[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Garbage actually good or do you guys just crush on Shirley Manson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Is Garbage actually good or do you guys just crush on Shirley Manson?
>>
>>65633496
i like their song in ATV offroad fury 2
>>
Yes, and yes.
>>
>>65633496
She was hot 20 years ago. Their music is ok. Not great, not shit, just meh.
>>
>>65633496
Garbage are great for real. So many excellent songs and so many amazing live performances!

Their fans crush on Shirley Manson too.
>>
>>65633496
Singles band imo. Can't get into their albums.
>>
>>65633714
Not even their first 2? These albums are flawless and very likeable.
>>
>>65633774
They were alright but I didn't love them.
>>
I really like Beautiful Garbage, but I've grown sick of Butch Vig production in general
>>
>>65633982
What about their first 2 albums?
>>
Garbage is a decent album for what it is by 90s alt standards, and Version 2.0 is actually a significantly different direction and a legitimately good album.

And it's just as much of Butch Vig's codification as a legendary producer as it is a crush on Shirley Manson.
>>
>>65633496
Love the music most.
>>
>>65633496
I like them. Not as much as when I was a teenager though. Their exploration of androgyny and gender in the lyrics on later albums is kind of shallow/dated, and leaves a lot to be desired. Version 2.0 has a lot of great songs, and Vow off the debut is still amazing.
>>
>>65635903
You know, it's funny but for some reason, they sound really uninteresting to me. It's funny because I've seen people on this board and on RYM praise the first and the second album over the third, when to me it's so clear the third one was a by far better record and basically their magnum opus.

Don't get me wrong: their first 2 albums do have killer main singles. The rest of both albums though? Pretty much skippable. And I've listened to them several times over to understand where I was wrong. I wasn't.

It's easy as fuck to see why Beautiful Garbage gets hate. It's far more poppy. It's less alt-rock, more alt-pop. However, it all doesn't matter when the melodies are simply majestic. The whole record just feels so much more confident. Beside the singles, there's a total banger of Silence Is Golden, Phil Spector goodness of Can't Cry These Tears, and amazingly touching Drive You Home and Cup of Coffee that add so much more emotional dimension to Garbage.

And the people have the gall to call it disappointing? After the 2 albums of filler plus singles?
>>
>>65633496

I was way into Garbage before I ever saw Shirley Manson's face

That said, yes and yes
>>
My main memory of Garbage is in 1999 they did the title song for "The World is Not Enough," and somewhere around 2002 I eventually saw the movie and thought it was kinda' cool so I got on my late 90's Dell desktop computer with dial-up internet and searched Lycos for "Garbage band."

This brought up the last.fm page, and I listened to "Garbage radio."

Pretty much immediately they played "All Mine" by Portishead.

Anyway now I'm almost 30, and I'm a pretentious unemployed shitbag. T-t-thanks, Garbage.
>>
>>65636184
>After the 2 albums of filler plus singles?
Honestely, I think you're wrong. That "filler" is on par with the singles. Supervixen, As Heaven Is Wide, Not My Idea, A Stroke of Luck, Fix Me Now, Temptation Waits, Hammering in My Head, Sleep Together, Dumb, etc they're all fucking great, bro. I'm not even talking about B-sides...
>>
>>65636273
Different anon, I think they're pretty on par with the singles, but I think their sound in general, while still enjoyable, is a little dated.
>>
>>65636443
But it's electronic rock (guitars & synths), a genre still alive.
>>
>>65633496
Why not both?

Not Your Kind of People was a pretty great album. Probably one of the better band reunion albums I've heard, Control and Man on a Wire are GOAT.
>>
File: MI0004055764.jpg (159 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
MI0004055764.jpg
159 KB, 1080x1080
What about their new record?
>>
>>65636500
You don't think those albums sound incredibly 90s? I still like them, but they definitely sound dated.
>>
>>65636572
They're not dated to me. The production is glossier than the typical 90s rock album. Compare them with Pearl Jam for example.
>>
>>65636560
I think it's their 3rd best. Not as immediate as their previous work, but a grower.
>>
>>65636572
Nothing wrong with an album sounding of its time. You shouldn't expect music to sound timeless.
>>
>>65636614
>>65636686
Yeah, they sound more like 90s trip hop albums. I still enjoy them quite a bit, I just don't really agree that they sound as though they could have been made yesterday (which isn't a big deal). To each her own.
>>
>>65633496
They're Garbage.
>>
>>65636828
I lol'd
>>
>>65633514
Patrician game desu
>>
It takes me way back to when I played NHL 2000 back on the PC. One of the best pre-game videos ever imo
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.