[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only person who hates Best Of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
>Go to store
>They only have Best Of or Greatest Hits compilations
>9 times out of 10 they offer nothing new for old fans
>Most of the songs on them are just singles, yet they rarely market them as singles collections.

Why do people stand for this bullshit? I'm fine with singles collections, New Order/Joy Division's Substance compilation albums are amazing. But most of them are so useless to listeners...
>>
>>65471763
Queen's first 4-5 albums are nearly 10/10s. Their greatest hit compilations are an absolute joke.
>>
>>65471763
I think most people here hate them. I especially hate it when a best of has 1 or 2 new songs, so i have to get that best of to have a complete collection.
The only good conpilations are rarities collection, because the serve the purpose of gathering all the unreleased work. The Dead Kennedys rarities album is my favorite of all their albums, and the smashing pumpkins rarities albums are also superb. Queen especially is such a great album oriented band, that their best ofs just strip all that magic away.
>>
>>65471999
Plastic Surgery Disasters is the Dead Kennedy's best, imo. What Smashing Pumpkins compilation is good?
>>
>>65471999
agreed. i'll buy any sort of compilation as long as it has unreleased stuff on it. i'm a huge sucker for demos and b-sides and such.
>>
File: slyandthefamilystone.jpg (135 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
slyandthefamilystone.jpg
135 KB, 306x306
>>65471763

hate them in general, but there are a few great Best Of albums
>>
File: 31dZg6+z6YL.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
31dZg6+z6YL.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>65472030
I respect that. But Give me convience was the first I heard so it had a lasting impression.

Picses Iscariot is a solid album, and plays like a studio record. Many consider it to be a core release. The Aeroplane Flies High is a good box set of Mellon Collie outtakes, but its draining due it its length.
>>
>>65472116
Past Masters is the only Beatles comp anyone needs.
>>
>>65472116
d y l a n
>>
>>65471763
A band like The Smiths always had stronger singles than actual albums so the compilations almost work as alternative versions. But generally they are only made for a quick cash grab by studios. Plebs buy them because they are too afraid to start in on a discography or don't want to do the research.
>>
>>65471763
The only reason there isn't other albums is because they dont sell as well as all those Greatest Hits. Normies only buy those so thats all they sell
>>
>>65472116
But past masters plus the British album versions (and maybe Let It Be Naked if you're curious) have all your Beatles needs...

>>65471763
Prince's The Hits/The B-Sides was well done. You have all the singles but the B-sides disc was for the hardcore fans. Also Misfits Collection 1 and 2 are very good for compilations.
>>
File: SMB_Greatest_Hits-1974-78.jpg (55 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
SMB_Greatest_Hits-1974-78.jpg
55 KB, 300x300
>>65471763
Everyone knows Greatest Hits albums only exist so non-music-hobbyists can play something at their shitty barbecues and pool parties without looking like a total asshat.
All that aside, though, this Greatest Hits album is an exception.
>>
This was pretty 10/10
>>
op is some what right that most best off albums are missing some great shit but theres some really good ones too
>>
>>65472328
This
>>
>>65472143
I forgot that Picses Iscariot is a compilation. I never heard Aeroplace Flies High. I'll check that out, thanks bud.
>>
>>65471763
David Bowie compilations are a living Hell since his career was so long and unique. Every 4 to 5 years there seems to be a new "retrospective" set out. Yet songs like "Footstompin'" are lost on now deleted compilations... At least Neil Young's Decade turned out alright.
>>
>>65472379
>Literally The Singles 86-98, 81-85 for plebs
>>
yeah man i'm not a big fan of compilations/best of albums either. finally bit the bullet today and bought Satisfaction, Paint It Black and Jumpin Jack Flash off the Hot Rocks compilation today. pretty gay as fuck desu none of those songs are on UK albums
>>
Don't act like ABBA Gold isn't the greatest compilation humanity has created
>>
>>65472546
It would be if ABBA: The Album and Voulez-Vous werent so essential.
>>
>>65471763
Misfits collection I and II are essential. Fuck it beats their studio albums.
>>
>>65471763
Most greatest hits albums just don't flow that well since they're usually just a collection of singles.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.