[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do your friends and family think about your taste in music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 17
File: Hank Hill listens to.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Hank Hill listens to.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
What do your friends and family think about your taste in music?
>>
File: gris-gris-4ea6863136ed9.jpg (314 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
gris-gris-4ea6863136ed9.jpg
314 KB, 1000x1000
>>65565073
They love my taste
>>
File: recite-1tf95h4.png (192 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
recite-1tf95h4.png
192 KB, 600x700
>>65565073
They call me a hipster.

Ugh.
>>
Textures and dissonance is a sign of something being objectively shit to them, so they think I'm intentionally listening to bad music just to seem special.
>>
>>65565093
do you have to spam this the day i relistened to dr john's discog?
list your fave song?
>>
>>65565133
But you do that so????
>>
>>65565133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHxejdwlqk
>>
>>65565073
I think most of them are pretty indifferent if a little annoyed by my attempts to get them into the more accessible side of whatever I'm listening to @ the time. Totally worth it for the rare 'hey anon, who is this? It's pretty good!' And 'wow you have great taste, anon;))' moments though.
>>
my mom thinks its really cool that i dont listen to top 40 but if i play any of the stuff i like she hates it
so i just play radio pop around her and tell her its underground
>>
my mom calls everything i listen to weird

my dad listened to half of it when he was in college so he gets me i think
>>
i'm pretty sure half my family literally thinks i'm a satanist
>>
Mom hates it, dad respects it but thinks its annoying, and my friends would rather not listen to it, but they don't tell me that they hate it.
>>
File: 1425758986364.gif (2 MB, 400x212) Image search: [Google]
1425758986364.gif
2 MB, 400x212
>>65565073
Family doesn't care and doesn't ask.

Friends don't really ask, but they seem to like what little I've shared.
>>
>>65565288
That sounds underage as fuck
>>
I showed my parents Rammstein in 2005 and they still think they're a good representation of my taste. Rammstein is fucking boring.
>>
>>65565383
I don't dress like a goth or some shit... just wear a metal shirt once in a while. My family is just super religious.
>>
>>65565073
My ma likes the tropicalia and other latin music I listen to, as well as the 60's garage pop.
My bro and I share taste in hip hop, but he prefers overproduced garbage as a whole.

Most of my friends fall in two caragories
A. 2edge4u = into grindcore/pv/metal and/or noise expiremental shit and snub my softer taste
B. yrscaringme = into indie pop/folksy shit and get turned off by dissonant or aggressive jams
>>
>>65565073
they don't know my taste in music
they don't listen to music much at all
>>
My friends are pretty indifferent. Most of them have truly awful taste, mind. Pretty much exclusively listen to Basshunter, Deadmau5 and dreadful late 90's trance
>>
>>65565288
Omg, really anon, you must listen to some pretty crazy stuff!
mods pls
>>
Friends: Only 2 of them like it as well. They're very patrish themselves. Another friend likes some of it (he's a huuuge fan of GYBE and metal, but he also loves a ton of memerap). Most of them are absolutely fucking turboplebs who think Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters and Blink-182 are the best rock bands out there. Those friends despise my music. The Top 40 ones I don't even bother with when it comes to music.

Family: dad likes music a lot, but he has a traditionally latino taste (I'm live in central America) that I despise. Sometimes we talk about rock or jazz. He's p cool. My mom is the plebbiest person I know in every sense of the word. My bro thinks my music isn't music (which is fine, because some of it stretches the meaning to its limits).
>>
>>65565513
>I'm live in central America

lol I live***
>>
My parents mostly both like music they listened to growing up in the 70's and 80's.

My mum likes the odd good band or artist here and there, like The Jam or Peter Gabriel, but my dad likes some amount of shit. Had to spend many car journeys faced with George Michael and Barry White (nothing against him, just not my thing)

whenever they hear anything I like, it's branded as "all that rock music you like, all that Foo Fighers stuff". I don't even like Foo Fighters.
>>
>>65565073
My dad says the music I listen to makes him feel suicidal.
>>
>>65565483
Diehard warmetaller.

On topic: my brother listens to patrician electronic and dubstep stuff and hip-hop (huge Death Grips fan). Rest of my family is pleb af or doesn't care about music.
>>
My mum never really asked much about the music I listen to but I remember once she caught a glimpse of some Boards of Canada on my screen and she looked quite concerned, presumably at the weird song titles or covers
>>
>>65565590
lol that happened to me as well.

>Listening to Dopethrone
>Pleb asks why I love metallica so much
>que

I know they're similar, but I began laughing hard when she asked me.
>>
>>65565590
Forgot to write about friends.

Most of my friends like most of the same stuff as me, quite a lot of them are happy to take some recommendations, which I like.

Plus I've got a super qt gf who likes math rock, so I'm set for life :^)
>>
>>65565667
My mum didn't even know what to make of Dopethrone when she heard it. Only reaction I got was a confused/partially worried facial expression.
>>
>>65565073
Mom likes the prog rock, doesn't like the industrial rap
Dad likes basically everything I listen to and listened to some of it back in the 70s and 80s
Sister appreciates my taste but doesn't particularly like anything I play
Her husband goes out of his way to insult anything I play
Pic unrelated
>>
>>65565073
My mom thinks I listen to "headbanging shit", my one brother who only like butt rock and country thinks I listen to shitty sad music, my other brother thinks all rock music and rap is bad, my dad doesn't give a shit.
>>
File: 2YQ4i.jpg (806 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2YQ4i.jpg
806 KB, 1920x1200
>>65565073
my friends think that my taste is rather old-fashioned and full on hipster, my folks like it tho, they say my music reminds them of their youth.
>>
>>65565110
Same
>>
it's shit

one of my friends thinks he knows a lot about music while all he listens to is butt-edm and radio singles

I don't go out of my way to bash on plebs like an autist but holy fuck people who pretend to know what they're talking about rustle my jimmies something fierce
>>
Nobody really cares about my music taste and my brother only references it as ''too far gone'' because we used to like the same music until I started listening to different stuff.
>>
>>65565073
they think it's bleep bloops

tfw they're right
>>
my friends all have fantastic taste

my family would probably think i'm kinda pretentious, i just mention bands i already know they like or would have heard of
>>
Friends: those who listen to music think it's pretty good, we rec eachother shit every once in a while.
those who don't think I'm a hipster

Family: my dad likes some of the stuff I show him, got him into Mew and he really likes them, also likes prog and stuff; my mom doesn't like it, pretty much listens to top 40; my sister listens to standard white girl shit (1 direction etc.), thinks my music is weird; one of my brothers likes some of my stuff (got him into dream pop) but thinks the rest of it is weird; haven't talked about music to the rest of my brothers much
>>
>>65565611
Last time I showed my dad some music it was crust punk. Never again.
>>
My mom likes what I listen to.

My friends think that AnCo is 'literally noise'.
>>
>>65565558
Don't be an asshole you asshole
>>
>>65566436
Don't be an asshole to that asshole you asshole.
>>
"...all that weird shit you listen to."
>>
They think it's weird.
>>
I played a New Order song in with my group of friends before and they never handed me the AUX again
My mom and I like some of the same stuff
Dad and I have pretty opposite tastes but we meet with pure rock stuff
>>
>Mom
Thinks the stuff I like is neat but continues to listen to top 40

>Dad
Really likes my stuff but kinda out of touch with newer music

>Sister
Doesn't get it

>Best friend
Doesn't care enough about music
>>
>>65566262
>literally noise
Where did this even come from, how can anybody think this unless you played them the tracks that are actually noise. I've seen others say this as well.
>>
>>65565073
My mom loves all the trad music from Africa and Indonesia I listen to, so I play that around her and we're all happy
>>
>"Do you actually listen to this, anon?"
>>
Parents: think I'm some deep music hipster.
also think kraftwerk is my favorite band (to be fair, they're part of what got me into deeper music, and I also had a huge kraftwerk phase).

friends: either think i'm a hipster or an autist who doesn't listen, depending on who.

one thinks I listen exclusively to electro-pop and swans because I said I liked autobahn by Kraftwerk, also because michael gira was like an in-joke between us (we actually got our school to call his name on the announcements before).

my other friends I haven't really discussed music with, although I think they might think I listen to rap, because once I defended it and electronic music as genres when they were saying they were both literally all trash. in this same discussion someone unironically brought up the "if it isn't played with real instruments it isn't real music" arguement, and said electronic music is just pushing a button.

cousin: probably thinks I listen to mostly devo.
>>
>>65565073
i dont tell them what i listen to anymore
>>
my little sister loves single thing she listens from me, but sometimes I get angry cause I want to have my own taste

goddamit I'm a faggot
>>
>Friends
Most of my friends listen to pop punk and hot topic core so they don't think very highly of the noisier music I like. They are indifferent when I play stuff like The Smiths or New Order. Some of my friends do like similar music to me but not many.
>Parents
My parents are super out of touch with modern music. Most of where I connect with my mother is through 80's new wave and synthpop. She mostly listens to 70's soft rock. My father mostly listens to dadrock essentials so the most we connect musically is through some prog and The Doors.
>Siblings
My brother and sister listen exclusively to vidya and anime soundtracks which I cannot stand.
>>
>>65567184
Play Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic Orchestra for them and say it's from a game.
>>
>>65567029
d'aww :)
>>
File: 13645645756756.jpg (15 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
13645645756756.jpg
15 KB, 500x327
>this thread
>sharing your private music with anyone
you.. what have you all done?!
>>
>tfw no patrician friends and will probably never find any

I wish I just listened to trash like all the normies desu
>>
>>65565073
They tolerate me and I try not to be too annoying.
>>
>>65565262
Le wrong generation
>>
>>65565403
>Rammstein
>2005
>>
>>65567228
They only listen to the music of games they play. I've tried getting them into artists that sound similar to the vidya music they listen to but with no success.
>>
I showed my mother's husband AnCo and he loves them. He even bought the shirt.
>>
>Mom
Only really play accessible stuff around her like Radiohead, which she likes.
>Friends
Either A)Think I'm some wannabe hipster or something that dislikes some music purely because it's mainstream
or B)Don't really get it, but respect it.
>>
File: 1348443328063.png (2 MB, 983x1073) Image search: [Google]
1348443328063.png
2 MB, 983x1073
>>65568596
>A)Think I'm some wannabe hipster or something that dislikes some music purely because it's mainstream

God I hate this

>explain why I enjoy a particular genre or artist with some detail
>i think ur just a hipster bro
>>
>>65568683
They actually meme me about it...

"Listen to this song guys, except for you anon because it has over 100K views so you won't like it."
>>
>>65565073
>Parents
Have no fucking idea what I listen to cause they pretty much only listen to shitty 80s hair metal and don't care about what I like.
>Friends
Only really have one friend I feel comfortable sharing music with. The rest just consider me a hipster probably.
>>
i keep my tastes to myself and play it off that i like the beatles and classic rock or something xD no one knows the movies im into either i watch it all on my laptop
>>
File: clad.jpg (7 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
clad.jpg
7 KB, 231x218
>>65568752
>Not having cool friends

I don't know how you people do it. Are you still in high school? I wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with normies
>>
>>65568832
i dont hang with normies, all my friends are pretty cool about my weird taste. doesn't mean i don't also interact with normies. you can't avoid them if you want to be a functioning member of society
>>
>>65568873
I imagine you're the "cool guy" of the group? The token hipster?
>>
>>65568832
I'm the guy who posted this >>65568752

I hang out with mainly normies, but I actually am entering college after this summer so that might change since I finally won't be around the same handful of people
>>
My Dad literally hates everything I listen to. If it isn't on the radio then he doesn't care about it at all. I was listening to El-P once and he asked me why I was listening to "black music".

Mum is better, she likes some of my music, especially MPP for some reason. She grew up on all the 80s new wave so stuff like New Order are her thing.

My brother goes through really weird phases. For the past year he's been exclusively listening to pop-country shit, and before that he literally only listened to Eminem for about a year.

A few of my closest friends have very open minds about music though, so it's not too bad.
>>
File: 1465505467273.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1465505467273.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>65568928
totally
>>
>>65568935
I'll tell you what I tell everyone: start going to local shows. Make some friends. Then get a core group of said friends and get a house with them and ruin your entire life with parties
>>
>>65569083
Kind of unrelated, but what's the best way to see all upcoming shows nearby? Surely there's an app or website that everyone uses or something that I'm unaware of
>>
>>65569083
>I'll tell you what I tell everyone:

alright anon, I'm all ears!

>start going to local shows.

alright, way ahead of ya

>Make some friends.

oh

fuck

never mind...
>>
File: Engie 23.jpg (379 KB, 640x865) Image search: [Google]
Engie 23.jpg
379 KB, 640x865
>>65565073
My friends don't listen to a lot of music so they call me a snob/hispter. I play stuff like Tom Waits and Talking Heads for them and they just don't understand it and think it's "too weird."

It breaks my heart, but what can I do.
>>
>>65569083
this is basically what i did. fucked up my gpa, spent all my money on alcohol/pot/stupid shit, and had to move back in with my parents at 24. had probably the best five years of my life though
>>
i tried playing odelay by beck at my 22nd birthday. got like 4 songs in before all my friends were like "yeah fuck this" and somebody put on a fall out boy station on pandora... felt bad man
>>
I don't usually share my tastes with friends, but I guess they're okay with them

I belong to my faculty's student union, and we have our own room, where we put some music on the background from time to time. We're pretty much used to hearing anything: from Queen, the Bioshock OST, shitty latin electro (younger students' choice), eurobeat, to stoner, space rock and breakcore

Some of my friends also have bands of their own. One of them is in four at the same time, each of which plays post-black, stoner, melodic death metal and afrobeat

Sometimes I still find it hard to share some stuff with them (i.e. stuff from the Warp label, drone...) because I have the feeling that it would be too specific for them to enjoy, but I still feel comfortable with them. They always give me good recs

I haven't ever shown any of my music to my parents. I think they would kick me out from home If I were to do so. My sis seems to be a bit open (she plays at my town's orchestra), and sometimes comes to my room to ask what I'm listening to if I have my speakers on, but when I'm home I usually prefer to keep my music to myself
>>
>>65565368
This.
Forever this.
>>
>>65566436
that was me correcting my comment though.
>>
File: 1463193441372.jpg (61 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1463193441372.jpg
61 KB, 900x900
>>65566051
>that pic
>>
>>65565288
Same except I'm the only one in my family that still goes to holy mass.
>>
>>65568950
based dad knows that nigger noise will poison your developing tween brain
>>
>>65565073
I've grown to have virtually identical taste to my dad. Anything new that I show him he likes, and if I ever bring up anything older I've been listening to he almost always has stories about listening to them at the time.

My mum isn't that into music, but we did watch a Kate Bush documentary together once so I guess we have that in common. Everything else I like she thinks is shit. My sister and most of my friends are the type of people who just refer to anything that isn't top 40 as "weird," so I don't really talk to them about music.
>>
File: clear.jpg (35 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
clear.jpg
35 KB, 240x240
My old uncle has the same taste as i do,
tho it's more like i picked up his taste.

The rest of the family thinks we're weirdos for listening
to noise and weird sounds for hours.
>>
>>65569457
Most usually you'll see flyers. Check places like record stores, community centers, coffee shops. Once you meet more people, you'll get invited to house shows and warehouse shows. This is when you will meet the girl of your dreams. Then you will walk in on her in the bathroom getting her nipples sucked by the bass player that's in one of the bands.
>>
I'm going to walk into the other room and ask my friends what they think of my taste in music.

"I don't really have a problem with your taste in music, but sometimes-"
"This isn't a funny thing I can post in a 4chan thread."
"It's noise."

Other friend
"Great taste in music bordering insanity."
>>
>>65571904
wait sorry guys im not op
>>
File: watchmen 1.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watchmen 1.jpg
318 KB, 1920x1080
>>65565073
I don't have friends and my family doesn't give enough of a shit know what kind of music I like.
>>
I played Tomboy in the car and they said it was the worst thing they've ever heard
>>
>>65566992
Elaborate on the Michael Gira story. Sounds funny
>>
>>65571904
>it's noise

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>65572189
Basically, at our school they gave out these cards to kids who were being good. You'd put your name on them, put them in a box, and then the school would draw them and announce the winner. My friend and I accumulated a shitton of these (our history teacher loved to hand them out), put Michael Gira's name on them, and then turned them all in on the same day. A few days later, in first hour, they were announcing the winners, and to my surprise, they announce Michael fucking Gira's name.

When they said it, I almost fucking broke out laughing, but didn't because I didn't want to look like a sperg. Later that day, I went up to my friend, and was like "Dude, they called michael gira on the announcements!". As it turned out, he didn't hear the name being read because his Spanish class was loud.

desu it's my greatest achievement thusfar in life.
>>
File: 1447632335138.jpg (59 KB, 475x481) Image search: [Google]
1447632335138.jpg
59 KB, 475x481
My dad calls me a faggot, and to go to the gay club. Mostly dnb/idm
>>
I don't think they really care.
>>
>>65565133

You probably are.
>>
File: 419.png (149 KB, 311x227) Image search: [Google]
419.png
149 KB, 311x227
>listen to something even slightly obscure
> "quit being such a hipster man"

why do people have a problem with unpopular/obscure music? dont people hate hipsters because they listen to obscure music to feel elitist? im not listening to anything earth shattering or anything, its just a bit weird.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.