[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i've been working on a music player and manager for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: atomica_alpha.png (95 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
atomica_alpha.png
95 KB, 552x798
So i've been working on a music player and manager for a few months now, currently in later alpha stages. The goal was to make it fast/sleek as fuck with plenty of poweruser/hotkey tricks (Like a cmus/Foobar inspired hybrid). So I got searching to be practically instant now with cached id3 tags. You can also favorite tracks or albums for easy access. Just got lyric viewing to work today too.

My question to you guys is, what features are the nicest to have in music managers and players? I want to release this in a few months or so. Also, ui improvement suggestions are welcome.
>>
does it have DJ atomika from SSX 3 in it as a siri stand in
>>
>>65603001
if you have the mp3 of it, sure.
>>
I like having lyrics windows, if that's not too hard to implement.
>>
It needs a good way to fill out file information, in many cases for multiple files at once.

I hate when shit gets out of order and I have to go in and fill out track numbers, artists, etc.
>>
File: lyrics.png (83 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
lyrics.png
83 KB, 552x798
>>65603127
Already have this. Also have the option to make it a popup (dialoguebox) instead.
Just need to hit L or go through settings menu to activate it.

>>65603261
Where do you get all your music? Mine is almost always tagged properly in the download.
You mean setting id3 tag info? Yeah maybe but that might be time consuming as fuck. Good suggestion though.
>>
The UI looks nice.

Allow users to enable option that organizes any files imported into/opened with the program into one directory in the OS's file system.
>>
>>65602955
if you want people to start using it over other music players, maybe have an option to somehow import music from other players idk
>>
>>65603333
Nice quads

Most music I download is perfectly formatted, but on the odd occasion I get a soundtrack from soulseek or something, programs like itunes will often sort them into a dozen random albums because the "artist name" field is off by a character.
>>
if user wishes, have player search entire file sysem for mp3 files and import them
>>
File: 2016-06-12 00_55_54-Atomica.png (68 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-12 00_55_54-Atomica.png
68 KB, 552x798
>>65603375
Thanks, I worked hard on the UI actually. Tweaking it is more painful than you guys think.
Can you elaborate more on your suggestion? You mean move all mp3s into one giant folder?

>>65603381
Right now it's really easy and one time. You just go to settings and set the music directory root folder and it will organize everything from there so the searches are technically done before the program is even launched from then on. I could look into finding the regkey of other musicplayers and automatically setting that as the path, which might not be hard.

>>65603451
yes this is very true, I had to use musicbee to correct a few. I'll definitely look into a id3 tag editor. thanks.
>>
>>65603601
best of luck to you code-anon
>>
>>65603601
No let's say I import Cosmogramma into the program from my downloads folder. If the option is enabled, the album folder is moved from my downloads folder to whatever directory i set (e.g. "Music"). You could even have scheduled mp3 scans to automatically import/organize newly downloaded stuff. or have the player watching for new downloads and check if the content is audio and import/organize then.

im kinda high sorry for the poorly organized thoughts
>>
File: 2016-06-12 01_10_18-Atomica.png (78 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-12 01_10_18-Atomica.png
78 KB, 552x798
>>65603507
Whatever you set the root library folder as, it will walk through every single file and directory under that looking for music. So if I understand you correctly, that would already work.

>>65603761
Wow this is a great idea, surprised I didn't think of it. So an import music/folder option basically. Thanks stoned anon.
>>
>>65603852
youre wlecome bro both of those comments you replied to are me lol
>>
Notifications of next track would be cool.
>>
make fonts smaller imo
>>
Not have fucked up tagging for classical
Scrobbling capability
looks pretty
that's it really
>>
>>65604319
I guess i'll have to download more classical music to debug with then.
Scrobbling would be easy. Will do soon.
>>
my number one requirement for any music player i use is to have an optional night mode, where all of the white switches to black. so much easier on the eyes.

i also like to see album covers but that's less important.

atomica is also kinda a lame name but thats up to you
>>
>>65602955
checked, will download when possible because dubs
>>
>>65604373
Yeah I should do a nightmode option, would be cool to see.

The biggest feature I plan to get done is an album catalog view (like musicbee), will take a while though.

Yeah I think I could do better too with the name, some said they like it though. I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>65604373
>optional night mode
This. Hate to shill out but spotify is sooo easy on the eyes, it'd be a good page to take out
>>
File: example.png (320 KB, 975x380) Image search: [Google]
example.png
320 KB, 975x380
Not sure how possible this is for you but I'd like to see a feature where the player creates a theme based on the album art, like how iTunes does for album selection.

Of course this has more to do with looks than functionality so focus on this least. I'd much prefer a quality player over a pretty one.
>>
>>65604434
hell i'd make nightmode default.
>>
>>65603761
>high
>listens to flylo
story checks out
>>
>>65604578
I actually think I might be able to duct-tape something like this up.
Won't be easy though and i'm not sure if it's worth the time.

and i agree with your last point, which is why i'm trying to make this the most functional and sleek player out there for power users. still have a ways to go.
>>
Scrobbling and some kind of visualizer
>>
>>65602955
what does it have that music bee does not?
>>
>>65603001
11/10 reference my boy
>>
File: 1461833891326s.jpg (7 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
1461833891326s.jpg
7 KB, 250x230
literally the only things that I look for in a music player

>ability to browse tons and tons of music (1TB and up) without going crazy.
>lossless
>possibility to fetch lyrics and album cover from the player itself
>accesso to musicbrainz picard to check files
>>
>>65607187
music bee is perfect 4 u then
>>
>sleek as fuck
>downloads lyrics

Ha ha.
>>
>>65602955
What makes it stand out? is it libre? floss?
>>
>>65607187

>>lossless

That has nothing to do with your music player.

>accesso to musicbrainz picard to check files
Might as well throw in an image editor, digital audio CAD capabilities and non-linear video editor.
>>
File: linkin.png (100 KB, 785x605) Image search: [Google]
linkin.png
100 KB, 785x605
>>65607850
>lossless
>That has nothing to do with your music player.
not him but yes, it does. If a player cant support flac, alac, etc then it cant play lossless.

Musicbrainz, not that i use it seems sort of standard, see pic related.
>>
>>65607977

Only a fool would use a crippled, half-assed tagger inside a music player instead of a proper music tagger like Puddletag.
>>
File: 1440555620257.jpg (7 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1440555620257.jpg
7 KB, 160x160
ASCII visualizer or it's junk.
>>
Skimmed the thread and didn't see anything about it but having a folder view is a must for me. I don't have all artists and albums tagged correctly so browsing by folder structure is the easiest way.
>>
>>65608208
>half ass tagger
what do you want that it doesnt have?

Musicbee supports more than just musicbrainz anyway, and its probs the best in built
>>
is there a website for this project OP?
>>
>>65607826
Downloads lyrics when the user requests for it. It's just a simple web scraper module, you must know nothing of programming.
It has 0 impact on memory or cpu usage. 2016 bud.

>>65608243
I should probably implement this, but jesus fuck you kiddos need to tag your tracks it doesn't even take long with the right software.

>>65609761
not yet. maybe in the coming months i'll build one.

>>65605497
I would say it's more responsive and more power-user friendly. I could navigate around much faster than I could in musicbee.
Musicbee is still GOAT though.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.