[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can people take music critics seriously when they like all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_3442grad.jpg (11 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3442grad.jpg
11 KB, 460x288
How can people take music critics seriously when they like all humans have biases towards certain music that they like and don't like? You can't expect that they literally treat all music fairly. They're not robots. Their life experiences and preferences all sway what they'll find enjoyable and what they don't.
>>
>>65522156
yeah but have you seen his meme reviews? :^)
>>
>>65522156
Because a lot of people want their taste dictated to them by someone they want to be like.
>>
>>65522156
Of course they have bias, but your average music critic still puts more thought into their evaluation of an album than normal people do. You don't have to worship the ground they walk on, but if your taste lines up I don't see the big deal with listening to shit they suggest. A better question would be why are people so fucking triggered by critics like Fantano and Scaruffi.
>>
Him being biased isn't even the worst thing about his reviews. The worst thing about his reviews is the fact that he reviews electronic music when he clearly knows nothing about it. This is the dude who compared Syro to SAW and called it (syro) ambient.
>>
Music critics shouldn't make sense any more, since you no longer have to rely on them when deciding to spend money or not on an album. since you can stream it and decide for yourself.

Critics nowadays are just a symptom of a culturally vacant population who need to be told what to like.
>>
>>65522156
Some people enjoy others' perspectives and can appreciate them without internalizing it and letting it influence their own opinions
>>
>>65522156
He is a good communicator and often provides interesting insight to music but there was like definite point after watching a bunch of vids that I realized his criticism is extremely basic and unsophisticated. That's fine for YouTube but I get the impression that many of his viewers and Anthony himself, view it as being a serious deal.
>>
>>65522473

That's an interesting take and I'd say I agree with that. I guess this is because free thought isn't encouraged in our society and people generally like to fit in with a crowd and feel like they belong to something.
>>
>Their life experiences and preferences all sway what they'll find enjoyable and what they don't

I hope you realize that this is true for everyone who takes a stab at judging media in any way.
Reviews are still a thing for two reasons:

1. People like hearing other peoples views on media, even if they're negative
2. People love hearing people of a higher "cultural standing" praise something they already like

Basically, people watch reviews for the possibility of new and interesting insight into their favorite media, or to reaffirm their fondness for said media. Neither of these are bad things, really. Taste is always subjective anyway.
>>
>>65522742
*tips fedora*
>>
What's wrong with having a different take on something familiar or having your own beliefs challenged?

I wouldn't say they are "necessary" per say, but I don't completely denounce them.
>>
>>65522156
A good critic is aware of their own bias.
>>
>>65522742

>I guess this is because free thought isn't encouraged in our society and people generally like to fit in with a crowd and feel like they belong to something

I despise this fedora-tier meme-rationalist bullshit.
Entry-level social psychology will tell you that everyone (I'd underline that if I could) tries to "fit in with a crowd". You're doing it right now by adopting the behaviorisms and internal cultural cues of this website (and any other website you frequent to talk shit about whatever insignificant crap you hate). Even the most individualistic, "free-thinking" person in the world will still behave, express themselves and dress like their cultural peers to some degree. It's an anthropological and psychological fact.

I hate it when fedora-tippers try to throw "conformity" out there to separate themselves from the dullards when they're literally doing the same thing. They're just so arrogant that they've never "zoomed out" for long enough to see their place in society with their own eyes.
>>
>>65522156
people like to hear other peoples opinions more at 11
>>
>>
>>65522295
fuck
>>
>>65522156

Anthony looks really nice in this picture. How old is this?
>>
>>65523880
>Anthony looks really nice
'no'
(sorry Anthony your reviews aren't too bad I just dont think you're attractive)
>>
>>65522938

I'd say that not everyone does try to fit into a crowd, but the majority do which I did point out. As far as dressing, most people don't have the resources to mach their own clothes and places that do sell them generally all sell a similar thing, which is another symptom of free though not being encouraged. You can still be a free thinker and have your thoughts line up with other peoples. It's a fact though that society requires people to conform to it. Otherwise your ostracized and shamed into conforming. Just look at how the media is creating a narrative around the election and forcing everyone to take sides. Also, freethinkers aren't necessarily atheists or without belief in a higher power.
>>
>>65522156
Because music reviews aren't supposed to be repositories of objective fact
>>65522473
Sort of agree; the main function of music criticism these days is entertainment and finding new music
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.