[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rock was already dead in the mid 80s. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
File: KISS3.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1584) Image search: [Google]
KISS3.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1584
Rock was already dead in the mid 80s. Discuss.
>>
Nah, Rock died with the proliferation of the internet and musicians didn't have much of an incentive to record and release music when they found out they couldn't compete the ultimate market rival, that which is piracy.

And touring is a pain in the ass and fucking expensive, so rock died in the late 00s imho.
>>
NOPE

Here's an album from the mid 80s that's more rock than KISS ever were
>>
>>65461790

no, it isn't. rock is not dead, but it's not mainstream anymore, what the media and the mainstream press and audience call "rock" most of the times it's not.
>>
File: a3981429634_16.jpg (39 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a3981429634_16.jpg
39 KB, 700x700
>>65461823
here's another
>>
Why has there been such a hatred for rock music and this meme that it is old and outdated?
But ignoring the fact that jazz or country isnt old, and classical and folk are ancient.
And the synthesizer was invented in 1900 so electronic music is older than rock but MUH EDM MOVE OUT THE WAY GRMBA.

I think it all relates to daddy issues
>>
>>65461906
I love rock music, but it has been derivative with no relevant innovations since the 90s. Thats why some people say its dead.
>>
>>65462271
so we just going to ignore radiohead or lcd soundsystem or emo and indie musi.
Even nu metal.
Christ folk music has been a guy with a guitar for 1000000 years now.

There really has been some effort to shit on rock music for the past few years for sins other music genres do too.
>>
>>65461823

That album came out in 1992 you fuckwit.

NoU wasn't even formed until 1988.
>>
>>65462271
NOPE
screamo got better in the 00s. Garage rock completely changed, and the scene now is the strongest it's ever been. Lo-Fi Goth has revitalized the goth scene, and the average goth band today is way better than the average goth bands of previous decades. There's lots going on in rock, much of it of very high quality, whether you're a fan of it or not.

I would call you "grandpa", but I'm almost certain you're younger than me
>>
>>65462271
Mainstream/pop rock music has been stagnant for a while (or rather, it's now either repttition of older formulas or completely blended with other genres) but on smaller scales and scenes, rock music is still very much alive.
>hard rock is growing strong with stoner/desert rock being immensely popular and prolific, electronic arrangments opening the floodgates for prog metal, psychedelic/jam oriented stuff being pretty popular, not to mention black metal being at a creative high
>punk rock has so many established local scenes and possibility for bands to expand beyond that
>indie and emo, whether you like them or not, are both more and more present and the original revival of the mid 2000s has turned into its own thing at this point
>>
>>65462367
>Garage rock
You are proving my point. Im not saying its bad now, just derivative. Rock bands in the 60s and 70s were inspired by other genres, but now they are mostly inspired by old rock acts.
>>
>>65462327
okay, so I got the date wrong. They formed in the mid to late 80s. Still proves you're wrong, retard
>>
>>65462485
>You are proving my point. Im not saying its bad now, just derivative
>but now they are mostly inspired by old rock acts.
Pretty much every current local band I've seen incorporate electronic elements and very post-modern ideas. None of them look to the dinosaur classic rock acts.

Listen to more music.
>>
>>65461790
In the past two years alone artists like Tame Impala, The War on Drugs, and Radiohead have been moving the genre forward and making fresh music. People have been saying rock was dead basically since Elvis joined the army.
>>
If you look at the audience reception for The Strokes (just one band) at Governor's Ball last weekend, you can see huge amounts of people still love rock music.
>>
>>65461790
>Tame Impala
>King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
>Rival Sons
rock is dead, kek
>>
>>65462727
Even on the charts, love them or loathe them, Twenty One Pilots are spearheading a kind of MIDI/808 rock that is very popular and you can see critically acclaimed artists like Grimes also doing.
>>
>>65462822
What are the best King Gizzard and Rival Sons albums to get into them?
>>
>>65462835
>Even on the charts
Not relevant.

This is the problem with all the "rock is dead lol" idiots. The charts don't matter. for every artist you see "on the charts" there's a thousand more slaving in the underground and DIY scene.

The reality is rock never died, it just became less marketable to a mainstream audience, so gave way to things that are more popular (read: dance-able).
>>
>>65462727
>every current local band I've seen incorporate electronic elements
How is that new?
>very post-modern ideas
Examples?
>None of them look to the dinosaur classic rock acts
They are still influenced by them, wheter is garage rock, krautrock, new wave, etc.

>>65462675
Im not that anon, but how that album proves anything? Punk was invented in the 70s.
>>
>>65462819
That band died 6 years ago
>>
>>65462901
I think you're misunderstanding my point. There are popular acts (maybe not as many in the past) on the charts making electronic-influenced rock music, just as there are also as you said tons of great underground artists inspired by the form.
>>
>>65462860
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie
>>
>>65462925
>They are still influenced by them, wheter is garage rock, krautrock, new wave, etc.
New wave has also influenced Taylor Swift, The Weekend, and any number of popular synthpop acts. How many hip hop artists do you hear also referencing some past ideal of "real hip hop"? Even Beyonce collaborated with Jack White, Ezra Koenig, and Father John Misty on her latest album. Rihanna's new album was described by the producer as trying to embody an alternative/indie vibe and has a Tame Impala cover on it.
>>
>>65462925
>How is that new?
Are you asking how new unheard timbres due to electronic manipulation is new?
>They are still influenced by them
Except influence =/= emulation
Can was influenced by The Beatles, yet they sound nothing alike.
>Examples?
What are you looking for here?
>>65462941
Those acts are vanilla garbage.
>>
>>65462998
Again, missing my point. Rock (vanilla or not) is still popular on the charts and with underground audiences. The 1975 or King Gizzard, take your pick.
>>
>>65462926
Whatever you think about the band (I think their last few albums have had great moments), my point is that there's still a large audience that likes rock music.
>>
>>65463033
>Again, missing my point
Are you missing mine?
>here let me explain my point...
I don't care.
>>
File: 1346579326362.png (5 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1346579326362.png
5 KB, 419x249
The past couple of years has been nothing but poptmists and EDM faggots in snap backs gleefully announcing the death of rock music like fucking arctic monkeys or 21 pilots or tame impla or diiv or the 1975 or mgmt, or vampire weekend or alabama shakes or arcade fire or the black keys dont exist.

And like the current state of electronic music in all its retard normie mainstream funded by venture capitalism millennial glory is something interesting or groundbreaking
>>
>>65463055
That's a nice way to admit you've lost an argument.
>>
>>65463080
Yup. Poptimists are 100% right though that hip-hop is in a really vital phase at the moment, though. But then again rock critics recognized the artistic worth of hip hop a while ago now.
>>
>>65463109
What argument?

The "rock" on the charts isn't really rock, it's just pop.
>>
>>65463170
Just like the Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. In the late 70s, the only way Pink Floyd got on the singles charts was through recording disco crossovers. Same as it ever was.
>>
>>65461829
This
>>
File: turner.png (451 KB, 874x595) Image search: [Google]
turner.png
451 KB, 874x595
Mu really lives in some hipster bubble.
You yourself may not like the arctic monkeys but 35 million people do.
More 16 year old girls know who the arctic monkies are than neutral malk hotel or some random dude making bleep bloops or lil ugly fag face the new meme rapper that will disaasper and be replaced by another meme rapper in 6 months
>>
>>65463530
1. that screenshot says that the video has been seen 35 million times, not that 52 million people like it.
2. popularity doesn't say anything about the quality of this or that. The fact that a lot of people think ro say something is irrelevant.
>>
>>65463621
*not that 35 million people like it.
>>
>>65463530

implying this stupid indie band it's actually rock music. they have great songs, don't get me wrong, but it's not rock, it's an indie band with guitars and a stupid fuck like turner that thinks he's the last savior of rock n roll, and he believes that because of people like you.
>>
>>65463621
You say rock is irrelevant but then you say popularity doesnt matter.
Face it dude, you're retarded.
>>
>>65463621

this
>>
>>65463621
>moving goalposts
Still, it's pretty sad to see that the popular rock acts of the moment (Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, the Strokes) are either derivative or lost themselves trying to adapt with the times.
Rock isn't very exciting at the mainstream level but it's doing all fine on the smaller scales.
>>
>>65463299
Oh is Satisfaction and I Wanna Hold Your Hand disco covers?
>>
>>65463683
>it's not rock, it's an indie band with guitars
Which is rock
>>
>>65463713

this is the most accurate definition. The fact that bands like the strokes or arctic monkeys are nowadays consider rock for the mainstream just defines how dead is rock n roll for the mainstream audience. in the underground scene, however, there's a lot of cool stuff to listen and see live
>>
>>65461815
Fuck off Simmons.
>>
>>65463734
Did you not read? The Stones biggest hit of the late 70s was "Miss You," one of the best disco songs for that matter. The Beatles had broken up by 1970, but yes, Paul McCartney had big solo hits with disco tracks like "Silly Love Songs" and "Goodnight Tonight."
>>
>>65463734
They are not disco covers, but they are 100% pop songs.
>>
>>65464130
>Did you not read?
Well lets' see what was said:
>the only way Pink Floyd got on the singles charts was through recording disco crossovers.
>SAME AS IT EVER WAS.
So my question is "Oh is Satisfaction and I Wanna Hold Your Hand disco covers?"
>>65464149
In the sense that rock is popular music, yes.
>>
>>65461790
But why are you posting a band who's heyday was 10 years before that?
>>
>>65464130
Protip: Miss You and Start Me Up were the highest-charting Stones songs ever and their best selling album ever was Some Girls, not Exile or Sticky Fingers as people often believe.
>>
>>65461790
Daydream Nation
Spiderland
>>
>>65463132
>But then again rock critics recognized the artistic worth of hip hop a while ago now
I just wanna say, Christgau was ahead of the curve. He was promoting hip-hop well before any other rock critics of note.
>>
>>65462985
>How many hip hop artists do you hear also referencing some past ideal of "real hip hop"?

>not thinking how much that Tupac was a sainted figure that inspired an entire generation of rappers
>>
>>65461790
I think most of rocks real innovations had happened by that point, yeah. A lot of great music was made after that though.
>>
>>65462776
>Tame Impala
>moving anything forward

I don't think playing pastiche 60s-70s blues rock counts as moving anything forward.
>>
>>65462860
in your mind fuzz and quarters imo
>>
>>65465426
You rarely see him mentioned here. Most rapfans just discuss what is currently popular.
>>
It's not so much rock as guitar music in general has kind of, ah, gone kaput. For a while, country was the last place you could hear guitar music on the radio, yet much of new country doesn't even have guitars.
>>
As Charlie Watts said in the late 70s, "Rock-and-roll is a couple of guitars playing over a 4/4 backbeat. You can't improve on it. It's silly and loud and that's that. We're not doing anything different from what Chuck Berry did 22 years ago."
>>
>>65462901
>The reality is rock never died, it just became less marketable to a mainstream audience
...record labels didn't want to invest in it.

The truth is, record labels like pop better because pop stars are easier and faster to develop and thus more immediate monetary returns.
>>
>>65465484
lol
>>
Rock died out because it captured a certain period in time, namely the late 20th century, and reflected the values of that time.
>>
Rock merely developed into several sub genres, many distanced from the original sound and style of the early blues based simplicity of the music.

It was actually going very strong in the 80s as it evolved into pop rock, hardcore, and extreme heavy metal.
>>
I wonder where OP gets it that rock had died by the mid-80s, because last I checked rock only died off after 2005.
>>
Rock died with Lemmy
>>
>>65465729
It's not untrue of course that the blues sound largely disappeared from rock in the 80s and we can debate over why that was.
>>
"The industry is dead. Illegal downloading has killed everything. There's no way to make any money anymore unless you're a rapper or a pop star or play in a thrash...well, I guess there's none of those around anymore...an emo band."
>>
>>65465934
"Illegal downloading has given me ingrown toenails and they are very painful!"
>>
>>65465934
>"Illegal downloads are destroying music because they make me get a little less money with zero work or effort"
>t. Chaim Witz, israeli
Geez, I wonder why people can't tale him or Kiss very seriously.
>>
But the best rock album of all time came out in 1987 (Appetite for Destruction)
>>
>>65463080
21 pilots isnt rock
>>
File: 3x3 2.png (1 MB, 756x756) Image search: [Google]
3x3 2.png
1 MB, 756x756
Rock didn't die it just started smoking more
>>
>>65469110
kek, good one
>>
>>65461790
A genre does not "die". In fact, all genres go through a period of creative drought. This has happened with folk (multiple times in fact), country, metal, blues, jazz and it'll happen to hip hop and electronic too. Rock is currently going through it's own.
>>
rock died when he did
>>
>>65462271
yeah because electronic music isn't derivative, everything is derp. Entire electronic genres were created from songs that a bunch of laptop musicians ripped off.
>>
>>65462478
>black metal being at a creative high
examples?
>>
>black metal being at a creative high

as if it was ever good
>>
I want an exact date on this rock dying in the mid 80's. And if you can't give one, i want a date with your aunt.
>>
>>65470706
This. Most good rock groups today are stoner bands.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.