[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here NOT like the Berlin trilogy except for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 9915029_BowieBerlinTrilogy666.jpg (90 KB, 666x499) Image search: [Google]
9915029_BowieBerlinTrilogy666.jpg
90 KB, 666x499
Does anyone else here NOT like the Berlin trilogy except for a few songs like Heroes?
>>
>>65407514

Yeah, people with shit taste.
>>
>>65407514
I don't like Lodger.
>>
>>65407514
Lodger is mediocre but Low and Heroes are some of the best albums he put out.
>>
File: 1441737028889.jpg (86 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
1441737028889.jpg
86 KB, 800x638
>Low
Masterpiece juxtaposing brief tight rapid pop melodies with a spacious ambient backside.

>"Heroes"
Low 2 with a less synthesized sound and more focus on individual songs. Arguably much more emotional. Less even, but title track is the best song Bowie ever made.

>Lodger
Proto-Scary Monsters, full focus on pop songs, less adventurous, very equal quality in tracklisting makes it one of the most consistent Bowie releases.
>>
>>65407514
Lodger is trash imo.
Heroes is patchy for me, but I like some tracks.
Low is a top-tier album.
I sort of agree, but I think that objectively they're probably pretty good, and most of the music community can't be idiots, so there must be something in these releases.
>>
Heroes being his very best song slightly ruins the rest of the album for me since even though it's all great, that title track is still immensely better than the rest. Low is lovely. Never really cared much for Lodger.
>>
>>65407514
memewie is garbare, you only like it because he died
>>
>>65409231
>t. child who only discovered bowie last week
some of us existed before he died, fag
>>
>>65409231
I only like your mom because shes alive blowing me
>>
>honky tonk piano and cheesy quasi-funk guitar lines all over the place
>people think Bowie is GOAT

Low is kind of a good album though.
>>
>>65407522
this
>>
Lodger is pretty great once you get into it enough. Fantastic Voyage, DJ, Boys Keep Swinging, Repetition, all great songs
still Sister Midnight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Red Money
>>
>>65407522
this desu
>>
>>65407514
Low is really nice
>>
I'm probably in the minority with a few of these opinions but:

Referring to Low/Heroes/Lodger as the Berlin trilogy is misleading in terms of the albums themselves. They're literally the three made in Berlin, but a better set of albums in terms of understanding his creative direction would be Station to Station/Low/Heroes. Lodger was a shift in direction that's closer to Scary Monsters than it is to his other Berlin works and it gets unjustly hated because of its relation to those albums.
I also think that of the three albums I'd say were closest in style, Heroes is the best, followed by Station to Station, and then Low. Of the three, Low is frequently the least interesting. The instrumental section of Heroes are more varied and enjoyable and the songs feel more fleshed out and competent, like he had really gotten a hold on his resources and sound. I still think Low is one of his best albums and the difference in quality is extremely minimal, but between the three I'd say it felt a hair less impressive.
I also think Iggy's albums should get more discussion when discussing Bowie's Berlin output because they're effectively companion pieces considering how strong Bowie's influence (and at times control) over them was.
>>
>>65409861
I agree with you in a lot of ways but swap "Heroes" with StS.
Station to Station>Heroes>The Idiot>Low>Lust for Life>Lodger
>>
>>65407514
heroes is the worst one.
>>
Lodger is underrated
>>
I think Station to Station is much, much better than the Berlin Trilogy. The Berlin Trilogy was more influential, though.

>Low
I mostly like it, but I prefer Roxy Music's first album any day, and it was released 6 years earlier. "What in the World" sounds like a Gameboy, "Weeping Wall" is no Steve Reich, and "Warszawa" is boring and so overrated. Too many gimmicks ("Speed of Life" is the same thing for a few bars, "Breaking Glass" is the same thing once on the left speaker, then on the right speaker...). The drum sound was a nice Visconti discovery, but everyone else after that used it awfully. I love the rhythm section and the European feeling, but I'm still a bit disappointed by this album. All collaborations Eno have done sound half-finished, to me.

>"Heroes"
"Joe the Lion" is just a variation of "Speed of Life". "Sons of the Silent Age" and "Blackout" have nothing original, to me. The gloomy-spooky keyboard on "Sense of Doubt" sounds clichéd. I like the rest, though ("V-2 Schneider" has this really clever and fun thing with the consonants). The best parts of Low and Heroes on a single LP would have made a really good album.

>Lodger
Probably my favourite from the Berlin Trilogy (find an original LP or RCA PD-84234 CD, though. the mix is thin, and the other CDs sound really bad... Visconti is working on a remix, though). It's not an immediate record. It's less serious, it has some humour. It sounds a bit like Talking Heads. "Red Money" is a really disappointing album ending, though.
>>
>>65407522
First post best post.
>>
>>65409861
Yes, Station to Station and The Idiot should not be forgotten.
>>
>>65409861
Some good points raised here
>>
>>65409231
you do realise that bowie was one of the most universally like artists on /mu/
>>
Stray bowie thoughts
>Bowies 5 album run of StS through Scary Monsters is the best in music history
>Lodger is severely underrated
>I love the ambient side of Low but dislike it on Heroes
>Sons of the Silent Age and Secret Life of Arabia are my favorite Heroes tracks
>>
>>65410210
you seem like a very cynical person
>>
>>65409861
hi devin
>>
>>65407514
Lodger is almost like Kate Bush before Kate Bush, if you think about it. The problem is that it's not exactly focused in the ideas that it's trying to execute. Low and Heroes had a sort of precision that Lodger didn't have.
>>
Good thread. I personally love Low and haven't heard the others yet. I hope you guys all like "Always Crashing in the Same Car".
>>
>>65411049
i agree w/all your opinions, except i don't really care for either ambient side. they're not bad songs by any means, but i just never am in the right mood to listen to them
>>
look if Lodger wasn't released as part of this trilogy, then it would be regarded as one of his best pop albums
>>
>>65407514
The trilogy is the main reason why Bowie will be remembered through centuries
>>
>>65411440
>you seem like a very cynical person
Don't know why you're saying that?

I'm a bit harsh on Low, but actually I like it a lot. I'm just a bit disappointed, I think it could have been better.

But in the end, I'm just a big Bowie fan who's disappointed that Station to Station or Hunky Dory don't get as much praise as the Berlin Trilogy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.