[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bands with brilliant debut albums that followed it up with abject
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
File: Oracular Spectacular.jpg (20 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Oracular Spectacular.jpg
20 KB, 316x316
Bands with brilliant debut albums that followed it up with abject shit and nothing else.
>>
>congratulations
>abject shit
This is not the "prove that you're a newfag" thread
>>
>>65601564
Congratulations was a bunch a b-side songs that could have been good for a middling band playing house shows but was definitely shit and a huge step back from their previous work.
>>
Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory

Obviously.
>>
>>65601564
Congratulations is another "oh the fame is getting me album" that's been done a thousand times over by better bands.

Nirvana's In Utero is an example of a band that branches off from their mainstream album into something more experimental yet still great to listen to.

MGMT went too far up their own asses with Congratulations and they weren't talented enough like Nirvana to pull it off.
>>
But their Self-titled is literally the only decent album that they've made.
>>
>>65601917
Done post things you don't actually believe, anon. It's not healthy and you're only hurting yourself in the end.
>>
I find new things to like about both of their newer albums with each listen. Plus Congratulations is a more cohesive listen from beginning to end than Oracular Spectacular, even though it has less banger rainbow space ship songs.
>>
Congratulations is their best album
you are a fucking pleb

their 3rd album was shit tho
>>
congratulations > oracular spectacular > self titled
>>
Stylz Unlimited > Congratulations > Oracular Spectacular

I believe this to be a true test of intelligence. If you honestly think s/t is "just random noises" then you either lack perfect pitch, lack the pattern recognition necessary to assemble the textures/melodies, or lack the attention span necessary to actively listen to an album.
>>
>>65603644
I was just listening to a remaster a guy did where he took a lot of the self titled's compression/distortion and it sounds way better.
>>
He took off*, sorry.
>>
>>65603786
Got a link to that? Sounds cool. Hope he didn't fuck with the mixing too much.
>>
>>65603644
As pretentious as this post is, I agree. Their s/t is their best album. The shift in the middle of the album caught me completely off guard, and I Love You Too Death is a contender for my favorite song.
>>
>>65603952
>I Love You Too Death
By far their best song. The subtle coalescence into harmony is great, not to mention the lyrics.
>>
>>65603821
https://kat.cr/mgmt-mgmt-brickwallhater-remaster-t11478881.html
>>
>>65604048
Sweet, thanks a bunch.
>>
each album they've made is better than the last

yes, the s/t is better than congratulations. take drugs and listen to i love you too, death with headphones and then come back to me
>>
File: torches.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
torches.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
>>
feel like this thread is just bait. OS is not a brilliant album
>>
>>65604044
>The subtle coalescence into harmony
fucking this. well put. It is probably the song that reminded me most of a psychedelic trip, with the way random thoughts can align into meaning. That and In the Flowers by Animal Collective.
>>
File: Museshowbizalbumcover.jpg (29 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
Museshowbizalbumcover.jpg
29 KB, 304x304
>>
File: ManonTheMoonTheEndofDay.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ManonTheMoonTheEndofDay.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Motm 2 had some good songs but it was all downhill after that rip
>>
>>65601774
I thought the next two albums where great after that imo but it was hit or miss after that
>>
Dexy's Midnight Runner's
>>
File: 71dkjEG4IwL._SL1200_.jpg (142 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
71dkjEG4IwL._SL1200_.jpg
142 KB, 1200x1200
>>
File: Silent-Alarm.jpg (52 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Silent-Alarm.jpg
52 KB, 1024x1024
>>
I always found /mu/'s positive opinion of mgmt very weird. they seem like the type of musicians this board would be so ready to hate
>>
>>65607212

It's because they hit their peak before Reddit was big. If Oracular Spectacular or Congratulations came out today, /mu/ would call it Reddit: The Album.
>>
It wasn't brilliant, it had only three good songs. And yeah, Congratulations was even worse with its shitty reverby production. Didn't bother with s/t.
>>
>>65606890
>>65607210
Fucking these so hard.
>>
>>
>>65607210
imo A Weekend in the City was better, but after that it descended into shit
>>
>>65608406
my nignog

>>65601520
gotta say you're right
>>
>>65604123
Supermodel was fucking sick, what are you on
>>
File: 1457784897449.jpg (59 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1457784897449.jpg
59 KB, 480x360
>>
>>65601520
>>65601653
Brian Eno, It's Working, Congratulations, and Siberian Breaks are some of their best songs though
>>
selly-ester watt field
>>
>>65609805
Bad b8 my friend
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.