[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain why this album is so influential. I can hear that it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159 KB, 300x300
Explain why this album is so influential. I can hear that it influenced Tom Waits, no-wave and some post-punk bands but what did it do that was so groundbreaking?
>>
heheh
>>
i honestly prefer the rest of his discography. That album is really hard to get into
>>
One of the first albums to push rock forward from its pop era to become the more artsy genre it is now. One of the first attempts to blend jazz, and specifically free jazz influences into rock music. A deconstruction of the genre and recreation of it under Beefheart's own terms and unique aesthetic. It influenced punk, post punk, new wave, alternative, almost everything.
>>
the art of rehearsing to sound improvised i.e. all jazz
>>
Cause it was released in the late sixties and pushed the boundaries of what could be done with music. It embraced nonesense and just did whatever wanted. Idk about Tom Waits but I know The Pop Group drew took a lot from this album on their debut. Sonic Youth were inspired to make their by The Poo Group since they said it told them that they could whatever kind of music they wanted too, I'd imagine that same thought process went into The Pop Group's debut. I don't think a lot of people aspired for the sound Beefheart did here but just found comfort that somebody made such an uncompromising vision real
>>
>>65585479
>alternative

lol alternative rock emerged exactly in oppostion of that kind of pseudo intellectual shit
>>
>>65585629
In opposition to much later music, you can't deny the huge impact TMR had on the alternative sounds, even if not directly.

Anyways, how is it pseudo?
>>
>>65585267
It's not so much the actual style of music that is influential, not many people really copied Beefheart in style
it's the spirit of saying fuck you to what is conventional to a genre that is really what is influential
>>
>>65585698
Hit the nail right on the head
>>
>>65585267
its literally "katy teh penguin of doom" the album
>>
It came out early and was sort of wacky. *holds up spork*
>>
listen to more music
>>
>>65585267
>what did it do that was so groundbreaking?
>I can hear that it influenced Tom Waits, no-wave and some post-punk bands
Looks like you answered your own question
>>
File: Bette Davis Best.jpg (39 KB, 319x428) Image search: [Google]
Bette Davis Best.jpg
39 KB, 319x428
>>65585267
To answer your question, Captain Beefheart fucked around a lot with not recording traditionally and recorded a lot of the songs on Trout Mask Replica without using headphones and stood a good distance away from the microphone so he could create a take that wasn't synced along with the music.

Everything on the album itself was rehearsed in a house for a few months, with single band members going and grabbing groceries every week so the rest of the band could continue to rehearse the music for the album. During one session, Captain Beefheart beat his drummer with a broom and chased him around the house they were staying/rehearsing in.

Frank Zappa even admitted everything that Capt. Beef was doing was a little unorthodox for his time, but Zappa admired Beef for this.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.