[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Homer Flynn the most underrated vocalist and lyricist of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
Is Homer Flynn the most underrated vocalist and lyricist of all time?
>>
When the residents are really trying to be emotional and literate and not just wacky I can tell Homer is an incredibly talented writer. His prose reminds me of Pynchon, or maybe Burroughs.

I think he's just as good as Mike Patton in the vocal department
>>
>>65513507
man I'm glad someone else thinks so. I totally dig the Pynchon comparison. The OP pic I posted really had an effect on me in a way that an album hadn't before (in that it made me feel ill). It's one of my favorite Resident's albums and I think it's a shame that their best stuff is ignored in favor of the easy to meme stuff like Constantinople (still a good song though)
Flynn's performances are incredible, for the most part. Especially on stuff like The Big Bubble
even Scaruffi said it was an important post-modern exploration of voice, and I completely agree.
>>
>>65513598
Well, the residents lyrics and music are both very, very postmodern. I'd argue they do it even better than beefheart did in terms of deconstruction.
>>
>>65513507
op's album in particular reminds me of the disgusting parts of gravity's rainbow and v.

Leaves you with a very disoriented feeling
>>
>>65513654
the early albums, absolutely. too bad the music got kindof lazy into the 2000's. I mean Tweedles isn't awful but the last really good album was probably Wormwood.
The story and character-based albums are terribly underrated. Especially Freak Show and Gingerbread Man.
God In Three Persons really stuck with me and I only listen to it occasionally because of how unpleasant it is, but I really do love the album.
>>65513680
for sure. there aren't many well-known artists who are willing to explore the deviant side of human nature, understandably so.
I'm in the middle of V and Esther's Nose Job made me feel ill in the same way GITP did.
>>
File: download (7).png (423 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
download (7).png
423 KB, 500x500
I think his vocals are best shown on Demons Dance Alone. Second place being Title In Limbo.
>>
File: Not_Available.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Not_Available.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>65513772
Life Would be Wonderful is pretty great, but I think all the later work (especially in terms of lyrics) pales in comparison to something like Not Available (which is their magnum opus IMO)
The lyrics and performance in the mole trilogy (and Big Bubble) are fantastic as well.
>>
Does anyone else think the Residents are capable of making beautiful and emotional music? At my Window and Edweena both made me very sad.
>>
>>65513977
Yeah. Edweena especially. I remember reading something along the lines that the band almost didn't release not available because of how personal it is (although this is the residents so id take that with a grain of salt)
If you want a more emotional residents listen to the OP album. Really fantastic exploration of pain and pleasure in relationships.
>>
File: 1462427276992.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1462427276992.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>65513819
I'm gonna have to disagree with you a little bit. I consider Smell My Picture better than both Meet The Residents and Third Reich and Roll. Though, I can easily see why anyone would think Not Available is the best, because I could remember every single part of it after just my second listen (In my opinion Eskimo is their greatest work and my favorite album of all time).
>>
yeah
>>
I think there's a different Flynn worthy of that title...
>>
>>65516552
>liking Robb nu-male Flynn
>>
>>65513440
No, Robb Flynn is
>>
>>65514358
I haven't heard that album so I'll have to give it a listen. Eskimo is great but I think the concept takes away from the mystery. Not Available is almost nonsensical in it's lyrics and allows for interpretation, which I really dig.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.