[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not often do bands successfully reach a creative peak as strong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Not often do bands successfully reach a creative peak as strong as these two bands did with 'The Moon and Antarctica' and 'Perfect From Now On'. Both albums utilize experimentation, but also stay true to the bands relative style crafted across previous albums. Musically, the bands used complex arrangements with a wide variety of instruments, and took full advantage of studio manipulation, a major step forward from previous "guitar/bass/drums" and "verse/chorus/verse" setups. Lyrically, the songwriting captures deep philosophical ideas and complex relationships, without sacrificing the singers' established styles. Both bands were unable to surpass these two releases, and very few bands have made such a creative leap in their discographies.
>>
I dont know what to add. But, good post
>>
>>65658625
I certainly agree on PFNO and I hold that album in much higher regard than the rest of BTS' discog and 90s indie rock in general. It's pretty mindblowing.

I've never actually heard TM&A tho. I dig LCW but I found it a little overlong and unfocused at times.
>>
>>65658938
definitely give M&A a listen. If you love Perfect From Now On you'd probably really dig it
>>
>>65658625
>Both albums utilize experimentation
How so?
>>
>>65658625
and the singers sound the same
>>
>>65659302
idunno, they're similar but doug martsch has more of a neil young thing going on
>>
>>65658625
moon and antarctica is not a step away from verse/chorus/verse setups. it's a move towards it.
>>
>>65659302
eh, doug is a lot more nasally and melodic

>>65658625
love this post though. M&A is my favorite album. always happy to see other people say nice things about it
>>
>>65658625
'the lonesome crowded west' fixed that for ya :)
>>
I prefer LCW and TNWWL but okay.
>>
i'd contesr that lcw was more of a departure from verse/chorus and standard indie rock tropes, but i guess i can see it for m&a. agree with pfno

wish we had more posts like this on /mu/.
good job OP
>>
>>65660588
This. Good News feels like the natural followup to M&A considering the direction M&A took. I honestly can't imagine that many people were surprised by how formulaic Good News is.
>>
Classic 90s indie rock like BTS, Pavement and Guided By Voices doesn't really have much of a following on /mu/ but PFNO is a truly god tier album, highly recommended
>>
>>65661416
>Classic 90s indie rock like BTS, Pavement and Guided By Voices doesn't really have much of a following on /mu/
r u joking

these bands are like the hipster's bread and butter. LCW is their Led Zep IV, Slanted&Enchanted is their DSOTM, Bee Thousand is their Sgt Peppers

I'm not saying that makes em bad but they are p4kcore (and by extension, /mu/core) through and through
>>
File: only good albums.png (882 KB, 793x889) Image search: [Google]
only good albums.png
882 KB, 793x889
>>65661002
>>65661088
this. i'd say that moon and antarica, while being almost (or even just) as good as LCW, doesn't really overhaul their performance or style. hell, even LCW isn't even THAT much of a creative improvement/departure from Long Drive. Again, all three are fucking great, of course.
>>
>>65661416
Nobody gave a shit about them like 5 years ago, but the popularity of 90's indie rock has grown immensely on /mu/ the last few years. I guess that's what happens to good bands who are newly discovered by a generation that is too young to grow up with them.
>>
>>65661616
that, and the fact that most of the people who did grow up with them are older than most /mu/ users
>>
>>65660588
True

I would say LCW (and Long Drive) is better than TM&A, but all three are some of the best albums ever, let alone PFNO
>>
>>65661616
Wtf?

Guitar driven indie rock had a resurgence from 09-13, but since then its fallen WAY outta style. Guided By Voices may be my all time favourite band, but I haven't even listened to them in over 6 months.
>>
>>65658625
>baby cum angels

nice
>>
The Lonesome Crowded West is so clearly their best album it's pretty much out of the question.

Anything before is relatively unrefined amateur hour and anything after is polished, indie-kid Modest Mouse.

Still most of their discography is good though.
>>
>>65661616
the fuck are you talking about? I'm not sure you have been here for 5 years, because 90s indie was fucking worshipped back then. if anything, the near-universal love for it is winding down now. 90s indie started becoming very "in" in the late 00s
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.