[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the most trustworthy music reviewer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 551939f3c3a8c_piero_scaruffi.jpg (7 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
551939f3c3a8c_piero_scaruffi.jpg
7 KB, 200x195
Who's the most trustworthy music reviewer?
>>
scruffles
>>
Christgau, because he doesn't try to be anything other than entertaining. Taking music reviews seriously is fucking dumb.
>>
>>65472168
yourself
>>
File: D00000312.jpg (537 KB, 1703x1697) Image search: [Google]
D00000312.jpg
537 KB, 1703x1697
>>65472206
He gave this an A+
>>
>>65472168
>caring about other's opinion
nah
>>
Where's that photo of all of the reviewers with their favorite/highest rated albums.
>>
>>65472206
I've greatly enjoyed nearly all of the stuff Scaruffi has ranked over 8, even if I don't agree with his ratings or reviews. He's also fairly systematic. Christgau's rating/organization system is fucked and I dislike a large percentage of the stuff he rates highly.
>>
>>65472325
Christgau also has no sense of the history of rock music, which Scaruffi at least attempts to incorporate into his criticism and writings.
>>
>>65472206
Chrisgau's New-Wave Reviews on the money.
His Prog Rock reviews on the other hand...

>In the Court of the Crimson King [Atlantic, 1969]
>The plus is because Peter Townshend likes it. This can also be said of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.
> Beware the forthcoming hype--this is ersatz shit.
>D+
>>
Mr Shit from Melody Maker
>>
Whichever reviewer's tastes and biases match your own. The "best" reviewers for each individual person may have "shit taste" according to the hivemind, but are the best for an individual due to biases.

Personally I really like Conor Fynes and Gallifrey from RYM, but many would look at their 5s and laugh. I don't care that they're not "objective", they like a lot of the same stuff I do, therefore they're "trustworthy". And also they write decent reviews and explain themselves, none of this "just give a score and walk off" meme shit.

I find a lot of big name blogs write decent reviews but they focus on stuff that doesn't really interest me. Scaruffi is just a total meme.
>>
File: heavensentyoutome.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
heavensentyoutome.gif
4 MB, 480x270
me
>>
>>65472206
fuck off, robert

you have shit taste

new york dolls are garbage

fuck you
>>
>>65472447
I disagree. Finding critics that have different opinions, and that explain those opinions well, are worth listening to at least as much as critics you agree with. I think it's key to the development of the ear to new sounds, exposure to music and development of personal opinions.
>>
>>65472860
That's how I am, I don't care about their opinions; I just use what they love as a jumping off point and then I give my own verdict on the album.
>>
>>65472168
Lester Bangs is the only music reviewer worth listening to, and I still wouldn't call him "trustworthy".

Scaruffi has good lists but terrible reviews that barely justify his scores.
>>
>>65472860
Yeah that too, but most of the critics /mu/ talks about do neither. They strive so hard to be """"objective"""" but such a thing does not exist. I'd rather listen to a critic with a Fall Out Boy album in their top 50 than one who only has universally acclaimed albums there. Especially people like Marcel, who seem to just tick off every genre and make sure they have at least one album from each style in their top 50 just so they seem more educated. Acknowledging bias is a huge part of understanding your taste.
>>
>>65473266
I think objectivity does exist in music analysis. First with the history. Perhaps if one had absolute knowledge of music then it would be possible to judge them on their influence.

Personally, I consider art to be the interplay of innovation and convention and so those are the albums that I prefer.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.