[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Kings/Queens of their respective genres
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 636x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 636x421
ITT: Kings/Queens of their respective genres
>>
>>
File: Pink_Floyd_(1971).png (167 KB, 759x279) Image search: [Google]
Pink_Floyd_(1971).png
167 KB, 759x279
>>
>>65433431
this desu
>>
>>65433350
nice bait
>>
>>65433473
RIP Nick
>>
>>65433473
'no'
>>
File: kanye-west2.jpg (367 KB, 1203x803) Image search: [Google]
kanye-west2.jpg
367 KB, 1203x803
He may not have the most pin point flow but his overall production makes up for that. He has several classic albums.

MBDTF will arguably go down as one of the best. Even his image, everything he stands for, the several times he's influenced the entire genre and swayed the new direction it took.

The dude is king of this genre and it's amazing that he's remained as relevant as he has throughout his entire career.
>>
>>
>>65433350
>>
File: MFW KKK takes my baby away.jpg (11 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
MFW KKK takes my baby away.jpg
11 KB, 512x288
>>
File: vulfpeckmeme.jpg (10 KB, 335x150) Image search: [Google]
vulfpeckmeme.jpg
10 KB, 335x150
>>
File: coil001.jpg (43 KB, 799x1179) Image search: [Google]
coil001.jpg
43 KB, 799x1179
>>65433820
fuck you

>>65434562
ALL HAIL MARINA
>>
>>65433350
The revelation that Lars wasn't the god everyone made him into didn't come overnight, things started to sort of change my opinion a little at a time. I think the first inclination I had that maybe he wasn't so great was when I was on one of my first tours out of country, and someone in the band had downloaded a version of Ride The Lightning that was ripped from a 45rpm vinyl, but was slowed down to 33rpm. This gave songs like Fight Fire With Fire and For Whom The Bell Tolls an awesome, sludgy feel and it was like listening to a whole other doom metal album. The guitars sounded thick and muddy, the bass was huge, but the drums? Well the drums sort of ruined everything.

It was very apparent when the drums came in that while the guitars and bass were spot on, the timing on the drums was off pretty much all the time. Rolls were sloppy, double kicks were skipping and swinging and the whole thing felt very detached and sloppy. You might think that's unfair, to slow down a record and then criticize it, but I guarantee you if you slow down a Slayer record Dave Lombardo's drumming will sound just as tight as it does sped up. When you think of all the great metal drummers that play tighter, faster music than Metallica, it's pretty disappointing that Lars couldn't do then what thousands of drummers that he influenced can do now. But again, this was just my first inclination, my second was when I found out how Metallica makes records.
>>
>>65434755
When bands record an album, the standard procedure is to start with the drums. For most forms of rock and metal, this is the blueprint. Drums are the foundation of a band, so recording them first and getting them right is usually the first step. then the bass guitar, then guitars, then vocals, yadda yadda yadda. But that's not how Metallica makes records.

Metallica record the guitars first. Then the bass. Then the drums. Now, taking different approaches to recording is not necessarily a bad thing, but this seems like it would be a lot more work for no reason. Unless of course, you have a drummer with poor timing, then it makes total sense.

You see, the thing for me that really tips the scale in favour of Lars being a not-so-great drummer, is how he writes drum parts, or rather, how he doesn't write them at all. Lars' style is something I've invented a term for, he drums-by-numbers. What that means is, he simply plays the most obvious and easiest accompaniment to the guitars. When the guitars go chugga-chugga-chugga-womp, he goes thudda-thudda-thudda-pow and everything is layed out for him nice and neat. I mean hell, why think of a cool part when you can sell a million records by putting absolutely no thought into being stylish or creative?
>>
>>65434770
Now you might be wondering how I can attack the drumming of someone I learned so much from, but here's the thing. The way Lars plays drums lends itself perfectly to someone just learning the basics because essentially, that's all Lars does. He plays the most obvious, basic thing, thus making his albums great learning tools. It's a great foundation for further development, except Lars himself has never developed, and with age his endurance and speed has naturally deteriorated, leaving his absence of creativity and talent much more noticeable. Now, knowing this, it makes much more sense to record albums the way Metallica does, because with the guitar part locked in tight he can figure out what to do instead of the guitars playing off of the drums, which I'm sure would just be a disaster.

Normally, I wouldn't care about this sort of thing. Hell, Phil Rudd has made a career out of this exact thing, and I love that about him. But Phil Rudd isn't getting top honours in best drummer polls, and he's not on the covers of the drum magazines. For some reason, Lars has been able to fool hordes of drummers into thinking he's this amazing virtuoso, and his inflated ego and attitude towards everything just drive me crazy enough that I felt like someone had to finally say it. There's no shame in being a mediocre part of an otherwise amazing, talented and iconic band, but don't walk around as if you're the Zeus of an instrument you've hardly mastered.

I firmly believe that Metallica could have rounded up any drummer (and really, they kind of did) and been just as successful. Lars should realize his place in that band isn't to wow everyone into thinking he's incredible, his place is to keep a solid foundation so the other guys can really show off.
>>
>>6543335
Stone Age can't get any better
>>
File: 021494.19.jpg (36 KB, 364x550) Image search: [Google]
021494.19.jpg
36 KB, 364x550
>>
File: Converge.jpg (3 MB, 1800x1215) Image search: [Google]
Converge.jpg
3 MB, 1800x1215
I guess we're supposed to be meme-ing now but fuck it
>>
>>65433820
this desu desu
>>
>>65433473
Dave looks fucking pissed
Why is he mad /mu/
>>
File: up-buzzo.jpg (13 KB, 164x214) Image search: [Google]
up-buzzo.jpg
13 KB, 164x214
>>
File: Solex2.jpg (50 KB, 432x641) Image search: [Google]
Solex2.jpg
50 KB, 432x641
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.