[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get involved in my local scene. I want to produce avant-garde
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: anthony mcgill.jpg (2 MB, 1500x2258) Image search: [Google]
anthony mcgill.jpg
2 MB, 1500x2258
I want to get involved in my local scene. I want to produce avant-garde music, be friends and form bonds with other local avant-garde musicians, and be cognizant of nearby events and trends, no matter how obscure. I want this for the present and the future.

However, the only instrument that I'm at present adept with is the clarinet. Though in that regard my talent is quite formidable, I'm not entirely convinced of the instrument's weight in the experimental scene, at least its weight at present.

What are some experimental applications of the common clarinet? Please, help me. If you'd rather dare alone the periphery than cling to practicality, then I want you in this thread, and I hope I've inspired whatever dormant cognitive faculties you people may possess.
>>
Its a wind instrument so just look to all the avant greats like Zorn and Evan Parker and apply the dynamics they use to the clarinet. Braxton plays it occasionally as well and pushes it functions. Parker's electroacoustic ensemble uses them in interesting ways too. Git gud and people will want to play with you
>>
Buy an ewi or join a free-jazz band
>>
>>65483921
are you aware of any experimental/free recordings featuring the ewi?
>>
>>65483906
For Zorn, so far I have Naked City, and Spillane. Do you have any pertinent recommendations besides those two?

His discography is quite dense.
>>
>>65483872
unty you have good taste in clarinet players. Have you heard his Mozart Quintet?
>>
>>65484056
I haven't, actually. I'd appreciate a link, though.
>>
>>65484094
probably my favorite recording of the Mozart/Brahms: http://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/mozart-brahms-clarinet-quintets

I saw him live like 2 years ago too and that was incredible, he played the Copland
>>
>>65483872
>I want to produce avant-garde music

not gonna make it

no good avant-garde musician says stupid shit like this
>>
>>65483999
Checked and ya if you want some more stripped down, extended sax techniques, check out School and Classic Guide to Strategy (which is my fave and linked). Locus Solus, Cobra, The Big Gundown, Spy vs Spy, and Mysterium are all must haves imo and span many genres

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yp1Qq0LXCE
>>
>>65484111
well he didn't say he wanted to be a GOOD avant-garde musician
>>
>>65484107
>>65484126
Thank you. I'd contribute more but I'm very tired and am going to bed.

>>65484111
I anticipate there existed several things that hadn't been achieved before I was born, and several things more yet to be achieved that I'll see to before my death.
>>
>>65484175
Don't worry unty I see a lot of me in you.

You'll do great things. It might not be avantgarde music, it might yet be avant-garde music, but you'll get there. You have the drive.

Also check out Evan Zipyorn or whoever the fuck.
>>
The only band I could recommend is Jethro Tull. They're not avant-garde though... Or very experimental
>>
>>65484111
why haven't all scene kids been killed yet
>>
>wanting to kill purity

shame on you
>>
>>65485815
he's ugly
>>
>>65485833
>he
>>
>>65485874
>not knowing that's a tranny
>>
>>65487463
you got meme'd
>>
yeah, I was more like lets get really drunk and pray it really works this time please
>>
good luck
>>
I thought this thread was dead.

>>65484193
Thank you, for the recommendation and the encouragement.

>>65485815
>>65485874
>>65487813
Scene kiddos deserve death.
>>
>>65483872
>r dormant cognitive faculties you people may p
yeah

hi
>>
>>65488547
scene is dead
>>
Check out Jeremiah Cymerman
and Brötzmann's Clarinet Project record
>>
>>65488898
thanks
>>
>>65483872
It doesn't matter what you do.Since you're black you will get affirmative action™ and can attend and do whatever you want in the "avant-garde" music scene.
>>
>>65489662
>action™ and ca
yeah I know, eventually it's all the same person trying
>>
>>65489712
what?
>>
>>65489736
>ce you're black you will get affirmative action™ and

I assumed 662 were being sarcastic

I'm white, I don't know a great deal about the black lives of clarinet playing snooker players

they are probably just as rubbish as ours,
>>
>>65489948
I was completely serious no idea what are you even talking about...
>>
>>65483872
Check out Jimmy Giuffre

but please if you're going to play "avant-garde music" don't just aimlessly wank and copy what other musicians have been doing. The noise scene was absolutely destroyed by tumblrite bandcamp "musicians" that just shit out anything and call themselves artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKzdeDrn8Qs
>>
>>65483872
Just play any other instruments using the same intuition that you use for the clarinet and go with whatever that brings
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.