[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I worked at guitar center pro-audio department AMA about the business
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1048x1048.png (140 KB, 1048x1048) Image search: [Google]
1048x1048.png
140 KB, 1048x1048
I worked at guitar center
pro-audio department

AMA about the business
>>
what's the baseline knowledge usually required for you to hire a guitar luthier/repairman
>>
>>65527199
why is everyone at guitar center so bitter
>>
>>65527199
>
if I'm really dumb and don't have an education is this the job for me oh wait i just got hired
>>
Have you ever witnessed someone get a good deal and did you try to stop it?
>>
On a scale from 1-10, how many months until you guys go out of business?
>>
Aren't you guys going to be out of business in, like, two years?
>>
>>65527289
because they didn't make it

a job at guitar center is the last branch of the music industry tree that you grab before hitting the bottom aka killing yourself
>>
>>65527254
Thats the only position that requires actual knowledge about anything in the field. You need a certification from a place thats accredited or something. I dont know; wasnt my department, but everyone there at the place i was at had one from the same place. Its very common i heard that the places that teach that kinda thing require contracts that after the schooling is done, you cant work anywhere withing x miles of the place.. The radius around some of these places could include big cities or over state boarders, so check ahead of time if its viable for a school to be good for where you want to work. Knowing how to do all that stuff without some kinda cert wont get you hired.
>>
>>65527199
Why do you guys only sell shit-tier MIDI interfaces?
>>
>>65527349
that was always my first assumption but i wasnt sure if i was just being a dick

>confirmed for last branch of musical aspirations
>>
the last time i went to guitar center, there were about 15 employees there but only one of them knew how to string a guitar

never again
>>
>>65527199
Why won't you let me jam on the instruments you fucking fag.
>>
>>65527468
I "jammed" on a piano they had set up in the middle of the store a few years ago

And by "jammed" I mean sucked ass but nobody stopped me
>>
>>65527289
because the focus is on high pressured sales. Everyone treats each other, even their own friends, as competition. NOT to get more money, but just to keep their job. The minimal quota they have to reach weekly/monthly is an impossible amount, and everyone is at risk of losing their job.

>>65527297
lotta people who work there dont expect to stay more than 6 months cuz of how shit the job is and quick they are to get rid of everyone based on impossible sales expectations. Its the fall-back for when people move to a new area and are still looking for a better job, are in college, or between hard-to-find jobs, like high school teachers or audio engineers, as i am both and its a rare job to land.

>>65527311
used to fuck my bosses sales up at the end cuz i knew i was leaving; he used go on the computer to remove my sales number and put other employee's numbers so they'd get the credit. No one made commission cuz you gotta break a certain threshold, but it put me on the chopping block and saved his friends from losing their jobs probably. Douche move, but everyone was an asshole there. Didnt affect me cuz they knew when i was leaving, but lots have lost their jobs to this
>>
>>65527553
>install keylogger
>wait for shit boss to type in creds
>logs out
>log in as him
>set all sales to yourself
it's not that hard
>>
>>65527553
I was considering getting a job there because I thought I might enjoy it at least a little but fuck this.
>>
>>65527337
Considering B&H's scandal now, iunno. Its still the go-to place everywhere for things you gotta pick up today or test out before you buy, and the markup is insane on shit like cables.. seriously a 60$ cable is bought for $1.20 and what people dont realize is that local musicians make up only 5% of the profit. Its all about the pro-audio big church deals setting them up with all their sound shit, or some restaurant needing a bunch of shit by the weekend, or wedding djs just being ballers. The markup on guitars is little; they buy a guitar for 450 and sell it for 500.. so its mostly peripherals, and mostly establishments that they make profit from.

>>65527407
the website probably has more. My location had justabout everything but it was a flagship location. Others are smaller i hear. Theres always amazon, but its nice to be able to bring something back if its the same price and expensive

>>65527466
>THE ONLY THING THEY CARE ABOUT IS THAT YOU CAN SELL
everyone at the interview sayin "Music is my soul, man. Its my life" doesnt get the job. They want people that can sell. I was more up on guitars than anyone in the guitar dept, but i worked pro-audio cuz i also like that more and thats where more sales + job security was.
>>
>>65527687
you wont. Its miserable and has nothing to do with music

on the plus side, you get really familiar with every product out there and some tips about the cost/markup of things.

>>65527468
feel free. regulars come in and just play weekly that never buy shit. You got asshole employees by you.
Yes, we do make fun of you for doing it cuz youre only coming to the shop to show off to all the high school kids doing the same thing. Play at home, deadbeat

>>65527618
they use some ancient looking "greenscreen" thing.. like an old dos. took my whole time there to really be familiar with it. Also, half the stuff gets sent to the online version where we get reports of sales from a previous month or something. From my employee login, i saw only end result numbers, but its impossible to say it didnt add up cuz a sale would come off if someone returned the merch, or if it really did belong to another sales guy who did all the talking-up on a different day.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.