[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did the song "Heroes" invent shoegaze?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: heroes-david-bowie.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
heroes-david-bowie.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
did the song "Heroes" invent shoegaze?
>>
>>65659966
It's All Too Much

Don't listen to the Beach Boy shills who say All I Wanna Do did, it was after and it's not even shoegaze

Heroes and Here Come the Warm Jets were deffo an influence though
>>
no, Ride did
>>
every time someone on /mu/ asks "did X song invent shoegaze", the answer is always no
>>
File: SkyValley.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SkyValley.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>65660015
Unless X = Welcome to Sky Valley
>>
>>65660015
Did the song that invented shoegaze invent shoegaze? Hmm?
>>
What was shoegaze about it? I don't hear it.
>>
What's shoegaze?
>>
>>65660071
theres a long reverby/distorted guitar present throughout the song. and that is pretty much what shoegaze is
>>
This is legit the most summer post yet
>>
>>65660098
Reverb and distortion don't make shoegaze anon.
Those effects were combined way before the genre started.
>>
>>65660119
isnt the whole shoegaze genre pretty much defined by long reverby guitars tho?
>>
no
Bowie's collaborator Eno was crafting proto-shoegaze a few years earlier on his album Here Come the Warm Jets. listen to Needles in the Camel's Eye and the title track.
>>
>>65660140
no, it's the noise element
>>
>>65660206
>>65660180
the more you know. thanks
>>
>>65660140
have you listened to shoegaze? it's not defined by reverbed guitars. that would just sound like guitars in a huge cathedral. distortion and volume is far more important to the guitar work than any other effect. and the most important element is obscured vocals beneath the guitars. I'm not even a shoegaze fan. you're such a fucking plebeian.
>>
>>65660140
No, it's defined by using effects, intonation, bending and whatever tools you find to create music that sounds and feels in a particular way, usually very noisy, but not abrasive.

It was a "small" music movement in the UK that continues to this day, but with less force.

"Heroes" is a good song, but don't try to find silly genre connections where there are none.
>>
>>65660206
>>65660234
>>65660242
>Heroes doesn't qualify under these criteria
>>
>>65660234
>the most important element is obscured vocals

The vocals are not the most important element of shoegaze at all your pleb.
>>
>>65660270
Well no, it doesn't really give off the vibe that shoegaze is intended to have, does it?
Have you listened to any shoegaze albums at all anon?
>>
>>65660407
Fripp's guitar is 100% a precursor to shoegaze regardless of 'intended vibe'.
>>
>>65660473
To you, maybe.
To me? Definitely no (Fripp is still a bliss to listen to, though).
Again, have you listened to enough shoegaze to have a reference to compare his guitar sound to?
>>
>>65660061
really makes you think...
>>
>>65660270
are you retarded lad
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.