[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best Prog House/Trance album of all time? It flows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
File: Random Album Title.jpg (470 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Random Album Title.jpg
470 KB, 1500x1500
Is this the best Prog House/Trance album of all time? It flows so smoothly, and has a comfy, pleasant feeling throughout.
>>
1. That isn't trance.
2. deadmau5 isn't the best at anything because he's fucking garbage
3. Listen to more music, specifically house music
>>
>>65447614
You could have said "no" and recommended me something you thought was better, but by being a complete ass you gave me several reasons to disregard and discard your opinion.

>that isn't trance
it is a blend of trance, techno house and progressive house
>>
>>65447502
>prog

Heh, educate yourself kiddo. This ain't prog - Floyd was prog, Tool is prog. This drivel from a laptop isn't even close.
>>
>>65447735
>Floyd was prog, Tool is prog. This drivel from a laptop
t. outdated rockist """expert"""
>>
>>65447735
Prog House = Progressive House which is a genre much different to Progressive Rock (which I also thoroughly enjoy) or Progressive Metal

Educate yourself kiddo.
>>
>>65447502
retard

>>65447735
bait or retard, can't decide
>>
>>65447723
Lol sorry for not spoonfeeding your simpleminded, pedestrian baby ass.

And no, it's no fucking trance. Listen to more fucking music you retard.
>>
>>65447801
>Lmao lmao i wont sp0nfed you
t. somebody who does not know what he's talking about and thus can not come up with any relevant examples
>>
>>65447502
armin van buuren - imagine
>>
>>65447865
this
>>
>>65447845
He's right though, some of his songs sound trancey but aren't actually trance
>>
Strobe is a 10/10 song. Everything else by him is either bad or mediocre. I know because I've listened to literally everything by him when he was my favorite musician
>>
>>65448460
Woah woah woah
Are you forgetting I Remember?
>>
>>65447502
>Is this the best Prog House

yes. Brazil, I Remember, Faxing Berlin and Arguru are among the best things that have happened in the genre
>>
Everyone who gets stuck on genre labels is now, and always has been, stupid. You're not proving anything by demonstrating knowledge of genre labels, and the reason why that's so, is because they are superfluous to whether a given work is actually good or not. There's a reason why most of the better creators don't get hung up on labels, and even make some effort to resist them: because they correctly interpret these as secondary, academic, the little boring stuff for non-creators to argue over.
>>
Deadmouse is entry level house/trance. He is by no means the best.

Go listen to a Zyzz playlist if you want some good trance to really get you started
>>
xD such a random album title :3
>>
>>65448604
What the fuck does any of that have to do with this thread?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 225x225
If you're taking prog house / trance, Eric Prydz presents Pryda is GOAT
>>
ITT: le genre snobs
>>
>>65448615
Where would you rank the In Search of Sunrise albums by any chance?
>>
>>65448460

This thread is pretty aggro but let me attempt some constructive discussion.

I like Deadmau5, but I never got the EXTRA-SPECIAL UNIVERSAL love that party-normies seem to have for Strobe. It's a nice track with a nice slow build, but better tracks include October and the somewhat harder (but not stupidly so) A City In Florida, for the Gay Club In Heat sensibility.

In its album-context on FLOABN, Strobe seems simply to be one of the stronger tracks on one of the weaker albums, or collections of tracks. All of OP's album, 4x4 and ATGH are stronger collections of tracks.
>>
File: deadmau5 studio.jpg (1 MB, 2400x800) Image search: [Google]
deadmau5 studio.jpg
1 MB, 2400x800
>>65447735
Yeah thats a cool looking laptop
>>
Deadmau5 album and song titles are pure 100% reddit, he has a few great songs (strobe, I remember, the veldt, etc...) but most of it is just boring entry level stuff with the occasional "le trolling"
It appeals to middle schoolers and redditors who believe they have superior taste in electronic music over the skrilleggs fans, but it's the second name in electronic music everyone knows and he really isn't that good
>>
>>65448658

About half of the posts in this thread are angry, high-school tier worrying about genre, the same type of boring thing that punk fans and metal fans will do when they cloister themselves and start discussing seriously, such as they can. Most people grow out of this along with their teens, and when they consume music, they return to a simpler, more honest, more correct like/don't like rubric, which cuts through genre.

Given your cursing it's reasonable to suppose that you've written some of these stupid posts. Meanwhile the creator is the superior animal.
>>
>>65448845
Would you say he has a fairly unique style of Prog-House though?
>>
>>65448744
I listened through his discography this last week and thought 4x4 had one of the better collection of tracks, but sofi needs a ladder is awful and absolutely kills any fondness for that album as a whole.
He does a decent job at the progressive and slightly trancey stuff, but up front electro house is not his strong suit
>>
>>65448884
I don't think it's unique, I think he can't decide if he likes prog house, electro house, or trance, so he mixes the three in different doses to varying degrees of success.
I didn't get very much consistency in his sound at all throughout his discography
>>
>>65449001
Fair enough, been thinking of listening to more mau5 lately but if he's as mediocre as you say I'll just give it a pass
>>
>>65447865
>He did absolutely nothing in regard to constructing that album in any way

Look it up, he doesn't make his productions.
>>
>>65447614
LOOK MOM I TYPED IT AGAIN
>>
File: Opus_Eric_Prydz_cover_artwork.jpg (9 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Opus_Eric_Prydz_cover_artwork.jpg
9 KB, 220x220
I'm no expert on the genre and I'm still trying to drive deeper into it, I don't have to be a prog house expert to hear that Deadmau5 is mediocre

If you like progressive house and trance, check out Eric Prydz.
And if any y'all got more suggestions for good progressive house, feel free to share.
>>
>>65448951

I can understand disliking a raunchy female vocalist (I hate Uffie, for example), but for some reason the two selections on 4x4 just work for me.

I really wore that album out a few years ago, maybe it's time to pick it up again.
>>
>>65447801
jesus fuck mane why are you being such a cunt to the guy. its a music board and this thread was CLEARLY in an effort to expand OP's taste and get some nice recs. don't be a cunt for no reason just give him a rec or shut the fuck up. If you're going to try to do some higher than thou shit at least give him a rec to something dope what you say actually has some merit.
>>
>>65449186
Opus was absolutely fucking trash. He has done some great work, but fuck the bland progression of the track and the generic melody was like he just didn't care and wanted the song done within a day.

>>65449187
The original tracks without her voice are infinitely better. Her voice and the actual lyrics are fucking terrible.
>>
>>65449153
Is this b8 or are you retarded?
>>
>>65449234
I thought opus was pretty bland with the exception of opus and generate, but his other stuff(Pryda) was great. I was just looking for another picture for him
>>
File: download (2).jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Any trance man in? I've been a disciple of everything anjunabeats for the past year or so, but I'm trying to get into some deeper cuts and more progressive stuff now, looking for stuff to check out
>>
>>65449356
I've been in ASOT fan for a year now, try listening to an episode - especially a 138 one.
>>
>>65448859
>About half of the posts in this thread are angry, high-school tier worrying about genre
Hardly any of the posts are actually arguing about genres. The only person that is even making a big deal out of this is you.
Even then, there's nothing wrong with genre labels themselves. They exist to describe an established sound in music and people generally gravitate to genre labels because they want to hear more of that paticular sound in different perspectives. I agree that obsessing over them is childish and shallow, but correcting someone when they describe something incorrectly isn't.

>Given your cursing
Jesus Christ, are you twelve or is this just wishful thinking?

>Meanwhile the creator is the superior animal.
I wonder who's behind this post.
>>
File: 20160603_121915.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160603_121915.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
This thread is a good example of why all of 4chan is irredeemably dysfunctional. Anonymity brings out the worst in us. Time for a change.
>>
File: SSPureCoverFinal(600).jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SSPureCoverFinal(600).jpg
49 KB, 600x600
>>65449413
ASOT is great, I didn't know anyone on /mu/ listened to it.
Anyone listen to Solarstone?
>>
>>65447865
this
>>
>>65449638
Same guy, yeah holy fuck I love Solarstone
>>
File: 1.gif (2 MB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
2 MB, 320x246
>>65449273
>l am cIueIessIy convinced everyone makes their own music because why wouId anyone Iie just to make a few hundred thousand doIIars a year amirite?

Look up:

>Diplo
>Steve Aoki
>Dj Breux (original producer that was scammed)
>Steve Angello
>EDX (literally hired a producer with the requirement: "know how to produce that Dead Mow Five sound"
>Hardwell and ANYONE from Spinnin Records
>Swedish HM (Axwell made everything, Eric left because he didn't want the other 2 clowns leaching off his work, very smart choice)
>Pendulum (technically had to rename themselves to loop hole a production issue when hiring their new team for "that Skrillex sound" bandwagoning they had made for them)
>B T (this guy was been busted dozens of times going to unis and having people scout talent for him there so he can give kids "internships" or a flat fee at shit pay to mix / master his work and make his patches for him / work on programming for his V S Ts
>Porter Robinson
>Mat Zo (doesn't even do his own fucking show mixes and had to admit it)
>Glenn Morrison (he had a FUCK load of stuff removed from being searched up though, this guy really put a lot of work into attempting to clean up just to disappear)
>Tiesto (biggest fucking offender of this, has been busted left and right, hasn't done a single fucking thing his whole career thanks to Dennis Wakkop aka Dennis Reijers and Maarten Vorwerk, as well as nearly 40 others involved in his productions and mixes)

All these people are supported by (like Tiesto is) such people as:
Dennis Waakop Reijers
Joachim Garraud
Niles Hollowell-Dhar (KSHMR)
Thomas Helsloot
Sander Kleinenberg
Fabian Lenssen
ZROG
Justin Bates
Maarten Vorwerk
Derek Allen

and Benno De Goeij, the main go to for Armin, you faggot.
>>
Dailey reminder:

"Stereo Love" is an absolute classic.
>>
>>65449823
That's a lot of effort you put in to try deface my lord and saviour, Armin.
Not falling for your sneaky tactics, anon.
>>
>>65449823
Does Diplo really not make his own music? I know a lot of guys in that scene don't but I thought he was one of the few that do?
>>
>>65447502
wew no
>>
>"Strobe? Please, pleb– I only listen to the deep cuts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNa-TxqZvQ
>>
>>65447614
Diplo doesn't produce his own music? That's the biggest shock to me, he actually pays someone to make utter garbage.
>>
>>65449955
Derek Allen (DJA) and Djemba team up to make most of his music, and he pulled the other producers from his Major Laser projects in to make his solo tracks as well.
>>
>>65450075
That's kinda sad.

I imagine there's someone out that that makes godly festival trap music and would be a worldwide phenomenon if he didn't sell all of his music to big name artists.
>>
>>65450052
GOAT
Most underrated besides 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki9h7CWipbo
>>
>>65450052
but this is a good song
do not bully us
>>
>>65450105

Fun fact:

DJ Breaux originally produced the track Turn Down 4 What, which the faggot DJ Snake found in time before it became popular, then sold it off to CoIumbia Records (CLAlMlNG lT WAS HlS OWN WORK) to use in their efforts to promote IiI Jon even further in the House / EDM music scene after the hit "TurbuIence" (aIso produced by people who never got credit)

>Breaux was left in the dust making NOTHlNG
>Turn Down became a huge hit amongst the mindIess faggots who bought into it
>IiI Jon got an insane amount of popuIarity off of FOUR FUCKlNG WORDS THAT HE DlDN'T EVEN WRlTE

They're aII Iiars peopIe, get reaI and start doing some research.
>>
>all this underage summer fags fighting about genres
>le is not trance, is not dubstep, is not trap all over again
fuck haters OP, that's a great album, entry level maybe, but a great album comfy as fuck and top tier production
>>
>>65449869
DaiIy reminder:

Jennifer Iopez was denied by Edward Maya when she requested to use his track for her vocaIs or even make her a new track because he wanted nothing to do with her mess of a career.

She the proceeded to hire someone to recreate his styIe for "On The FIoor", simiIar to what EDX did when he hired someone to reproduce OP pic reIated's sound.
>>
>>65449001
how did you feel about while(1<2)? He pretty much dropped the whole Prog House deal with something a bit more abstract. Of course he also made a few dancey house tracks so the shitstorm from "fans" would not be so big, but otherwise, the record is a lot more minimalist and downtempo than his previous works.
>>
>>65450833
His styIe was originaIIy minimaI and many of his non major reIeases are in Iine with this. Same with when he was in B S O D when he started.

He originaIIy onIy started making the stuff most peopIe Iike for his Iive sets in hopes of getting with UItra (both of which he did).

Check out his recent mixes, he stiII does a bunch of minimaI.
>>
>>65450833
>>65451001
Waiting for him to go full tech house
He's already been doing live sets with dudes like Marco Carola and Plastikkman for a while now, it'd be nice
>>
>>65451023
wouldn't it be nice?
>>
Yes. This is the best progressive house album of all time and is an extremely satisfying listen.

Every track's ending blends into the next track in a seamless manner. These transitions are true to dance music roots by making them sometimes as long as a minute.

This is an album that rewards the patient. It has its upbeat moments but its introspective ones as well.

This album is worth every listen and I find myself returning to it often.

Despite having listened to thousands of albums, I can say that this is easily in my top 100.
>>
>>65448803
I want a laptop like that. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I want it.
>>
>>65451060
Agreeing with this. The extra effort to not just fade tracks in and out was well worth it.

>The intro to Faxing BerIin
Every time.
>>
It's a good album, some of his songs are a bit repetitive though. Love Faxing Berlin, Brazil (2nd Edit), I Remember
>>
>>65451615
Check out the videos where people play his entire albums laid over one another to make one track.
>>
>>65448803
>Thinking you can't make any of those sounds with an entry IeveI Iaptop
>>
>>65450285
Lil John played a DJ set at a loca EDM fest last year. I didn't go but it sounded fun. I imagined he would have played Kings of Crunk era stuff and not actual EDM. Weird.
>>
>>65449429

Still approaching things with a teenage mind. :^)
>>
>>65452423
> :^)

And this is how we know you're too stupid for this site.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 625x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 625x470
>>65447502
Discovery by Daft Punk is the best house album ever made
>>
>>65453224

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AKrwna2C8

>You now reaIize they are taIentIess, bIatant thieves
>>
>>65453734
https://youtu.be/53p7ogqJqqs

This french house group (french house being a genre based around sampling disco to recreate basslines) stole music, durr.
> you now realize your an idiot
>>
>>65453928
But they hardly changed anything,
even Vaporwave is more intuitive than Daft Punk.

(Not him)
>>
>>65453928
> you now realize your an idiot
>your an idiot
>your

You are too fucking stupid to even insuIt.

Embarrassing.
>>
>>65450052
nice song. i remember is still my fav song by him even if its simple af and pleb
>>
The full version of faxing berlin is the bees knees
>>
>>65454205
>All that extra cow bell
>>
People who hate on this album are metalheads and contrarians who are contrarian just for the sake of being not in the majority.

Joel is a pioneer.
>>
old mau5 will always be best mau5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PBu7BSNiU
>>
File: Deadmau5-Studio-Main-1074x483.jpg (122 KB, 1074x483) Image search: [Google]
Deadmau5-Studio-Main-1074x483.jpg
122 KB, 1074x483
>>65448803
>not posting pics of his new studio
>>
>>65453734
Discovery was basically one giant tribute to the music that Thomas and Guy-Manuel listened to while growing up. Glad you figured that out.
>>
>>65448642
Fuck off Reddit!!
>>
File: prog house.png (3 MB, 1600x1388) Image search: [Google]
prog house.png
3 MB, 1600x1388
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.