[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/TT/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160605_210915.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_210915.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
back on /mu/ after a sizeable break haven't seen a turntable table board the past couple days. Post em
>>
I would post mine but nobody wants to see some cheap-ass LP60

I wanna take my TT more seriously but haven't got a fucking clue what to upgrade to, I've been eyeing up the LP120 since it's basically perfect for my budget but I don't know if there's anything else out there that's better bang for my buck

Any recs or suggestions?
>>
>>65589851
you could buy the 120 or you could buy any number of old turntables with a counterweight for about the same price range. I got my LAB 400 (^pictured) for $200
>>
>>65590165
People always mention buying used TTs here, but it doesn't seem like a very practical move. It just seems to depend too much on finding a good one on craigslist or lucking out with seeing one in a charity shop, which isn't all that helpful when people in your area don't tend to use craigslist.

If the 120 is a good choice, I might just opt for convenience and availability and grab one of them.
>>
>>65590396
Basically
>>
>>65589402
Should I get a vinyl player if I listen exclusively to metal? Is it really that different to CDs?
>>
>>65592653
If you want. The kind of music you listen to doesn't make that much difference to whether or not it's worthwhile unless you like techno, electro or other club genres, all of which have larger libraries on vinyl than on CD.

Vinyl is primarily about collection and appreciation of the physical aspect of the music unless you start getting up to serious audiophile levels. Expect to spend hundreds of dollars before any improvement in sound quality over CDs is noticeable.

If you like the idea of playing music becoming something of a ritual with picking out a record, cleaning it off and prepping it for play, having to listen to the whole thing in sequence, and having the album art on a larger and more appreciable surface, you could consider getting one. Just take some pride in it even if you decide to do it for the image; don't buy a cheap shit player, and look after your records properly.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>65590165
My 120 usb makes my pee pee hard
>>
>>65592988
So a cheap 100$ turntable won't really do much in changing the sound of an album? I don't care at all for the ritualistic aspect of record collecting. I'm just looking for a new medium to play my favorite songs through that at least changes the sound in a noticeable way. I have a pair of audiophile headphones with an amp if that makes a difference.
>>
>>65593424
Unless you spend that $100 on a used vintage player, the pursuit of which carries all the trappings described in >>65590396, it certainly won't. Almost all cheap players are painfully low quality and will sound like absolute garbage due to the cheap guts. Hooking up a quality amp and speakers/headphones to a player like that would just be polishing a turd.

The best new baseline budget player you can get is the AT-LP60, which at least won't shred your records like a Crosley or other novelty player would, and sounds fairly good for the price too. You won't get any noticeable change in quality out of it, though.

To get what it sounds like you want out of record collecting, you'll have to sink some serious money into it.
>>
>>65593602
One last question; When I say I'm looking for a difference in sound I don't explicitly mean sound quality. If it sounds noticebly "warmer" or "rawer" (even if it's pumping out lower quality sound) than on CD then I would jump allover that AT-LP60. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>65594534
That really depends more on how good your ear for it is. A lot of people say they can read more warmth in the tone of records, while others say a good setup allows you to hear each instrument in the mix more clearly.

With the amp and headphones, you've got a better chance of picking up on those. Just remember that mileage really varies with these things; some people swear blind that it's objectively true, while others say it's a placebo and a justification for continuing to indulge in an obsolete medium.

Exploring new frontiers for yourself is always worthwhile though, in my opinion. If you're up for a little experimentation and discovery, pick up an LP-60, and upgrade later if you like it. Just take care of your shit; you'll pick up a lot more surface noise through your headphones than you might through speakers (that slight static-like fuzz and the occasional pops and crackles, which are due to the stylus passing over small scratches and bits of debris/grime in the grooves). You can't eliminate this entirely; your records won't remain pristine forever, and will develop some of this regardless of how much care you take of them, but looking after them will reduce it and slow the process.

Hope this helps you come to a decision, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 744x997) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 744x997
>>65589851
This for the same price as the 120. Better tonearm, better cartridge.
>>
>>65595939
>better tonearm
How so?
>>
>>65596001
It comes with a Pro-ject 9 tonearm that goes for $400 alone. Has a better bearing design and tracks better.

Specs:

Inverted bearing design with four hardened ABEC7 spec ballraces.

9 has an aluminium armtube, 9C carbon fibre armtube and 9CC a one-piece carbon fibre armtube / headshell.

Headshell: 1/2" standard

Mounting distance: 212mm Linn mount

Cartridge weight: 6-10g (9-14g with optional weight)

Effective length: 230mm

Effective mass: 9 + 9C 11g, 9CC 8.5g
>>
>>65595939
This is a good recommendation, I upgraded from the AT120 to this, and while the AT was pretty good, the music hall sounds much better.
>>
>>65593304
Your Headshell looks like a penis
>>
>>65589402

That is one lame setup
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.