[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since /classical/ is too busy discussing records from the 50's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: topsters2.png (496 KB, 2560x1064) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.png
496 KB, 2560x1064
Since /classical/ is too busy discussing records from the 50's of 200 year old music, let's discuss contemporary/modern classical, /mu/.
>>
i miss old /mu/
>>
>>65435183
Indie VS metal threads and circlejerks interspersed with Dave Grohls face.

Why?
>>
File: morton_feldman.jpg (100 KB, 600x529) Image search: [Google]
morton_feldman.jpg
100 KB, 600x529
Hello.
>>
>>65435499
hello overrated
>>
File: modern shits.png (530 KB, 2865x1991) Image search: [Google]
modern shits.png
530 KB, 2865x1991
Richter sucks :^)

Birtwistle is cool though
>>
>>65436309
Is Morton Feldman overrated PS?
>>
"Since /classical/ is too busy discussing actual classical music and lasting compositions and performances, let's shitpost about meme classical for high schoolers."
>>
Feldman's second string quartet appears on the surface to be one of the most devastatingly inaccessible pieces of music in the twentieth century. It surely sat around on my computer for awhile before I got the nerve to digest it one disc at a time.

But a funny thing happened: a work I expected to come back to in five sittings ended up filling my ears continuously with the only interruptions being necessary tasks of life. The album grabbed me like no music ever has, but I can sort of contextualize it within my limited and by-no-means-universal experiences to try to shed some light on the beauty of the album for people who might not be "getting it." The low volume of tones is the first piece of this puzzle: constantly insisting that the listener lean in closer, allow the album to overcome him/her. This is already a highly cliched perspective, but perhaps it speaks to the excellence of the record that there's just that something about it that people give up trying to explain and just resort to the tried-and-true re-contextualization of others' words.
>>
>>65436416
Feldman is like stockhausen, but without any spectacle. Some people like him, some dont.

I dont really see much merit in his music compared to other 20th century composers.
>>
>>65436309
Can you upload that John Psathas?
>>
>>65436511
And that gets to the heart of it - this massive work is, ironically, the most intimate, beautiful thing I might ever hear. If I may indulge in the classic method of reviewing these quiet pieces RYM is so endeared towards but can never sum up why except through some weird pseudo-synesthesia, this album is like waking up at 6 a.m. on a Sunday (and just coincidentally the same length as that experience) - you roll back over, but your sleep is never restored. Gradiently, you move around, fighting to regain your R.E.M. but ultimately content to lie in bed. You get small two-hour increments of sleep until finally when you see 11 on your clock, you are okay with greeting the world... and then you lie there awake for another hour. It's sort of like that, I guess.
>>
>>65436640
you definitely have no idea what you're talking about if you think Feldman's closest comparison is Stockhausen
>>
>>65436511
>one of the most devastatingly inaccessible pieces of music in the twentieth century

It's really quite simple chamber music. It's not very complex or hard to listen to. Sure it's long, but it's just music.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.