[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /mu/, which one of them is a bigger douche/idiot/no taste hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: Xgau Scruffy.jpg (39 KB, 726x242) Image search: [Google]
Xgau Scruffy.jpg
39 KB, 726x242
So, /mu/, which one of them is a bigger douche/idiot/no taste hack?
>>
my personal opinion Christgau is the bigger hack

Scaruffi might sound pretentious but at least he can give an argument while Christgau's reviews are just 2 to 3 lines
>>
>>65633272
I hate Scaruffi but Crustagu has some horrible, horrible, horrible opinions and a hate boner against prog
>>
>>65633272
Fantano.
>>
>/mu/ in a nutshell
>critics of critics
>>
>>65633372
this
>>
>>65633297
>I hate Scaruffi but Crustagu has some horrible, horrible, horrible opinions

Including his politics which are a pile of fail and AIDS.

>As someone who's always believed the stupid pleasures of mass culture deserve more respect than they get from intellectuals of any political stripe, I'm very sympathetic to this tendency. I suspect it's prophetic, too, which doesn't necessarily mean it will ever be fully reflected in the Pazz & Jop consensus. But it does partake of a certain voluptuous beat-me beat-me passivity that I find suspicious as the reign of Reagan drags to its enervating close.

Basically he was upset that there wasn't some mass youth protest movement about Iran-Contra or whatever is is Democrats were whining about back then.
>>
>>65633504
Scaruffi > Fantano >>> Christgau

Xgau is simply fucking ridiculous
>>
George Starostin >>>>> Scaruffi > Fantano >>> Pitchfork > Christgau
>>
I do admire Christgau's sheer stubbornness to keep hanging in there...in some of his columns from the 80s-90s he says that most of his peers had tuned out of new music a long time ago and didn't understand how he could still look forward to new artists.
>>
>>65633563
Marcel is better than all of them combined
>>
>>65633525
Abbie Hoffmann said likewise, a lot of those 60sfags did the same. It didn't make any sense to them why Gen Xers just wanted to rock out to Motley Crue and didn't think Ronald Reagan was the Antichrist.

The thing a lot of them missed is that young people rarely care about politics that don't directly affect them. That the protest movement in the 60s happened is because kids were getting drafted into a war. If that had been a volunteer army, you think they'd give a damn? That's all it was. Only a small minority of nutcases like the Black Panthers actually wanted to burn capitalism to the ground. Most kids just wanted the freedom to have a good time and get stoned.
>>
>>65633621
Marcel who?
>>
It's easy as pudding to figure out what Christgau likes in music:

1. Loud
2. Catchy
3. Leftard politics
4. Optimistic
5. Artist is from NYC
>>
>>65633749
http://marcelsmusicjournal.com
>>
>>65633297
tbf I don't like prog much either
>>
>>65633624
>young people rarely care about politics that don't directly affect them.
Fucking this
Fuck their free education stuff
>>
>>65633297
>>65633525
>>65633624
>>65634006
Hey guess what

Just because you disagree with a critic doesn't make them bad

Novel concept huh?
>>
>>65633272
I respect both, and always find it interesting to hear their views on an album.
>>
>>65633624
And that's why rock as a form of political rebellion was doomed to futility. It's also why Public Enemy's (another group Xgau worshiped) black militancy ultimately amounted to jack-all. In the end, most black kids didn't want to overthrow the system, they wanted to be 50 Cent riding around in a Lamborghini with strippers hanging off their arms.
>>
>>65634125
>I know what black kids want more than Christgau
>Because I'm a teenage 4chan user
Fuck off, seriously.
>>
>>65634138
>>65634116
Hi, Bob. Don't you have a Taylor Swift album to masturbate to now?
>>
>>65634138
He's right. It's how people are in general really.
>>
>>65634138
>Christgau's opinion is right absolutely
>because Christgau's opinion is absolutely right
yeah go get some jerk faggot
>>
>>65634210
I mean, shit, it was the same way with rock. Just a few years from Beggar's Banquet and Volunteers to Doobie Brothers and Kiss.
>>
>gives every TS album a B or A
>only reviews Katy Perry's debut album and gives it a C
>>
>>65633525
Yeah a lot of it was pretty fucking stupid. In the 82 P&J poll, he claims the Reagan Revolution is one reason for the disappearance of black music from the airwaves at that time even though it was really just because of the anti-disco backlash at that time.

It was almost obligatory to get some of that Village Voice leftist insanity in there if you wanted to stay on the paper's staff.
>>
>>65633563
>George Starostin

This dude's great for dadrock, but pretty terrible for everything else.
>>
>>65634440
Christgau is a contrarian idiot who contradicts himself nonstop. Read enough of his columns and reviews and you're all like Whut?

>calls himself a staunch fedora secular humanist
>says Bono's Christian message is preferable to the secular humanism in most of 80s rock
>whines about misogyny in rock
>gives a B+ to the horribly misogynistic Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors
>calls himself a committed leftist Democrat and does whine about Reagan and both Bushes extensively
>complains about leftist folkies and California hippies
>complains about prog and metal for being too technical and rock should just be short, catchy 4/4 pop
>shits on AC/DC, Def Leppard, and assorted 80s pop rock for doing just that
>>
>>65634743
I gotta say, he's one of the only people on the planet who thought DWM and In Through The Out Door were good albums.
>>
Xgau shit on most of my childhood except Eminem, he was cool with him.
>>
>>65634116
Oh Robert (^:
>>
>>65634743
For a guy who dickrode Nevermind as much as he did, he really didn't like the vast majority of grunge. Most of his reviews of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, etc are indifferent to negative.
>>
>>65633292
This
>>
>>65634959
It's 'cos they aren't punk enough, they're stadium rock with solos which he doesn't like.
>>
>>65633272
scaruffi is pretty trustable 70% of the time, he has his wonky opinion here and there (mainly on numetal and metal in general his word is kinda shaky). not saying he's good but he's better than xgau, although that's not saying much.
>>
"I will state right off the bat that I do not enjoy or care for metal, prog, classical, bluegrass, and gospel."
>>
test to see if I'm banned
>>
Some of Christgau's reviews are pretty hilarious and he does shit on a lot of the bands that deserved it like Styx and Journey.
>>
Metal is shit so Christgau is right there.
>>
At the of the day Christgau will be remembered as one of the most famous and influential music critics and Scaruffi will die with his music criticism entirely ignored outside a bhutanese carpet making message board.
>>
>>65633815
Dont post this you faggot
>>
They're both extremely opinionated and have certain tastes and predilections that guide their reviews.

Scaruffi = how weird/kooky/different/2deep4u is it?

Christgau = how punk/stripped-down/edgy/RAWK is it?

Scaruffi's musicboner is better/less-dated than Christgau's. They're both just dudes who like specific things in music, and you shouldn't treat their reviews like objective rubrics.
>>
>>65633478
the commentary to comment on
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.