[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Who - Quadrophenia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1465178912823.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1465178912823.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
What does /mu/ think of this album?
>>
My personal all-time favourite record. I haven't really ever heard of anyone listening to it properly and not liking it, it just excels in everything which makes music great.
>>
Great album, immensly underrated, one of prog rocks finest records
>>
>>65458220
DR REDDIT AND MR PLEB
>>
>>65458220
I think it's one of the greatest rock records of all time.
>>
>>65458254
>listening to it properly
What do you consider a proper listen?
>>
>>65459479
As in a full listen with undivided attention. It doesn't work if you have it on in the background, it's the lyrical and musical motifs/themes holding the album together that you're most likely to miss and just assume it's another faux-theatrical dadrock record.
>>
10/10
>>
6/10

Definitely not as good as the Art of Fugue.
>>
>>65458220

i prefer them when they were younger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnd1IdwFLU
>>
This > any Led Zep or Beatles albums
>>
>>65460100
I'll half way agree. The Beatles at their best were better than this, but this is far better than any Led Zeppelin album.
>>
>>65460150
What do you define as their best? As far as I can see this outdoes anything on Sgt Pepper for creativity, technicality and emotion. I suppose the White Album is comparable being a double-album and relatively consistent in quality, but it isn't nearly as hard-hitting.
>>
>>65460409
Not that anon, but I think its on the same level as the best Batles albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, MMT, White Album, Abbey Road). Anything else is just personal preference.
>>
>>65460409
>emotion
>hard-hitting
Not relevant
>creativity
In as far as instrumentation and arrangement? No.
>technicality
This is at least true.
>>
>>65460409
I'd say that Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are them at their best.
>>
My favorite The Who release. It stuck with me immediately. I actually really enjoyed it as opposed to Who's Next which, while amazing in its own right, wasn't as fulfilling a listen as this one.

10/10
>>
Quadrophenia and Tommy are the only Who albums I've listened to so I can't compare it much to their other records, but it is a fucking great album. The movie does a shitty job of adapting it though, I wish it actually followed the album instead of throwing together a whole different track list
>>
>>65460622
Instrumentation and arrangement on Wuadrophenia far surpasses Sgt Pepper. In addition to all the field recordings, synthesiser work and crazy percussion, the players are treated like sections of the orchestra in a Wagnerian opera, each with their own recurring motifs representing different characters/places/themes, which come together at various points and often in different time signatures.
>>
>>65458254
Right with you there man, by far my favorite album
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.