[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this their best album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Sung_Tongs_(Front_Cover).png (151 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Sung_Tongs_(Front_Cover).png
151 KB, 316x316
Is this their best album?
>>
yes, it actually bothers me that /mu/ doesn't recognize this as their true magnum opus, as charming as thier other albums are I don't think they achieve the MAGIC that sung tongs has
>>
>>65672194
That isn't their first
>>
>>65672194
no
>>
File: feels.jpg (72 KB, 445x445) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
72 KB, 445x445
>>65672194
nope but Feels is
>>
>>65672194
It's their album that I resonate with the most musically and emotionally

I mean god damn

I really appreciate:

- The layers of guitar and the off pattern strumming

- The intense electronic /sample based influences that mesh seamlessly with the acoustic nature of the album

- The strange, dissect-able time signatures and key changes

- The great attention to lyrical detail and the way the lyrics contribute to the music percussively and melodically, but also they way they seem to throw meaning and clarity out the window

- The vast array of song types and song structures, but a cohesive type of sound on that carries through each song

- The rawness and intimacy of the percussion and the recordings in general

- The chant-able and memorable melodies found on each song, esp. Leaf House, WCWAR, Kids on Holiday, College, We Tigers, Mouth Wooed Her

- The balls to create one of the best acoustic ambient/noise songs ever

- The overwhelming joy and fervor found in songs like Winters Love, Sweet Road, and We Tigers

What I don't appreciate:

- The order of the songs. The last three songs don't follow the same rollercoaster of song structure that the rest of the album leads you through.

I will probably listen to this album for the rest of my life. It is one of my favorite albums, if not my favorite. I love it and it has altered my perception of music and life in general, in ways that are too personal to share and too lengthy to write out.
>>
>>65672588
Good post and nice dubs. This is a great articulation of everything that makes sung tongs so special. Truly anco's mangum o piss
>>
>>65672588
Well said anon, may I borrow your posts for future reference?
>>
>>65672697
Yeah man, do whatever you want.
>>
>>65672194
yes
spirit comes close though
>>
>>65672858
Thank you sir
>>
File: here comes the indian.png (133 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
here comes the indian.png
133 KB, 220x220
>>
>>65672588
based anon
>>
>>65672194
one of my favorite but Spirits Is Their Best
>>
>>65672194
Probably, but a lot of people will never really get into past the first two and We Tigers. IMO it does the ambient/minimal thong better than Feels.
>>
>>65672194
absolutely, though Hollinndagain and HCtI come close too
>>65672588
great post, but the last three songs are some of the best on the album anon
>inb4 Whaddit I Done
it's fucking great too
>>65675759
>>65672460
awful
>>
>>65673582
HCTI is situational best. There's nothing better than waking up, being all sleepy, and play this record. But it's objectively a musical mess.

>>65672460
Feel is my shit. I second this opinion.

>>65676819
>inb4 Whaddit I Done
>it's fucking great too

my nigga, I love this track. very underrated.
>>
>>65676889
Whaddit I Done is like the end of the winter vacation that is Sung Tongs as a whole. Good Lovin Outside is the walk back to the cabin in the snow, and Whaddit I Done is the more intimate wistful car trip going home down the mountain. it's really great.
>>
>>65676889
I don't think the songs individually are poor songs. What I meant is that the momentum of the album seems to fall a little flat near the end. I've experimented putting Good Lovin Outside in different places, which helped remedy the problem a bit. But I love Whaddit I Done as a closer. Its contrast to the rest of the album as a closer is kindof similar to Recyling on Painting With
>>
>>65676978
I can kinda see what you mean, but I think that having such a slow closing sequence fits it perfectly, both in pace and in atmosphere. IMO the two songs that drag down the album a bit are Kids On Holiday and The Softest Voice (in placing at least, though they are my two least favorite tracks as well.)
>>
>>65672194
it's close
>>
>>65676889
>HCTI is situational best. There's nothing better than waking up, being all sleepy, and play this record. But it's objectively a musical mess.
You are objectively a pleb. Here Comes the Indian is a masterpiece and the best album Animal Collective has ever released.
>>
>>65678542
this, but Sung Tongs and Hollinndagain are better
>>
File: 81J7coHyJ7L._SL1417_.jpg (263 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
81J7coHyJ7L._SL1417_.jpg
263 KB, 1417x1417
coming through with the actual best anco album
>>
>>65678691
"no"
>>
YOU DONT NEED TO GOOOOOOOOO TOOOOOOO COLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEGE
>>
>>65672194
yes
>>
>>65672234
Actually I find that this album somehow mimics the "magic" childish feeling from STGSTV. Even though they are wildly different instrumentally, I still see them as similar in the feeling they bring. It's almost like they're opposite sides of the same coin; one feels very dark and childish while the other feels very happy and childish.

HCTI is still my fav though
>>
>>65672588
Best music review I've read in a long time senpai. Completely unpretentious and states exactly what makes the album so special. (Although I personally like the way that the last three songs kind of blend into each other after the stylistic variety of the rest of the album.)
>>
>>65672588
Do you have an alt tracklist? I never listen to the last 3 songs.
>>
File: meme album..png (33 KB, 697x585) Image search: [Google]
meme album..png
33 KB, 697x585
>>65678915
not him, just pulled something out of my ass
>>
File: OLIVES.jpg (36 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
OLIVES.jpg
36 KB, 720x404
>tfw your friends ask you to play music, and you play AnCo, and they don't "get it"
>>
"Visiting Friends" is my favorite AnCo song and I am constantly asking for similar songs/albums that aren't Campfire Songs.
>>
>>65679609
same
it's like acoustic shoegaze and it's fucking beautiful
>>
>>65679609
world of echo, arthur russel?
>>
>>65679455
I can relate to this, people on /mu/ saying that anco isn't deep and basic stuff and once I played a song from MPP and everyone is giving me 'that look'
>>
>sympathize with the retard being held by his mother
>>
>>65679664
>he fell for the MPP is for normies meme
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.