[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you even find out which albums to listen to? There are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1465067042481.jpg (56 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1465067042481.jpg
56 KB, 500x385
How do you even find out which albums to listen to? There are literally billions of albums out there and I don't have the time to listen to them all.

People tell me that's what reviews are for but I don't trust them.
>>
>>65462402
Just go through the top 1000 on RYM.
>>
>>65462621

What if there are good albums that aren't in the top 1000 on RYM? I don't just rating sites like those for the same reason I don't trust review sites. What if they're wrong? I feel like I have to listen to every recording ever made or else I might miss something.
>>
>>65462402
Step 1. Listen to the following

—Led Zeppelin—Led Zeppelin II

—Jimi Hendrix—Are You Experienced?

—Velvet Underground—& Nico and White Light/White Heat

—King Crimson—In The Court of The Crimson King

—Pink Floyd—Dark Side of The Moon

—Talking Heads—Remain In Light

—Sonic Youth—Daydream Nation

—My Bloody Valentine—Loveless

Step 2. Congratulations, you've heard everything that was invented in music for the last 60 years. You're on your on your own now
>>
>>65462743
Either start listening and discovering, or cower in fear of missing something and never actually try. Which sounds worse?
>>
>>65462768

I am listening and discovering. However I am disturbed that I will not be able to listen to everything in my lifetime. I know not all recordings are worth listening to. I have wasted a lot of time listening to pretty mediocore or outright terrible albums. However if I didn't listen to them, how would I know if they sucked? They might have been good. I'm just asking people how they know if an album's worth their time.
>>
>>65462743
Then go through the next 1000 in the list.
>>
>>65462858
stupid shit to worry about
>>
>>65462743

>autism on the internet is pure comedy

thanks for the laughs OP
>>
>>65462858
They listen to it. If they like it, it's worth their time. If they don't, they don't listen to it again.
Just pick something. Even bad experiences are still experiences. Or you can do what most people do: choose an artist that you like and listen to someone else in the same genre that you've never heard of.
>>
>>65462743
>advance search
>sort by genre
>analyze popularity/ratings
>choose your preferred year

Can music be anymore easier to find these days?
>>
>>65463067
But there's good and bad music in every genre. And popularity and year is irrelevant. There's good and bad music of all popularities and in all years.

>>65463023
>If they don't, they don't listen to it again.

But then you've wasted that 50 or so minutes listening to lousy music. That can be saved, but how?

>>65462922
Worrying about the limited time we have on this earth is stupid shit? Making the most out of one's life is stupid shit?
>>
>>65462747
Nice bait
>>
i fucking hate summer
>>
I just look through sites and lists and listen to things that catch my interest. Be it with good reviews, a cool cover, name, album title, combination of genres, relation to something i already like, etc. It's impossible to know for sure whether you'll like something. You might hate something a lot of people like or like something everyone hates. Just try and stop worrying about not being able to hear everything.
>>
1. Get Spotify
2. Go to an artist you like
3. Listen to a related artist from the handy function.
4. Go to related artist of the related artist.
5. Repeat 4 until you find something good.

By far the best way of finding new music that might be enjoyable I've found.
>>
>>65462402
I used to listen by songs. I remember i looked in the internet for the songs that i liked on the radio, back when my parents drove us to school. Eventually decided to listen to albums of those songs. Some stood the test of time, some didn't. If i want something new i either look for the things they liked, or artists that like the same i do.
>>
>>65462747
I don't see any Queen on there.
>>
>>65465145
This, Spotify is the precious.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.