[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could Marilyn Manson have done to maintain his relevance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1024x768
What could Marilyn Manson have done to maintain his relevance after the 90's? What can he do to make any sort of comeback?

I think Marilyn made the right move by taking a different approach after The Golden Age of Grotesque and creating a confessional (Eat Me Drink Me), but he should've changed his style radically or at least took bigger steps with experimentalism. He should've went from shock rock to a style like Radiohead.
>>
IMO Eat Me Drink Me is his worst album. It's just boring.

MM is a really good lyricist, but I've always found his sound really lame - it's silly creaky vocals over halloween sound effects. It's the ultimate in making industrial-style sounds cheesy. Early on he made music that was actually really decent live, sort of halfway between Christian Death-style deathrock and nu metal. I would've liked him to stick with this a little longer.
His industrial rock-style stuff with Reznor is actually interesting, but I wish he'd gone less rock and more industrial. He actually would've sounded really nice with a stronger Einsturzende Neubauten influence, or even Red Mecca-era Cabaret Voltaire.
IMO the best thing he ever did was Mechanical Animals, but even then the dreary Halloween sounds and vocals drag everything down a bit.
His newer albums have been a good comeback - I can see what you mean with the Radiohead comparison.

In other words, I feel like he's always gone too shallow - I want him to stop drowning in hard rock mediocrity and just plunge into electronic experimentation. He's always felt like a lightweight version of whatever he's hinting at, whether it's Nine Inch Nails, Christian Death, Einsturzende Neubauten, Boyd Rice, Skinny Puppy, or whatever.
>>
>>65459080
>In other words, I feel like he's always gone too shallow - I want him to stop drowning in hard rock mediocrity and just plunge into electronic experimentation.

It would be interesting to see Marilyn Manson do that but it's too late
>>
File: IMG_20160526_232928.jpg (255 KB, 874x1198) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160526_232928.jpg
255 KB, 874x1198
I wish there was another album that sounded like mechanical animals. Other than that I like all of his work minus Born Villian
>>
File: scar.png (2 MB, 1014x692) Image search: [Google]
scar.png
2 MB, 1014x692
>>65458950
>He should've went from shock rock to a style like Radiohead.

He’ll probably do something like that towards the end of his career
>>
File: 1461398870319.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461398870319.jpg
202 KB, 1024x768
>>65458950
His latest stuff is pretty tight, also
>>
>>65458950
>to a style like radiohead
Trent Reznor tried that and look how that turned out.
>>
>>65461365
Who's that wrinkly old man?
>>
>>65461646
He won an oscar?
>>
>>65461706
yes but his music became shit.

It became very similar to Radiohead's music, in that sense.
>>
I thought the Pale Emperor was a decent comeback. But still going over well worn territory. I do wish he'd experiment more.
>>
File: Manson_spooky_20.jpg (49 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
Manson_spooky_20.jpg
49 KB, 300x449
OP, you're wrong. Soft experimental music isn't the way to go. It only appeals to spineless intellectuals with nothing to be angry about (the kind who listen to Radiohead and like it).

I agree that he should try to be more experimental, but first and foremost he needs to get some EDGE back into his music. I mean some legit edge, where he's pissed off at stuff that's actually disturbing, and portrays it in a fittingly grotesque manner.

The question is, what could he still be angry about?

In the early 90s he was angry about how pop culture portrays childhood.

In the late 90s he was angry about the rock star phenomenon.

In the early 2000s he was angry about the glamorization of violence.

and then he was just kinda sad
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.