[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with this album? Since they didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: SmileySmileCover.jpg (171 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
SmileySmileCover.jpg
171 KB, 300x300
What's the deal with this album? Since they didn't release Smile I figured SS was supposed to be more conventional and all but it is even weirder. Why didn't they just release their best stuff from Smile?
>>
>>65484829
It doesn't make any sense to me either. I get that Smile was proving really difficult to string together but the fact was that they had at least an album's worth of good material already recorded and a significant number of tracks (including H&V, the most notoriously difficult to assemble) were in a releasable form by SS's release. I don't see any reason why they recorded half an hour of new (almost entirely bad) material when they had stuff like Cabin Essence and Surf's Up pretty much ready for release. What's even stranger is that the albums which went on to feature other parts of Smile (20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up) were all much better than SS.
>>
Probably something to do with Brian believing that most of their material for Smile wasn't ready yet, so they made new material they could release.
>>
>>65485210
But releasing some Smile material with it would make it impossible to release Smile as an album. Surely SS is the mark of Brian completely abandoning Smile? Like, The Who couldn't have released Who's Next and then released Lifehouse a few years later.
>>
>>65484829
>>65485017
>>65485210
>>65485326
Silly anons, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs ;-)
>>
>>65485017
>implying smiley smile isn't their best album not named pet sounds
>>
>>65486238
>implying it is
>>
>>65485210
>Brian believing Smile material wasn't ready yet
>implying it wasnt Mike who refused to go on with it
>>
I think this song is a great representation of Smiley Smile at both its best and its worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUsXUinQf1o
>>
>>65486939
That song is fuckin amazingly weird. Also "little pad" is the most comfy song ever created
>>
>>65487012
Diamond Head, from Friends
>>
>>65487012
>>65487271
Don't Worry Baby, from Shut Down Volume 2
>>
>>65487012
>>65487271
>>65487302
California Saga, from Holland
>>
>>65487271
>>65487367
Ive heard all these, but "little pad" helped me through a very mentally strenuous mushroom trip so ill always associate those chords with absolute comfort.!
>>
>>65487469
I love the whole album anyway, fuck I love the beach boys, I really want to do mushrooms or lsd and just listen to their audible gold
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.