[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Faust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: faust.jpg (30 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
30 KB, 319x319
thoughts? Favorite album by them? I've been trying to get into picrel lately, and i'm starting to appreciate it more and more. I also like IV, especially the drone opener.
>>
circus
>>
>>65507376
Meadow Meal best song
>>
File: image.jpg (688 KB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
688 KB, 2576x1932
>>65507376
Faust is cool
>>
>>65507399
i prefer the opener
>>
>>65507376
pretty good, not cringe at al
l
(just started listening to them like a couple of months ago, not really explored their entire discog, but so far their debut is my favourite)
>>
>>65507399
seconded
>>
can anyone tell me what the fuck this album is?
Like is it all made up of samples or are some parts played.
>>
>>65507376
my favorite album of all time

I may prefer Future Days' sunny carelessness or Deceit's focused paranoia or R+7's psychedelic ventures or Black Saint's grandiose complexity, but Faust feels much more subtle and complete. You can feel that they weren't really trying to make an album even, it just sort of happened.
>>
Faust is one of my favorite Krautrock bands, and although their debut album is amazing, I still prefer Faust so Far and Faust IV
>>
>>65507477
r u retarted
>>
>>65507511
That's interesting. Like I said, Faust is probably my all-time favorite album but I seriously don't care for Faust IV or Faust So Far. Maybe I'd be fine with them, but with a debut like that - the rest of their works feel really mediocre.

I do kind of dig The Faust Tapes. Not the kind of album I'd listen to very often, but it's an interesting experience.
>>
Did they use sampling on s/t? i remember reading about them sampling The Beatles, not sure tho
>>
>>65507601
there's a few seconds of the beatles and (i think) the rolling stones at the start of their debut, that's it as far as i know
>>
>>65507601
beatles and rolling stones yeah
>>
>>65507615
>>65507617
that's what i thought, thanks
>>
>>65507486
There's a sense of beauty being born out of chaos in this album. The dissonant, noisy parts are refined into beautiful, harmonious passages. Atleast that's what i'm hearing, i guess this album isn't one that has a clear formula that it follows, but i sense a throughline of beauty born out of chaos, especially in how the pieces progress from the menacing and nightmarish opener to the surprisingly pleasant closer. The lyrical meaning or intention of the album remains a mystery to me tho
>>
>>65508162
>The lyrical meaning or intention of the album remains a mystery to me tho
The creation of this album is actually really well documented. It's an incredibly entertaining story so I really recommend you seek it out.
>>
>>65508254
I've only read the wiki page
are there docs or articles or something you could refer me to
>>
>>65508276
I'll have a look for where I originally read about it, but it's a link that's evaded me for a couple of years, so I'm likely to come up short.
>>
>>65508333
well thanks for trying at least
>>
>>65508276
Maybe this will help:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Yz4oH8MtNFbGNKV1BWRXBnMVE&usp=sharing
>>
File: giphy (1)2.gif (547 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1)2.gif
547 KB, 250x250
>>65508361
neat
>>
Apparently what I originally read was from https://books.google.com.au/books?id=lohHVBYiML4C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

It appears the making of is detailed within the first 40 pages, so get ready to behold the tale of Faust recording an album in one night, whilst tripping on LSD.
>>
>>65508405
thanks man love finding things like this
>>
File: 32.png (147 KB, 355x506) Image search: [Google]
32.png
147 KB, 355x506
This is the exact excerpt I remember reading
>>
File: 33.png (10 KB, 333x51) Image search: [Google]
33.png
10 KB, 333x51
>>65508455
Here's the short part two, the eloquent cherry on top.
>>
>>65508455
>>65508471
jesus fuck what a story
>>
>>65508524
Yeah, it truly is.

It also makes Faust more endearing to think of them this way, rather than as the intellectual avant-gardists that they're often incorrectly painted as.
>>
>>65508555
but were any of them schooled or skilled musicians at all or were they just madmen at the hands of a record contract?
>>
>>65508575
There really isn't much that I've read on that, just vague descriptions of them being in bands prior to being recruited by Nettlebeck.
>>
>>65508630
It's strange to me because the album doesn't sound completely born out of a hallucinatory drug frenzy. I'm hesitant to believe that there wasn't some thought put into the concept and themes of the album, But these records of what happened would have it that the album is a result of pure improvisation and LSD delirium
>>
>>65508709
I'm sure that the story is slightly embellished, after a year of studio time, it's quite possibly all they had to do was record their hard work and best ideas.

It's likely that the sound rests somewhere between carefully meticulous and completely improvised.
>>
>>65508759
the pieces seem heavily arranged in post-production, like you say some of them are chaotic and others feel carefully written and performed, like the extensive motorik-noise improvs of Miss Fortune ended by that medieval poetry reading.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.