[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do they matter? Looking for /mu/tants who have seen acts known
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7
File: earblugs.jpg (105 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
earblugs.jpg
105 KB, 1200x1200
Do they matter? Looking for /mu/tants who have seen acts known for being loud af (Swans, Sunn, maybe MBV back in the day, really any noise group) without them. Did you get fuq'd up or no?
>>
>>65622954
do you want ringing ears for several days? if not there is no need.
>>
>>65622954
have seen both MBV & Swans, didn't wear them. It's a really nice sensation being taken over by the sound.
>>
make sure to roll the inserted end between your thumb and forefinger so they compress, then insert. Just jamming them in there won't do much by comparison, also helps with the dynamic range.

source: MBV concert survivor
>>
I've seen sun o))) and swans front row without earplugs and I would recommend them if your hearing is important to you but if not, the ringing subsides after 24 hours or so
>>
>>65623011
When my ears get blasted everything just starts sounding really quiet and I can't hear even things like pitches or different instruments, let alone detail. I gotta wear em or I might as well go to the concert deaf.
>>
>>65622954
you don't need them for sunn
>>
>>65622954
It was literally painful to go to a Swans concert. You need plugs. You don't want to be that embarrassing guy that is covering one ear and tilting his head.
>>
>tfw seeing The Body live without earplugs

My ears were severely painful afterwards but my god it was worth it.
>>
Definitely wear them for loud bands, I've seen some of the classic "loud" bands (Sunn Swans Melvins DinoJr black dice etc) multiple times over the years without the plugs and it has a lasting impact and gets progressively more painful
>>
>>65622954
I've been to a Sunn O))) concerts and noise performances. I'd definitely wear them to anything noisy or distorted unless you want literal pain during the concert, a couple days of ringing ears and possible ear damage.

I don't think they're strictly necessary for Sunn, but you might want them anyway. Your ears will buzz for a bit (so will the rest of your body). The fact that Sunn's so low-pitched helps mitigate the retarded volume.
>>
>>65622954
MBV sounded better with them on. The music sounds less smashed by the time it reaches your ears, and the physical sensation of the volume on the rest of the body is still there. I highly recommend them.
>>
tinnitus is not fun friendo
>>
yes, always wear earplugs. i've made the mistake of losing or forgetting to bring earplugs and have had terrible ringing for a day or two depending on the artist i saw. les savy fav in a medium club surprisingly caused my left ear to ring for like 3 days.

i'm also a musician and recording/mixing engineer so my ears are precious to me, have to protect them if i want to continue working.
>>
I recommend getting some nice earplugs, rather than the shitty foam ones. The foam is very protective, but it muffles everything. I have some Alpine earplugs and they do a pretty good job without too much treble loss.
>>
File: 618GtcQiPeL._SL1500_.jpg (82 KB, 945x1500) Image search: [Google]
618GtcQiPeL._SL1500_.jpg
82 KB, 945x1500
I wear earplugs to most concerts I go to. Your ears don't feel blown out after a show and they can even improve the mixing a bit by cutting out screechiness in the higher registers.

I have a pair that's similar to pic related and I'd recommend those over the foam ones. You don't have to keep replacing them and they don't deaden the sound so much (especially on the low end). Plus I can just keep them on my keychain and never forget them.
>>
motorhead was the loudest band in the world for a long ass time and lemmys hearing was fine so i guess you got t o kind of play it by ear see if your hearings getting worse then go for it then again lemmy did a lot of things most people would find inhuman so i mean
>>
>ignores peer reviewed scientific studies
>trusts anecdotal accounts on a Kyrgyzstani paper folding forum.
>>
I have a pair of hearos, I practically leave them in constantly during music festivals and it makes a massive difference by the end of the weekend. Used them when seeing Swans back in 2013 and had no ringing in my ears at all afterward.

It's well worth investing the 20-odd bucks for a pair, they allow sound to enter the ear much more clearly than those disposable foam ones do
>>
>>65623978
A lot of musicians lose hearing though. They might not go completely deaf, but they can get fucked up. I know Keith Moon was basically deaf from being the The Who.
>>
is dino jr still really loud
might go see them in a couple months
and should i bring my own earplugs or will the venue provide them
>>
>>65624106
Gira is half-deaf too. A lot of it has to do with what the stage setups are like, being on the stage often isn't nearly as intense as it is in front of the stage with the speakers pointed at you
>>
>>65624106
>I know Keith Moon was basically deaf from being the The Who.
you've activated my autism card! i think you're thinking of pete townshend, who went half deaf in one ear after a show where keith moon made the pyrotechnics that were to be set off at the end of their set waaay stronger than they were supposed to be. just so happened it blew up right next to pete, and he got fugged
>>
>>65623978
>Following Lemmy for anything health related
>>
>>65623978
>lemmys hearing was fine
How do you know?
>>
>>65624138
fuck i forgot that they're touring. thats gonna be awesome. they'll probably be loud but i doubt ill wear earplugs
>>
>>65622954
I've Sunn O)) just yesterday with Earplugs in Montreal. Everybody around me had earplugs, and it doesn't remove the quality of their performance : Most of the sounds they produce is extremely low frequency, and earplugs really helped not getting my ears destroyed for 24 hours later. So yeah for Sunn 0)) it's pretty useful.

Ive seen also a Swans Concert with it, was kinda pratical but you will miss a couple of high frequencies made by the bells or other percussions. but still pretty useful.
>>
I didn't wear earplugs when I seen MBV, but that holocaust section was the harshest thing i've experienced.
>>
>>65625009
i probably should
last concert i went to at this place had my ears ringing whenever i laid down for the next few days, and it wasn't even a band known for being loud
>>
>>65623978
most drummers wear earplugs
>>
Only semi related but once I saw Bone Thugs and it was going well and suddenly Bizzy says something to the effect of YO TURN THAT SHIT UP.

My right ear is forever more deaf than my left now thanks to Bizzy Bone.

Point is just bring em.to every concert in case.
>>
Sunn is the only "loud" band where I'd suggest not wearing them.
Swans is undoable without them, and Death Grips and a few metal bands have been hellish without them.
>>
>>65622954
>Do they matter?
Yes. If you don't wear them your ears will most likely ring for a few hours to a few days depending on how long the show is and how loud it is.

If you wear them regularly you're far more likely to maintain your good hearing and avoid issues such as tinnitus.

So yeah they absolutely matter and anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
>>
tinnitus is horrible and will make you want to kill yourself, wear earplugs

people who don't wear earplugs usually cite really moronic reasons mostly related to inflating their own sense of machismo

but if you're that kind of idiot then I suppose go right ahead
>>
>>65625084
thats probably a good idea. but avoid the shitty cheap foam earplugs. i used to wear them frequently and id rather j mascis destroy my ears than have a bad listening experience desu
>>
>>65625751
This. I've never once heard a good argument for not wearing earplugs. In fact I feel like you always hear the same two. It's either "wearing earplugs is for pussies" or "wearing earplugs makes the music muffled and sound like shit"

The former is obviously fucking stupid and the latter CAN be true but only if you buy really shitty earplugs and/or don't wear them properly. In most cases it allows you to hear things more clearly.
>>
>>65622954
I'm going to an Earth/Boris concert in August, I absolutely will need these. I might even look into getting extra-good ones.
>>
>>65623417
exactly, fellow friendo
it's not the noise and ringing that suprises you, it's the legitimate pain and headaches from the pain that bites you in the ass. Playing bass next to the crash on the right was not fun when unprepared
>>
What's the point of going to a show if you're just going to muffle the sound by shoving shit in your ears?
>>
>>65626454
What are some good earplugs? I'm going to a swans concert next month.
>>
>>65627925
Go to your local non-chain music store and ask the clerk's opinion. Singer and drummer have plugs that come with their own case and look a little bit like
---|>|>|>
>>
>>65626489
Me too, senpai. This thread was a good reminder.
>>
>>65623978
hell be fine
>>
Last show I went to without earplugs was Melvins and my ears were ringing until 2pm the next day. In the long term it was probably not a wise idea.

I saw Swans and took the earplugs out briefly to test it out, would not recommend.
>>
>>65627877
enjoy having tinnitus for the rest of your life when you're older
>>
saw perfect pussy and that shit REKT my ears for at least a week after. decided to always wear ear protection after that. But don't use the shit they sell behind the bar. buy some good ones that you can wash and reuse
>>
>>65622954
Wear them, dipshit.
>>
>>65623978
We all know how fine Lemmy was
>>
>>65622954
Use semi-decent ear plugs that don't mess with how you hear the sound.

Someone wasn't wearing ear plugs at Sunn and threw up. Another person passed out.
>>
>>65623978
>play it by ear

good one pal
>>
saw sunn a few days ago. Plugs are def necessary especially after about 20-30min of their set. ur ears arent gonna explode or anything but itll probably give u a headache without plugs
>>
do the members of these really loud bands have really fucked up hearing?
>>
>>65629427
https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/musicians/

theres pro hearing protection
>>
>>65622954
i had to wear earplugs two times in the past for Mogwai & Franz Ferdinand.
but since I rarely go to "big" venue (so the loudness can't be really powerful), and even more rarely to noisy bands, I think I shouldn't be worried.
Also, I think French laws are more severe about concert noise limits than USA.
>>
>>65622954
wear earplugs to every show. realistically you should even wear them if you're going to a club or something.

but yes my ears would have been destroyed if i didn't wear earplugs to see merzbow. there's a bunch of other bands/artists that were super loud that i forgot to bring earplugs to and it just sucks. it hurts and i have to plug my ears and hope people don't think i'm just being an asshole
>>
>>65629524
Noise in a small space fucks you up more than a lot of noise in a big room or a field
>>
>>65629427
Michael Gira is on record as saying he can't hear shit
>>
I think what happens with a lot of people is they get turned off to earplugs because they'll try some Hearos or whatever and realize they're way too effective and you will block out too much sound at a concert. My tip for those people is to just cut off 1/3rd of the earplugs and just stick that in your ears to knock off just enough decibels to prevent hearing damage. It won't completely block out sound, it'll just bring it down to a comfortable and safe level.
>>
>>65623298
>not wanting literal pain during a concert
pleb
>>
What if all bands would just play at a level that's comfortable for non-deaf people?
>>
>>65629243
I took mine out during the DA-DUN DA-DUN part of Bring the Sun and it sounded like a jet engine taking off in front of me
>>65629345
I've got to call bullshit on that, Sunn aren't that harsh, just loud as far as low frequencies. I took mine out after a few minutes and never had any problem, and I normally advocate wearing them at anything reasonably loud. Most people were just standing in a daze when I saw them.
>>
Didn't have any for a sunn show and I didn't have any ringing the next day
>>
>>65629427
Yep, Pete Townshend is nearly deaf, the guy from AC/DC couldn't even go on tour, my dad plays in a really loud band as well and can't hear shit either, I've got a bit of damage too from being right next to crash cymbals but I wear earplugs now.
>>
Don't think about ringing 'the next day', think about ringing in your ears for the rest of your life.
Tinnitus is easy as fuck to get, and it stays with you forever.
All it takes is one concert to fuck you up forever.

If you value lying in bed with silence rather than a high-pitched screeching in your ears, buy a pair of plugs. Mine have lasted me at least three years.

They improve the sound as well.

>>65630908
Gotta play loud because of people in the room. Saw a techno artist called Fatima Yamaha who I really like, but the sound system was nowhere near powerful enough for the room and the sound got absorbed by the crowd. Could hardly hear a fucking note.
>>
>Going to swans show alone
Is this a bad idea?
>>
File: 1385150927114.gif (2 MB, 188x205) Image search: [Google]
1385150927114.gif
2 MB, 188x205
>>65627833
>tfw when you have two crashes to get the guitarist as well
>>
>>65627970
that shape is called triple flange
>>
>>65622954
I go to 2-3 shows per week and have never worn them, also >>65623239
>>
>>65632412
figure it out
>>
File: IMG_20160613_150914[1].jpg (598 KB, 2396x1712) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160613_150914[1].jpg
598 KB, 2396x1712
>>65626489
when i went to see boris three years ago they sold their own earplugs
>>
I work with a dude who has tinnitus from playing music live for 15 years. he can barely fucking hear anything, his hearing is totally shot

so when it came time to see Swans you bet I wore the ear plugs. and holy fuck it was loud without the ear plugs. fucking painful tbqhwyf

i dont care if its "lame" or w/e, its simply not worth it not to wear them for shows like that
>>
Front row at russian circles. Permanent ringing due to no ear protection. Now I wear special flat response ear plugs and honestly, much better since I can actually hear the singers singing over the fucking din.
>>
Saw MBV in 2014 and it was the loudest show ever, definitely wear them, I could feel the music physically and my ears still ached a bit after. It's not one incident that fucks up your ears but lots. That's why touring musicians, mostly from the 70's and 80's, are deaf or suffer from hearing problems because of the lack of care.

As a concert goer you have the same risk, especially with headphone music and festivals. You can test your hearing by seeing what range you hear up to on a signal generator >17KHz is good if you're in your 20's, my parents can't hear past 14KHz though so it's very important to use ear plugs. Imagine hearing music that way all the time.
>>
>>65622977
>do you want ringing ears for several days?
>several days
i think you mean permanently.
>the ringing subsides after 24 hours or so
until it becomes permanent.

most people don't realize how severe tinnitus/hyperacusis can get. i can't go to live shows anymore, with or without ear plugs. the ear pain is just too intractable. even the sound of a door slamming now causes pain that can last for weeks.

i can't mask my tinnitus with anything. it sounds like a 24/7 screeching jet engine. a couple years back i visited niagara falls and could hear my ears ringing through the sound of the falls.

you eventually get somewhat used to the ringing no matter how loud it is, but my quality of life has lowered significantly regardless. just because i've learned to live with it doesn't mean it's fun. the pain, however, severely limits what i am able to do.

wear ear plugs. don't be a retard like me.
>>
I've seen Fu Manchu without earplug. Sonometer was locked on 117dB through the whole gig (which is quite loud, for instance, PA in France are linked with sonometer to decrease volume from 103dB and stop working at 106)
I accused a trauma for the next few days, but I've passed some test brilliantly recently.
I know I've done wrong when I felt asleep on the sub of a festival PA (I was drunk).
What destroy is earplug too loud, car PA loud enough to cover the sound of the road etc... everytime you need to cover most of your environment, you need to get 20dB louder, which can raise the level quite high.
>>
>>65634299
> >17kHz is good if you're in your 20's

what if your limit is 16kHz in one ear and 18kHz in another?
>>
>>65625061
Was there too and earplugs were definitely a must.
>>
>>65624152
>Gira is half deaf

sauce?
>>
MBV, front row, no plugs

Ears rang for the next 48h, but no damage really. I often complain that things are too loud when others don't seem to mind if anything, but maybe that's just because I'm autistic.
>>
>>65622954
Saw the grippymen without earplugs, front row, definitely regretted it.
>>
>>65622954
They are not necessary. Orange Mike and Ikes are not even the best flavor.
>>
I've seen Lightning Bolt and Black Pus (basically LB but with potential to get even louder and harsher) numerous times, in the double digits at this point. I've forgotten ear plugs to exactly 3 Black Pus shows, and have had noticeable and permanent damage to my hearing after each, on top of my pre-existing tinnitus from tears of going tp shows w/o ear plugs.
>>
>>65624138
J plays three Marshall full stacks with the volume dimed. That's 24 12" speakers putting out thebabsolute highest amount of sound the amp will let them. Yes, they are fucking loud.
>>
>>65629294
Perfect Pussy went through a phase after the album where every show was literally just screaming guitar noise
>>
>>65622954
I have tinnitus and was an edgeman like some of the people itt, big regret. Just wear earplugs, but get good ones though, it'll actually make the music sound better
>>
>>65634299
have a link to such a test?
>>
File: 1464562011412.png (509 KB, 795x991) Image search: [Google]
1464562011412.png
509 KB, 795x991
>>65629294
>saw perfect pussy
>>
don't get the disposable foam ones get the good rubber ones from like a drum store or something
I used some for a harsh noise show and I felt great
Don't put a price on your health
>>
>>65632528
You sadistic bastard lol
>>65632577
thanks friendo
>>
>>65632357
I have extreme slight ringing in my left ear from listening to SOAD as an angsty teenager in middle school at full volume. Its pretty shitty as is, cant imagine having tinnitus.
>>
>>65634604
how old are you currently and what caused your tinnitus?
>>
>>65636478
There could be damage that you don't notice. It could have eaten away at the range of your hearing. I used to go to a lot of shows with no earplugs, though there was no damage, called all the people who wore earplugs pussies, all to find out that I couldn't hear any really high frequencies. I have troble hearing some of the noise in STGSTV
>>
>>65637896
I'm in my early 30s, and my tinnitus/hyperacusis was caused by going to hundreds of concerts without ever using hearing protection.
>>
>>65625161
Because there's no way to quiet performance / concert drums
>>
>>65637961
I'm relatively young and haven't been to a lot of concerts yet. I guess I'll start using my alpine buds
>>
Haven't been to too many concerts, never seen anything loud or crazy and never worn plugs, but I saw AnCo last month and Loch Raven convinced me to wear plugs. Hearing that high of a frequency at that loud of a volume for about 10 minutes was really rough, in spite of how much I was enjoying the song
>>
>>65632357
Yo Fatima Yamaha is dope
>>
>>65637741
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00y198cE-IU
>>
>>65624184
From now on when I state a nerdy fact I'm gonna preface it with "you've activated my autism card"
>>
people who wear them look like giant pussies. Id rather suffer a little ringing
>>
>>65638443
youre a faggot
>>
How the fuck do the bands deal with it.

I don't think people like Gira wear headphones
>>
Saw Lightning Bolt front row with no earplugs a few years ago. I was almost totally deaf for the rest of the night and had greatly impaired hearing for a few days afterwards, and the tinnitus was totally gone in a week and a half. This wasn't an isolated incident either, I have been seeing loud bands play for years with no ear protection and I've only ever suffered temporary bouts of tinnitus.
It might be different for you, though. Some people just have iron ears while others have sensitive ones. Nothing wrong with being in the latter group, you just have to take extra care.
>>
I was front row at Neutral Milk Hotel with no earplugs and that shit made my ears ring for like 4 days. I have pretty sensitive ears/good hearing so that's probably why.
>>
>>65623659
I have the one with EQ adjusters
>>
>>65638443
It's both amusing and sad to see blatant disregard for one's health
>>
>>65622954
haha long boy
>>
File: 25235.jpg (24 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
25235.jpg
24 KB, 600x396
They wear the hoods because they have industrial grade ear muffs on
>>
>>65638252
tfw died at 19kHz

Well, absolute pitch, goodbye I guess.
>>
>>65638252
don't use this one

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html
>>
yes they do fucking matter
are people seriously debating over this?
>>
In terms of volume, out of notably loud bands I've seen

Mogwai > MBV > Death Grips > Dino Jr

Seeing Swans next month. Mogwai are extremely underrated in terms of just straight-up not fucking around with volume. The second crescendo in Mogwai Fear Satan (the one after that really extended quiet section with the flute) was louder than MBV's Holocaust section, no lie. I felt pressure in my ears.

iirc they played Brixton or somewhere a while back and pieces of the roof started to fall down during My Father My King
>>
>>65638869
Yeah
1/2 this mongolian fishing lure website are just morons
>>
>>65632050
the guy from AC/DC that couldn't go on tour is Malcolm Young, and it was for alzheimer's. dude can barely remember his own name let alone the riff to 'Whole Lotta Rosie'
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.