[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
autist finds out that a band he likes sucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: muse.jpg (24 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
muse.jpg
24 KB, 1024x769
I used to listen to MUSE a lot, and out of curiosity i looked at the reviews for their albums, only to see that Pitchfork shits all over them. Now, I never thought their albums were good, only some tracks, but apparently "Knights of Cydonia" is awful. I loved that song.

So now I'm asking myself, how do I recognize music to be "good" or "bad"? I never studied music theory and have no idea how songs, rhythm, tempo or whatever works. What do you pick on in a song to decide whether it's "good" or "not"?

I want to be able to form actual opinions on music, rather than being influenced by reviews and public opinion. How do I do it?
>>
>>65668478
>listening to cuckfork

Half of their albums are good, the second half is embarrassing
>>
>>65668478
well, do you like a song? if yes, then to you it's good. music is subjective friend
>>
basically this >>65668527

make your own fucking opinions
>>
Music is completely subjective, if you like it, then it is good. Don't let the rats on this board tell you otherwise
>>
basically this >>65668572

You will make your own oppinions OP or else!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>65668572
When i listen to stuff I often don't pick up on things going on in the background that other people are able to: I want to be able to do that so I can enjoy listening to music more. Is the only way to achieve this listening to more music?
>>
>>65668478

this >>65668527

in muses case as a fellow fan i can honestly say that after black holes and revelations its not great i can pick one or two songs off of each album that i like and then i hate the rest which was never the case for me before so you're not alone there

on the flip side with the availability of music on yt and such if you're relying on reviews of weather a song is good or not you're doing it wrong
>>
>>65668478
Who fucking gives a flying fuck what p4k thinks you drone cunt faggot
>>
>>65668527
>music is subjective

Is this a "shit plebs say" thread?
>>
>>65668758
To clarify, music is subjective to a degree, you fucking autist
>>
>>65668721
a site like pitchfork seems to be an authority on how good something is (and obviously that doesn't dictate whether it's enjoyable or not), as I mentioned before, I don't have a lot of experience in knowing what makes a song good.
>>
Having an opinion on music is obviously based on listening to music. When you have listened to enough albums (especially 'classics') or gone deeper into genres, you'll be more able to appreciate things such as originality, good/bad production, lyrics, etc.
>>
>>65668854
(it is only an authority for me personally)
>>
>>65668854
You should just stop listening to music (and maybe kill yourself)
>>
Pre-2008 Muse was pretty good
>>
liking something doesn't mean it's great, and not liking something doesn't mean it's bad

I don't believe in progress of taste. the things that made you like Muse so much weren't illusory - but if you keep searching for great music, you'll discover that a bunch of bands that seriously influenced Muse are much more enjoyable than they are.

basically, if you never found any more music the rest of your life, there's no reason not to settle for Muse; but once you realize it's not as great as you thought, then the onus is on you to find better music, which won't invalidate those earlier pleasures, but will make them look shallow and trivial by comparison. but that will be alright because you'll already be set up with something much better, so you won't feel nostalgic about having liked Muse once.
>>
---------
MUSE
---------

i like their logo, it's visually pleasing

that's about it nowadays tho
>>
>>65669224
kek
>>
Is their stage show the greatest in music?
>>
>>65668526
Man, I can never understand this. Their fist 2 albums are the most generic 90s angsty toothless alternative shit in the world. Absolution is shitty alt metal.

At least with BHAR they did some bombastic genre fusion and Bellamy finally learnt some diaphragmatic support.
>>
>>65668527
Kek dont listen to this OP, music is very much not sebjective when it comes to how good or bad a piece is. The only subjective part is whether youre an idiot enoigh to enioy simple drum beats in 4/4 at a comfortable rhythm with some bargain bin synths or smart to understand complexity in music
>>
>>65669289
>Absolution is shitty alt metal.
wait, what?
>>
>>65669348
Well, some of the songs, the ones that aren't somnolent piano ballads with Bellamy's shitty falsetto.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.