[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone love to shit on hip-hop and metal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
You read anything that isn't a dedicated hip-hop review site/publication and they crap on the best of the best albums while circlejerking over some shitty acoustic hipster band or EDM. And usually, I see assholes who give Illmatic & 36 Chambers 1 & 0.5 ratings just because it's hip-hop. I wouldn't do the same to Radiohead.
>>
>>65482341
easy to piss you faggots off. thats why
you have such an insecure personality that just by saying I dislike hip hop you start accusing said person of being racist
even though he/she would prefer jazz
>>
Hip hop is a horribly shallow and trend hopping genre that is even less worthy of respect than rock
>>
Because people love to hate the outsider.
>>
hip hop is hilariously shite
>>
>>65482341
take vocals out of any 50 cent EP and you see they´re not really that much talented as actual musicians
>>
hip hop is a cultural thing, I think. Not racism so much as the fact that a lot of people - older white people primarily - can't identify with it.

As for metal... A lot of people are just stuck-up pricks who can't admit when a style of music is simply too much for them. Too 'heavy', too loud or too bombastic. So they invent some bullshit reason like it's 'immature' or otherwise intellectually beneath them.
>>
>>65482341
Metal is a bit too loud for some people.
>>
>>65482576
I listen to all kinds of loud and heavy bands that aren't Metal. The reason I don't like Metal (in general, there are exceptions) is because of how cheesy it is. The lyrics, the melodies, the image. It's all so fucking gay.
>>
File: Manowar.jpg (150 KB, 809x554) Image search: [Google]
Manowar.jpg
150 KB, 809x554
>>65482652
>It's all so fucking gay.
U WOT REEREEREEE
>>
>>65482652
Not to mention the target audience for 99% of the genre are edgy teenagers.
>>
>>65482341
don't forget country

>>65482652
this is true of power metal and a lot of trad metal but not of extreme metal ftmp. also kys you image-obsessed pos, who cares if something's "cheesy," if it's good it's good
>>
>>65482795
>extreme metal ftmp
extreme metal might be the cheesiest type of metal. i mean, it's literally called "extreme metal" how can it not be for faggots?
>>
Many people were never raised with hip-hop and it doesn't click with them. There are very few people open-minded enough to accept anything that goes against their preconceived notion of how the world operates or accept any POV other than their own.

Many people don't like metal because it's too low brow, corny, and cannot be taken seriously, etc. Also indie fans have an aversion to all things metal because it doesn't fit their sensibilities of what constitutes legitimate art. People who only listen to classic rock are oftentimes extremely close-minded and most people are arrogant (I think it's an intellectual challenge for most people to combat that--pretty much instinctual).

Now what about the rest? Jazz music is just some guys playing shit on a saxophone, who cares, right? Ditto with classical except it's brass and strings. It's just not offensive, polarizing, whatever you want to call it to warrant much reaction other than disinterest. Other genres, well, sometimes you'll get some goofball downrating drone albums or some shit, but most people don't even know they exist so it's all good there. That's about all there is to it it.
>>
>>65482748
>metal
>target audience
what are you even saying
>>
Well, I think a lot of older people can't really enjoy either of the two. Also, many people perceive the two genres based more on their stereotypes than the actual music itself. You also have to admit that there's many forms and artists of the genres that likely wouldn't appeal to outsiders that well. I much prefer hip-hop to metal actually, even though I'm primarily into alternative rock. All music is an acquired taste, anyway.

I think this happens with all genres in some way or another. For instance, I do not think all disco is bad and there is some talent (Chic being a good example). That's universally panned by many rockists.
>>
>>65482851
i hope this is bait fucktard
slit your throat
>>
>>65482883
the majority of people who primarily listen to metal are teenagers, and thus they are the target audience.
>>
>>65482897
this isn't true at all lol
in europe metal is more popular among the middle-aged esp. trad/prog/power metal
>>
>>65482888
>>65482870
>>65482517
>older white people
This might have been true in the 90s, but it's been almost 40 years since Rapper's Delight dropped. Hip-hop has basically always been there in the lifetimes of Gen Xers and Millenials.
>>
Metal is just too hard to get into. Those shitty indie sites love to circlejerk all kinds of hip hop releases though so I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>65482922
Not really. Hip-hop's big entrance into the mainstream started with SOCompton, almost a decade after Sugarhill Gang. People in their 40s can remember a world without hip-hop. It's not been as long as you think.
>>
>>65482919
>this isn't true at all lol
I work full time at a venue, it's rare that we have a metal show (any type of metal, it doesn't matter) where the audience aren't primarily teenagers. We know this because we ID everyone on entry so we can herd them into the drinking/non-drinking sections. We even move the barriers to make the all-ages section larger than the 19+ section before metal shows because we expect large quantities of underagers.

The last time Megadeth played here there were maybe 100 people in total over the age of 25 lmao.
>>
well to be quite honest hip hop has often been lacking of serious criticism because it does not originate from academic or established musical styles. criticism is actually a good thing, when it comes to music, it challenges the work, interprets it, and also tries to contextualize it. through criticism the art form diversifies or increases its complexity. without it, it can suffer from repetition or stagnation. but this is the case with many forms of popular music. rock'n roll was no different in its inception, and even jazz was scoffed at as a bastardization of classical music.

I mean, there will always be people who dismiss the music because it doesn't speak to their culture/race/generation or is too far out of their comfort zone. There are many reasons for this, many reasonable and many that may not be. A 50 year old may not be able to relate to or understand a 25 year old artist's problems. Also a lot of both genres have lots of scenes and subcultures which are inherently exclusionist.

Other music will then get classified alongside these stereotypes or pre-conceived notions, like rap music revolving around "gangsta rap" cliches of money, guns, and hos.
>>
>>65483006
>The last time Megadeth played here there were maybe 100 people in total over the age of 25 lmao.
And they were just old losers who still want to live in 1988.
>>
I'm black, so I'd feel racist if I agreed wholewheartedly with this. There seems to be some truth to it though. Not just with whites, though, people of all races in general. "The music doesn't speak to me personally, therefore it is without artistic merit."
>>
I'll assume that's at least partially a dig at me. The thing is, and obviously there are exceptions, but a lot of metal isn't perceived outside of the metal community as being heavy, loud or particularly bombastic. I mean, come on. If you were 14 when Overkill came out, you'd be in your 50s now. It's not as if you're trying to scare Bing Crosby fans anymore.

3/4 of the time that tired old double bass blast beat is so poorly recorded it sounds like someone drumming pencils on an empty cardboard box. Sufjan Stevens, who I'm sure we can all agree is about as pansy a musician as they come, is a fuck load heavier singing about a young girl with bone marrow cancer than some dufus in corpse paint droning on about the black wings of eternal solitude. If people complain that's it's 'immature,' perhaps that's because it's "adjective - 1. not mature 2. emotionally undeveloped" But whatever. Again - obviously there are ample exceptions to that generalizing. God knows the world doesn't need another thread where metal fans are oh-so-persecuted.

On topic, people struggle with both genres because both are overwhelmingly antagonistic and purposefully coded to exclude people who aren't already invested in them. Look at the ever-shifting slang terminology in hip-hop or the intentionally near-impossible-to-decipher metal band name logos. It creates an exclusivity, and coupled with a hostile attitude some people will obviously be repulsed. That's sort of the point. Noise does it, and Punk did, too.
>>
>>65483006
>metal show
>not 21+ only
kek I see the kind of "metal" you're playing
>>
Metal is too offensive. Vocals that sound like toilets flushing, or maybe even screeching bats; instruments that clash and thunder with squeals and violent chugs; song structures that aren't orthodox and most often about twice the length of any given radio song - I mean who the hell would want to punish their brains by listening to that crap?

And rap is too real. A bunch of foul-mouthed negros (and often wiggas) telling it how it is on the streets, slinging some mind-turning truths about how they see life. As if their opinions ever mattered. Cos that's not how the 99% cornball, white-bread, zombie population experience life. And the music is a hack job of silly jazz samples, irritating drum loops, and the creativity of a four year old to make. What juvenile racket.

I can't even begin to understand how the cream of the crap of both genres get so much recognition, perpetuating their bad image. If people just did a bit of digging for music, they'd find the genres are a goldmine of human experience and some wonderful insights. But they don't dig. They could actually experience something, but they'd rather keep their own version of what it could be and is, to themselves. So, to answer the OP's question, I'd say the main cause of the problem is laziness and ignorance.
>>
>>65483104
First of all it's 19+, this is Canada. Second, the maximum capacity of the venue is 5000 people. We do have 19+ only shows, but for metal it's impossible to reach maximum capacity unless underagers are allowed in. This is the nature of the genre.
>>
Well, as far as I can see both metal and hip-hop are completely at odds with "good taste". Sure, there's some artists from both genres that can crossover into the realms of "good taste" and appeal to both "the normal folk" and the canon defining alt-rock people - Isis/cLOUDDEAD - "y'know I don't normally enjoy metal/rap but this act ______ is different!"

...but the best, most enjoyable examples of both genres are tasteless, politically incorrect, misogynistic and low brow as a motherfucker - eg. Autopsy / Geto Boys

metal = wizards, big titted wenches riding dragons and brandishing oversized phallic swords, gore, abrasive sounds! bigoted intolerance! anger! death!

rap = guns, rampant misogyny, pimp cups, tacky jewellery, crime, abrasive sounds! bigoted intolerance! anger! death!

and i'm glad that's the case
>>
most people are idiots so I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who doesn't like metal or hip hop is probably an idiot, but then again there are many fans of metal and hiphop who are idiots too. As Miles Davis said, there is no good or bad music, just take what you want and leave the rest, like food. You're not better or worse off because you like tomatoes and not potatoes.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.