[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Songwriting Motivation :-)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: milky.jpg (135 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
milky.jpg
135 KB, 1024x768
It dawned on me today while thinking about sofas or whatever that writing music is just creating a thing that someone is willing to pay for because it's important to them for some reason. If a person thinks that the ship has sailed on them ever being at the very least a good songwriter/ musician because they didn't start in their teens well I just wanna let you know you're wrong! There are people in the world that fly fighter jets and commercial jets for a living and people that operate on other human beings. Are these things more complicated than writing a good song that people would pay money to listen to? Yeah probably. Were surgeons and fighter pilot's doing that stuff when they were 14? No I doubt it. So stop being lazy start writing music get good and then be famous :-) If that fucking retard car seat headrest can do then my handicapped dog could too.
>>
>>65660740
My man
>>
>>65661120
Thanks you too :-)
>>
Thanks Malkshake
>>
>>65661312
No problem stay safe :-)
>>
you could say that flying a jet is easier than making a good song.
>>
>>65661396
I highly doubt it friend. Musicians are just portrayed as god-like beings and pilots aren't. There would be a lot less time involved training to write a good song than to fly a jet.
>>
>>65660740
I love to see some positivity on /mu/. Keep up the good work OP
>>
Is this a meme?????
>>
>>65662159
I'm just sharing my thoughts glad you enjoyed :-)

>>65662234
No dude
>>
NO BIGGGG HAIRRRRR
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 380x285
>>65662690
>>
>>65662713
I'm currently listening to all his Jicks stuff Steve is such a good songwriter :-)
>>
>>65662733
Honestly I'm just very happy at the moment because I've made some good progress in my songwriting over the past few days after developing my theory and learning to truly believe in myself and I can see myself being a lot better by the end of the summer :-)
>>
>>65662790
:-)
>>
>>65662950
thanks man. I hope more people read my thread and start writing music.
>>
>>65663081
Yeah it's gone well so far :-)
>>
post some of it when you're done famwich
>>
>>65660740
This is so good.
>>
>>65663149
No way I never said it was good I'm just getting better. I've got a cheap microphone coming in the mail soon so I can start playing with layering and stuff with my guitar in ableton or something. For about 2 years I've just been micing my amp with my iphone 4 and then syncing the files and putting them together in ableton but that is super tedious. I know that Johnny Marr used to use layers to come up with his riffs on early Smiths records and more recently Ducktails uses that kind of method as well. I've got about 300 original recordings so far but none of them are really complete just because of how difficult my set-up is. Hopefully that changes soon though :-)
>>
>>65663286
what's your setup?
>>
>>65663694
My setup is an old guitar amplifier that I bought for 40 dollars 9 years ago that I use to amplify my yamaha cs1x synth and my fender strat. I've also got two acoustic guitars and I record it all with my iphone and piece together in ableton. I'm looking to buy a bass atm so I can finish all my unfinished material.
>>
File: beansintheaisle.jpg (44 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
beansintheaisle.jpg
44 KB, 700x700
>>65660740
>If that fucking retard car seat headrest can do then my handicapped dog could too.

this is literally the only motivation you need
>>
>>65663694
it's difficult because with my iphone I cant record straight into ableton. ive got to record something, put it in ableton, then listen to that recording in ableton through headphones while I am playing along and recording what I'm playing with my iphone micing the amp. I've got sync my iphone everytime I have recorded something new so it's daunting. new mic should make it a lot easier soon though :-)

>>65663869
truly it is.
>>
>>65663923
>>65663839
ah fuck, at least youu have a good synth and guitar

all i have is a 20$ mic, a squier tele, a 200$ classical guitar, this cheap ass drumkit that sounds like ass and a couple of cheap china made hand drums

i'd like to invest in an audio interface a solid 100$ mic and maybe a synth but the money situation isn't good at all
>>
Also I'd just like to tell everyone that there is no feeling more special than the excitement of sitting down at your piano or with your guitar and being able to produce something that you're proud of and something that you know will evoke a feeling from another human.

>>65664111
I've only got a squier tele too! you're set up is more expensive than mine. you dont need lots of fancy gear look what springsteen or nick drake have accomplished with just a guitar and a 4-track. songwriting in my opinion is the most important tool for any musician to have.
>>
i'm lucky enough to have an audio interface, and a bunch of mics cause an old bandmate left it all at my house and never came to pick it up. recently bought my first electric (a J Mascis Signature Squier JM) and have a cheap 50 dollar bass, so i've been playing with garageband a lot and the results have been pretty pleasing. right now i'm just working on becoming a better songwriter and lyricist. especially the latter. i'm garbage at lyrics.
>>
>>65664220
awesome dude!
>>
>>65664220
just listen to as much music that you like as possible and write as much as possible. I think that listening to a lot of music that you like and memorizing the melody's subconsciously is very important because when you're writing, without even knowing it, you're referencing all the music you've ever listened to and enjoyed so much that it's been memorized somewhere in your head. understanding how your favorite artists write their melodies is also extremely useful. :-)
>>
>>65664214
there is nothing more frustrating to me than have a specific sound on my head and then being unable to reproduce it just because i don't have way to do it. yeah i have a computer with fl studio, but i can't figure out the exact sound i want and making music with computers feels so cramped to me. another thing is, i often get lost when i compose like, how many bars should i play these chords or when should the chorus come in or when should i end this song? all of this just doesn't motivate me.

anyway sorry for the rant mates.
>>
>>65664417
You're thinking about it way too much. Trust me I used to have those exact thoughts. At one point I was listening to albums and taking notes and trying to draw diagrams of songs as if the artist that wrote them was some genius that had it all planned out before they picked up their guitar. that's not how it works thank god. when thinking about stuff like 'how should I play this chord' or 'how long should this part go on for' or any kind of overly analytical thought like that, the answer is always 'for as long as you think it sounds good'. I dont even know what a bar is and I can write songs. you dont even have to really understand what a verse or chorus is. play what sounds good to you. that might be hard at first if what you want to play is out of your skill range, and that does suck. you should record what you've wrote, listen to it, and then decide whether or not your chorus is too long or too boring or whatever. just listen to music and write! you'll get better I promise, but actively being surrounded by music is very important :-)
>>
>>65664354
also diversify your taste as much as possible. i've found very inspiring stuff in africa and the middle east.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvRxvldQpaQ
IFANG BONDI - Xaleli Africa (they play a mean guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQNOZXV4Dk
nice jazz vibes from lebanon
>>
>>65664574
Cool stuff. Thanks man. I used to play a lot by myself but I don't touch an instrument since like 1 year and a half ago because I became so disappointed with myself. I may pick up that guitar again.
>>
>>65664609
Yes my dude! Old foreign music is where it's at in terms of inspiration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEBTEBz9jv0
This sounds a lot like The Pixies to me and came out around the same time as well. I'm convinced they inspired Frank Black in some way seens as he was living in south america for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f0Qt0KBbk0
Sounds a lot like Hype Williams/ early Dean Blunt stuff to me.

>>65664724
Please do dude!
>>
>>65664751
That's some cool stuff right there.
>>
>>65664751
Pixies is my favorite band, and that first link was so fye to hear
>>
>>65664946
Crazy right? If I remember correctly that album and Pixies debut were released the same year. I'm pretty sure also that their band had a previous release to the one I posted as well.
>>
>>65666409
this is the funniest and maybe the most pathetic post i've ever seen on /mu/
>>
>>65666628
he's right except CSH is good

everyone who browses this board is too cynical and consumed with narcissism to be able to churn out honest art
>>
>>65666409
hope you're alright man, clearly got some issues going on. we're all here to talk if you need us
>>
>>65666689
it's the fact that he quoted everyone in the whole thread and pulled CSH out of nowhere that makes it funny
>>
>>65667003
thanks man, yeah I've been feeling a little bit down. My sister started having seizures again so she can't drive herself to work anymore. Without her helping me pay for my moms medical expenses I don't know what I'm going to do.

overall it's been a rough few weeks, getting a second job as a janitor at the hospital doesn't help. The constant daily reminder that none of us are much more than a carcrash away from being vegetables is saddening.

I'm also constantly worrying that I'll cross my own mother in the hospital, she goes for chemo sometimes. I'd hate for her to know that I got a second job just to take care of her... w.e man, not feeling great I guess
>>
>>65666689
his songwriting is not clever, his production is not interesting, his personality is not tolerable in the least.

if you really think car seat headrest makes good music, we have completely different taste in music
>>
>>65667293
wew
>>
:-)
>>
(-:
>>
>>65666689
he's right about csh, he's wrong about the rest
cynicism and narcissism are in no way barriers to producing art. do you even think before typing this shit?
>>
>>65667293
>>65666409
>>65666409
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.