[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who listen to a vast range of musical genres are people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: thiswontdo.gif (2 MB, 342x192) Image search: [Google]
thiswontdo.gif
2 MB, 342x192
People who listen to a vast range of musical genres are people with no direction, no discernment and no strong character of judgement. They lack taste.

To think everything is equally "good" means you have no strong opinion or love for a singular thing.

Music to you is candy, "tracks" jogging music. What's more, people act superior as if this makes them patrician.

It makes you worse than a normie. You're a slut, you have no on or off switch. You're muddying the waters of taste.

People who instead feel really strongly about one genre and hate passionately others, are much more interesting people with strong opinions and real love for things.

You can't prove me wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 225x225
This now a Vulfpeck thread, discuss the masterpiece that is pic related
>>
>>65611444
>444
well triple'd
>>
File: 1459044491712.png (331 KB, 886x612) Image search: [Google]
1459044491712.png
331 KB, 886x612
>>65611444
t. mouthbreathing metalhead
>>
>>65611444
This is autism of the most wretched form.
>>
File: corloene-black-fedora-hat.jpg (86 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
corloene-black-fedora-hat.jpg
86 KB, 800x800
>>65611444
You dropped this
>>
>>65611444
dubtrips don't lie

He's right
>>
>>65611671
>t.
what's this meme mean, i'm out of the loop
>>
No, it just means I know more than you about literally everything.
>>
File: 1406084298058.gif (180 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1406084298058.gif
180 KB, 404x416
tom waits will die tonight
>>
>>65611444
What a shallow opinion
>>
>>65611444
Man, what a waste of digits. People who are really into one genre and hate everything else, may seem like more interesting people in the beginning due to their strong opinions, but in reality they are more often than not basic. Okay, this guy likes Folk and nothing else and will always only do that, and has let his entire personality when it comes to music be defined by it. That to me seems like a boring person. People who are willing to explore, and by extension better themselves are much more interesting and introspective than people with such a narrow-minded point of view.

>>65611705
>dub trips
>not recognizing a full house, when he sees it
>>
File: 1429633885166.png (27 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
1429633885166.png
27 KB, 660x371
>>65611444
>ITT
>>
>>65611731
It's a shorthand for "regards" in Finnish,
>>
>>65611874
/thread
>>
>>65611988
when'd everyone learn Finnish without my knowing it
>>
File: ratfucker.jpg (50 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
ratfucker.jpg
50 KB, 500x490
>>65611444
>People who listen to a vast range of musical genres are people with no direction, no discernment and no strong character of judgement. They lack taste.
If you listen to a wide range of genres, and are able to explain in depth why these genres resonate with you in particular, then I ain't got no problem with you.

>People who instead feel really strongly about one genre and hate passionately others, are much more interesting people with strong opinions and real love for things.
likewise, if you're a total fanboy for one genre and nothing else, but can't validate your opinions with a considered argument as to why you think all other genres suck, then you're a huge faggot who stubbornly refuses to step outside of his own bubble for fear that his bubble will be popped and he'll have to drown in total aesthetic relativism (IE will end up a total fucking pussy with no conviction in their opinions). Those who refuse to listen to genres outside of their comfort zone are really just terrified of being labelled by others as tasteless or ignorant. These people lack character and self-determination, and so do you OP. I bet you have a weak-as-shit jaw.
>>
>>65612021
did you not go to meme school?
>>
how do you know you dont love something if you havent tried it?
>>
>>65611444
>People who instead feel really strongly about one genre and hate passionately others, are much more interesting people with strong opinions and real love for things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that people who are more developed and perceptive listeners devote their attention to one genre alone but yeah, most of the lads I know with whom I can actually have a worthwhile discussion about music have a strong passion for a select few styles and genres, and an "I can take it or leave it" attitude regarding most other music.

By contrast the people I know who seem more widely spread in their listening habits tend to have very limited knowledge about any of the shit they're listening to beyond the surface level and can't even really string together a handful of insightful sentences on why they like what they like. They just settle for "I dunno, it sounds good".

Good thread though.
>>
I agree.

All the special snowflakes who whore their ears out to any old thing.

I actively DON'T listen to new music. It has to win me first. I don't just let it come on in and put it's dick in my ear. I listen to the single and the b side and if I'm not grabbed, the album stays far away. I don't have time to waste on all the possible bleep bloop shit some autists all over the world keep pumping out. I listen to only the best and that's it.
>>
>>65612128
t. trash taste
>>
While this is a bait thread, I think it's a shame that people on here seem to prioritize having superficially eclectic taste rather purposefully seeking out excellence or works that suit their taste, be them deep cuts of obscure genres or unclassifiable stuff.

Most people on here who consider themselves "patrician" approach a variety to their taste as some sort of step by step process of hearing all the classics, which is just pathetic.

it's especially evident in jazz discussion on here, which is either Le Mingus Bitches Brew Sun Ra Love Supreme etc or aping on jtg's shitty taste
>>
>>65612171
Sorry mate. Any cunt can just keep sperging out and pumping out his vst folders onto albums. It's all tripe and if they can't even make a single good song (a single) and a flavour filled bside to turn the cheek, they're not good enough.

Only when the band gets trust from constant quality will I dive straight in, and even then, good people make shit stuff all the time.

t. music whore
>>
There's a point where you're right but at the same time I think most people can find something they like in most genres. If you actually like music you probably will listen to a lot of it so it's not strange that you would find a lot that you do like.

On the other hand if you religiously stick to one genre and never listen to other things it's also not good for your taste as you have no context outside of that one genre and kind of get stuck in a rut. Think about all the people who only listen to metal and shit on anything else.

>>65612087
The "it sounds good thing" too though is from people who don't really know music theory. I think I'm part surface level in a few genres but I still couldn't tell you why specifically something appeals to me as I have a very limited knowledge of music theory. Even if I had listened to everything in a particular genre I don't think I would be able to be any more specific because of this.
>>
File: 1465193213650.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1465193213650.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>To think everything is equally "good" means you have no strong opinion or love for a singular things

>People who instead feel really strongly about one genre and hate passionately others, are much more interesting people with strong opinions and real love for things

Well written bait
>>
>>65612227
>I think I'm part surface level in a few genres but I still couldn't tell you why specifically something appeals to me as I have a very limited knowledge of music theory.
music theory is not a prerequisite for talking about the quality of music. Discussions surrounding the technical finesse of a performer are useful, but they don't consider a piece in terms of 'quality', rather to what extent the piece subscribes to or distances itself from the western tradition of music. Considered this way, music becomes less like an artisan craft assessed according to its independent aesthetic value, and more like a commodity that has to meet archetypal standards for it be considered of quality.

If you can talk about textures, tonalities, progressions, cadences, etc. then great - all the more vocabulary for you to express why you think a piece is great or not. If you can't, there's nothing wrong with talking about its suggestive qualities, how it makes you feel, why that feeling raises the piece above mediocrity, etc.. plenty of music journalists know fuck all about theory, but they manage just fine talking about music from the latter perspective.
>>
>>65611444
Ahahaha you must be a really big turbopleb to think one genre can offer more than other(withouth counting rap jazz rnb rock etc which are shit of coures which are hardly even music in the first place >inb4 fedora) and youre close minded retard if you listen to only one genre and dont expand your taste
>>
Last gasp of the genre-fags.
>>
i have great taste in music
>>
>>65611444
sounds p gay
>>
>>65611444
here, have a (you)
>>
>>65611444
>>65611444
Here's an idea for you: what if people realize the genres merits and the individual appeals to each of those genres.

You listen to metal for a different reason you listen to shoegaze

Granted although I do listen to a lot of genres, I do have favorites so IDK if in the target of this guy's post
>>
literally the worst most retarded opinion i've ever seen on this site and i don't think know how much of an achievement that is
>>
>>65611444
Wait, are you telling me you actually listen to music? Wow, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. This place is filled with plobstrians
>>
>>65611874
that's literally this entire board
>>
>>65611444
Nice bait trips

The problem is not in taking interest in all forms of music, but I feel that people who say "I like all music equally" come off as insincere.
>>
bump for more memes desu
>>
>>65611787
this
>>
File: 12616a.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
12616a.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>65611444
>genre is important
>not structure or ambiance

It's like you want to be a peasant …
>>
>>65611444
>implying you can't like many genres and still dislike a couple others and lots of music in general

It's like whoever wrote this was a pleb or something
>>
>>65612207
Jtg's taste is a little on the boring side, but I find it respectable. What's your issue
>>
>>65611444
Pretty much true. I used to try to listen to everything until i realized that i didn't even like 80% of the music in my library
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.