who just made up a review to prove his point.

The reason I think what I think is because of the way how this specific case was handled by these blogs.

Anyone who even remotely know what Gira is about would laugh this off. I'm not saying he couldn't possibly rape anyone, I'm saying that story is %90 bullshit and yet they jumped on it like sharks and keep bringing it up in any news that include Swans in any way. That's the reason I think they won't be able to review it fairly. If they do, good for them, and I'll happily admit I was wrong.
>>
Call me crazy, but I'd not mind something like The Burning World. The album is really beautiful and makes a lot more sense after the Angels of Light albums.
>>
>>65679076
I agree that her review was very stupid but you are totally exaggerating what she said.

She said that her view of him will unavoidably be a part of her review of his music. However silly she might be that is not the same as saying that she ignores the music entirely.
>>
>>65679453
Which blogs? Pitchfork reported the various facebook posts (or whatever they were) and as far as I'm aware, no staff member wrote any sort of editorial on the matter. They remained about as neutral as they could. Pitchfork writes their news articles because they make good click bait, and outrage from both sides of the coin help their cause (i.e. profit).

In fact, the only time you really see a politically biased article on pitchfork is when it appears on the pitch which is NOT written by staff. Not that anyone on this board seems to actually understand that.

The idea that pitchfork can't report on Swans without mentioning the allegations is a flat out lie. http://pitchfork.com/news/65758-listen-to-swans-new-song-when-will-i-return/ http://pitchfork.com/news/65086-swans-share-live-footage-of-new-song-cloud-of-unknowing-watch/

The rest of your post is bullshit though, mate. You don't know anything about Michael Gira, at most you've spent 5 minutes talking to him at a concert. I'm not saying he's guilty of the allegations, but what I'm saying is that you're not as impartial as you think. You clearly have a vested interest in this and you've taken an absolute position in a matter that can not and likely will never be proven one way or another.
>>
>>65679547
*he, the review wasn't written by Laura

Laura gave alleged rapist David Bowie a 10.0, though (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21478-low/).
>>
Is World of Skin good?
>>
>TAKE US!
>TAKE US!!!

0____0
>>
>>65679626
It's okay, doesn't really live up to any Swans material IMO.
>>
>>65679595

I'm not saying I "know" Gira, or I'm impartial (I believe I mentioned that before) but it seems pretty far fetched that he actually said "I'm gonna make you a star baby, you can trust me". Who the fuck Gira ever made a star, including himself ?

If the story was Gira raped someone violently, put shit in their rectum etc. (you get the idea), I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Of course I can't be completely objective (no one can, including the ones who want to believe the story and I'm not blaming them for it), but that doesn't mean I can have a better opinion than "OMG white cis male of course it happened" you could see on twitter around those days.

BTW, Pitchfork didn't share the Facebook posts by Siobhan Duffy (Gira's ex-wife), or Norman Westberg's wife, or the female member of Heroes Are Gang Members, or Grimm's ex-agent, yet they shared almost anything Grimm wrote & her song for victims.
>>
>>65679670
CHIIIIILDREEEEEENNN.... I'm BLIIIIIIINNDD
>>
>>65679626
If you like Children of God era Swans then go for it.
>>
>>65679842
Far fetched on what basis? You admit that you don't know Gira. I doubt you've even met him. You literally know nothing about his personality, the accused's personality or their relationship. Literally zero. You've decided this single quote is nonsense based on pure conjecture and thus have rejected the entirety of her allegations. Nevermind that it's in the realm of possibility that people can lie about their success, their reach, can manipulate, etc. And no, I'm not saying that this is even what happened.

They posted the statements of the two people directly involved. Pitchfork also didn't share facebook posts that were supportive of Grimm, so what's your fucking point? You sure as fuck weren't bitching about that. Let's be honest here, you're upset that Pitchfork didn't do more to attack Grimm or disqualify her statements. It's not that you want pitchfork to be impartial, it's that you want them to take YOUR stance.
>>
>>65680081
the alleged victim's personality* not the accused, sorry
>>
>>65680081
Not that guy but the beliefs everybody formed of Gira being innocent weren't the result of any kind of bias or agenda (for the most part) but the testimonies and alleged proof from countless other parties, coupled with the inconsistent/contradictory nature of Grimm's posts.
>>
>>65680160
Sorry, but this is 4chan, home of /pol/tards, MRAs and gators. As soon as those allegations came out people were immediately taking an anti-Grimm stand. Would you like me to pull out some of the original threads before these "testimonies," "proofs" or "inconsistencies" came out? How many people do you really think took a neutral stance?

Even if the allegations are false in reality, you people have a pretty bad case of confirmation bias so it's really no shock to me that you've found a crap load of evidence you went looking for.

Give me a fucking break man.
>>
>>65680081

The first paragraph is exactly what everyone on the internet did / is currently doing. And that single quote is obviously not my only problem with the story, it's the one that's most stuck in my mind and I have no desire to go back and read anything related to that shitstorm, including from the Gira side. It was ugly on both sides.

No, I don't want Pitchfork to attack Grimm more, I want them to include everything related to it if they decide to cover it. If you're gonna make money on an ugly subject like that, you should at least be more responsible, and I don't think they were.

Lastly, there weren't many posts that were supportive of Grimm (I'm talking about people who are involved with them one way or another), IIRC one was from a guy who used to work with Swans as a producer in the '80s & now works with Grimm and one was from Tony Visconti, who just said the one time he met Gira he was drunk and gave him a too strong handshake (how does that relate in anyway is beyond me).

Forget Duffy's post, or Westberg's wife post or Larkin's agents, but don't you think they should have posted the statement from the woman who is in HAGM, considering Larkin started all this with a story about her experience in that band & claimed she was harassed too ?
>>
>>65680284
Obviously there was shock bias to begin with, but only from a select outspoken few. Many others (myself included) didn't care as much but pointed out that Gira was the one seeking legal action, and not her who sought exclusively the backing of Twitter. When it came out that she had a history of false accusations as well as proof against her word (we're talking literally hours after is blew up on here), most people were able to make up their mind.
>>
>>65680284

"That guy" here :

I'm afraid I wasn't in /mu/ around that time and have no idea what people posted. Although I've seen a lot of shit on facebook that were supportive of Gira and I'm not in any way siding with that kind of behaviour either.
>>
>>65680284
Women don't give a fuck about "taste" they just want to feel good - if your taste makes them feel good then use it

If they listen to Beach House then you can say you're into it and it adds some emotional depth and vibes that can be positive

What really matters is just knowing what the fuck you're doing in general or else you're gonna be fucked and she's not going to think you're alpha and worth her time

She has to have the illusion - or reality - that you're one of the "alpha" men on some level

Which you can create or live in many different ways, it's up to you

But christ, making women the center of your world sounds so horrible. They really are pathetically trivial creatures in general.

At the same time, you can learn so much from them... honestly it just is something I don't know how to solve, an endless mystery almost

All I know is better to be alpha than a cuck, at the same time though if you get too attached to being alpha, you lose your sense of self and your existence

It's just generally really frustrating and confusing to me with the end result being the sense that I'm literally incapable of relating to or respecting women on any level

I literally just see them as sort of like mentally handicapped children - all of them

I can't respect them

I mean these words completely and it's really upsetting and frustrating
>>
>>65678162
James Ferraro's new album

Its Vaporwave, but its not slowed down samples, its actual production and effort
>>
>>65680388
>but only from a select outspoken few
Bullshit. The original thread was full of misogynists.

Look at any thread on this site where a woman is accusing a male of abuse. Did you ever visit any of the Ke$ha threads, dude?
>>
File: elliot_rodger3-620x412.jpg (26 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
elliot_rodger3-620x412.jpg
26 KB, 620x412
>>65680511
>this isn't copypasta
>>
>>65679414
>Circus Mort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8C_9s1D-A

Nigga, that's some good shit.

Also, Swans EP is severely underrated.
>>
>>65680284
I'm not even remotely a /pol/ user, really most mu would tell me to go to Tumblr or label me an SJW or some shit but this post is just pointless posturing

it's unknowable whether or not the alleged rape happened, I try to be neutral towards it, I actually LIKE Grimm's music as well as Gira's. Whereas with Ke$ha, for example, I do believe that she's telling the truth. Citing "oh /mu/ has MRAs on it so it's confirmation bias" is bullshit, there are legitimate inconsistencies in her story

anyway who fucking cares about pitchfork or scores or whatever
>>
>>65677975
Horrible band, horrible album
>>
>>65680730
>anyway who fucking cares about pitchfork or scores or whatever
word, cheers m8
>>
>can barely have a swans thread anymore without arguing about a rape that literally no one other than Gira or Grimm will ever know happened or not.

Fuck you Grimm.
>>
>>65680511
dumb sjw
>>
>>65680911
Give it a year, everyone will have forgotten. Hell, most people have forgotten already but there's always that one person who brings it up.
>>
>>65680985
this. no one gives a fuck about the modest mouse thing anymore and people who bring it up are b8ing.

just ignore it, it's either b8 or people who want to argue about cultural issues
>>
How is something album of the year to you if it has a track that's unlistenable?
>>
>>65681125
the year is that shit
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.