[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you really listen to any kind of avangarde/experimental genres
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 14655367181010.jpg (36 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
14655367181010.jpg
36 KB, 800x600
Can you really listen to any kind of avangarde/experimental genres like noise, post-whatever or nowave without really forcing yourself to?
I mean naturally you're most likely not going enjoy unmelodic music. I remember I used to listen to Masonna and Throbbing Gristle, but I admit that back then I forced myself to listen, since I didn't want to be normie or whatever.
Do you force yourself to listen some kinds of music? Or are you capable of genuinely enjoing weird music?
>>
>>65555310
>avangarde/experimental genres
>noise, post-whatever or nowave
>>
File: 61244.jpg (234 KB, 1035x691) Image search: [Google]
61244.jpg
234 KB, 1035x691
We are simply old noise rockers, don't bother us
>>
>>65555310
Sometimes it's just really meditative, like listening to the rain fall on a roof. Other times I just like it but don't know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQ7H7RE86A
>>
>>65555310
well tbf I find Throbbing Gristle to be quite easy to listen to and not to be ranked with the likes of harsh noise
I guess you just need to listen to more music and get out of your safe zone
>>
Drone music is not hard to listen, I would say quite pleasent in its own way
>>
>>65555310
>I'm a poser so everybody else must be one too
>>
>>65555310
depends on my mood, but I never force myself to listen to something.

Some times I'm not really feeling something arythmic or too out there and then I just listen to something else
>>
>>65555310
If this is bait the qt made me fall for it.

Gaining an appreciation for a different kind of music comes from slowly getting into it, rather than jumping right in. Like if a friend told me he wanted to get into post-punk, I'd probably direct him to Joy Division and Viet Cong as old and new examples.

I'm a pleb though
>>
>>65555501
Nothing is wrong with being conformist.
>>
Masonna transmits emotion clearly to me. I only listen to ejaculation generator usually but it's a sexually tinged chaotic tantrum that I can understand the appeal of giving into on a daily basis but don't because of laws and morality and what not.
If you don't like something it's ok not to like it. I don't think you should force yourself to listen to anything.
>>
>>65555530
Why why, Joy Division is such an overrated band, who would even listen to them if Ian Curtis was alive nowadays?
>>
>>65555310
>inb4 "it's just noize"

you have to be "in the mood" to enjoy them, but you can. It just takes some time to get used to. I used to view death metal as "just noise" but now I enjoy listening to harsh noise
>>
>>65555815
Death metal has some structure at least rhythm-wise
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 1101x1120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 1101x1120
>>65555501
um actually humans are programmed for things like melody..........so natural inclination and patterns vs static???? explain away the drones of patternless drivel, ill be over here posing as a human with ears and a brain, listening to tones discerned by previous generations over thousands of years of refinement. lol
>>
>>65555310
who that qt
>>
>>65556076
The pleasure I feel while listening to drones makes your pseudoscientific point invalid.
You're not programmed for melody, you're just used to and abused by it.
>>
>>65556146
that's how you learn to talk. melody makes speech possible, inflection, etc

also natural harmonics/ "pleasing" intervals
>>
>>65556076
static can have patterns too you fucking scoob
>>
>>65556146
Are you apt for some microtonal stuff, artsy ass?
>>
>>65556076
>actually humans are programmed for things like melody
I fucking hate when people say shit like this. It triggers my autism so hard. How fucking hard is it to believe that one might seek more adventurous sounds then just "muh catchy melody" or fucking hooks or breakdowns or bass drops or what the fuck ever
>>
>>65556964
try dubstep, zero melody just great for your autism
>>
>>65555310
No one "forces" themselves to listen to any music. Why would anyone do this, to fit in or to reserve a spot on a bandwagon?

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>65556987
dubstep has melody you cunt
>>
>>65556178
I don't like microtonal, but I can see why someone listens to it, unlike you tryhard idiots.

>>65556157
It doesn't mean we can only like "melodic" things. I guess that following your train of thoughts every person who claims to like the sound of rain or the sea is a pretentious fag.
>>
>>65557054
>>65556178

Here's the thing about microtonality and such, and why it sounds "bad" to you and most other westerners.

You weren't raised with it.

That's it. That's the whole deal. Indians use a 22-note chromatic scale. Turks use as tiny as a 9th of a stem. But they have been raised around this music their whole life - it is as ingrained in their culture as the pentatonic and heptatonic scales are in the west.
>>
>>65557127
Yet there's not much about microtonatities in indian mainstream music you can hear in Bollywood movies.
>>
>>65557154
Because Britain completely fucked up Indian culture and they basically sucks the west's dick now. Their pop music is generally no different from western pop, but there still is a huge culture of tradition Indian classical and folk music.

In Bollywood, though, the love duet between the female lead and the male lead often draws very heavily on Indian classical. Of the 4 Bollywood movies I have watched this month, three had microtonal elements in some of the music. Indian classical music generally uses microtonal ornamentation - the actual melody lines are fairly close to western just intonation in terms of pitches. Those appogiaturas and mordents and whatever are much more complex than typical western ornamentation.
>>
Maybe you just don't like them and that's it.
If you feel you're forcing yourself towards something, don't do it.
>>
I don't think you can underestimate peoples' capacity to enjoy art outside of the normie spectrum. The fact that this stuff is created to begin with lends to that.
>>
>>65557154
>>65557215
That unique style of Indian microtonal singing is still very popular in Indian popular music.
>>
File: person.png (47 KB, 709x380) Image search: [Google]
person.png
47 KB, 709x380
>>65555310
I'm in love with the person in this picture.
>>
File: 1465562.jpg (37 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1465562.jpg
37 KB, 800x600
>>65559123
There's really not much of her out there.
>>
>>65555310
Yeah, it's called liking sounds

Fuck off
>>
>>65559308
probably due to being painfully average
>>
>>65559308
moar
>>
I didn't like it when I first heard it, but as I got into music with a combination of accessible and avant garde elements the weirder shit became normalized. I just gained a better understanding of the genre and now I make noise (and music) myself.
>>
>>65555771
It's something someone who doesn't listen to that kind of music to enjoy. You don't need to like post-punk to enjoy Disorder, Shadowplay, or Interzone. It's a good starting point.
>>
>>65555961
Death metal is all is stricly and coventionally structured, you don't get anon's point
>>
>>65557127
can you give me some good examples for the indian scale music?
>>
>>65560730
I also make noise sometime, like ocasionally I might fart or slap a mosquito on my leg
>>
>>65560950
lol
>>
>>65555310
cute
>>
>Can you really listen

Very few people can. Most people just say they do to appear edgy.
>>
There actually a good lecture by Genesis, he/she definetely has an extraordinary view on sounds and the essence of music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgIPmSUhew
>>
>>65555771
lol if ian curtis was alive nowadays, the music would be very different
>>
>>65555310
To an extent, such music necessitates a specific mood, but I'd never say I'm forcing myself to partake in it, especially with such releases that sit among my favorites.

Also, does anyone know who that picture is of?
>>
>>65555310
who is that sermon deacon
>>
>>65559308
Where did you get this picture from?
>>
>>65562665
from russian 2channel
>>
>>65562665
found unty's girlfriend

should we contact authorities?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.