[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Avalanches "Electro-Swing"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 1
File: sily cover.jpg (265 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sily cover.jpg
265 KB, 600x600
Most are saying the new track "Frankie Sinatra" is electro-swing just because it has trumpets, tubas, jazz inspiration and 1940s entertainment samples. J Dillas album Donuts also has trumpets on "Gobstopper" and "Glazed", jazz influence throughout the entire album and 1940s entertainment in tracks like "Lightworks". Is Donuts electro-swing too now just because it has some brass instruments? Madvilliany has clarinets and trumpets in it too along with hip hop; is it electro-swing too? When does the use of brass instruments at an upbeat tempo with rap go from turntabalism and hip hop to electro-swing?
>>
Except Donuts and Madvillainy don't sound at all like Electro-Swing. Listen to any Electro-Swing once and you'll realize why Frankie Sinatra IS Electro-Swing.
>>
>responding to the bait and thus validating it

Come on man
>>
>>65397480
I thought I liked Frankie Sinatra when it came out.
Now I know its shit, pure shit.

Electroswing needs to go away
>>
What's electroswing?
>>
>>65397763
Frankie Sinatra by the avalanches is a good example of electroswing
>>
>>65397480
Why did you put so much effort into dismantling bait
>>
>>65397791
ok thanks
>>
>>65397512
No no no. Sounding like something only tells part of the story. SILY is Plunderphonics, it may sound like certain other genres, but due to how it's produced (sample-heavy music that creates new compositions) it is Plunderphonics.

Frankie Sinatra works the same way. It's a bunch of samples thrown together to create a Hip Hop beat. It's most prominent sample is a Calypso track, which may sound like a Swing track, but actually isn't. Also, Electro Swing is not based upon Hip Hop, but rather EDM, and often uses synths, modulars, and more punchy drum kits, while Frankie Sinatra is based on Hip Hop, and uses brass and Jazz samples and turntableism to bring that effect (commonly used in Hip Hop). Listening to any real Electro Swing should make the differences immediately clear, if you actually know what you're talking about.

>>65397565
>Basing your entire perception on a song, based on a genre tag
You're a fucking faggot, Montie.
>>
OP are you retarded or just pretending to be?

This is the most popular electro swing band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

If you don't think Frankie Sinatra sounds like the above, or even worse, that J Dilla sounds like the above, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
I've been hearing countless arguments about whether Frankie Sinatra is electro-swing or not. Can someone actually explain to why the hell electro-swing is bad?
>>
>>65397845
If you can't hear the difference between this and Frankie Sinatra, you have literally no insight in electronic dance music.

>>65397903
It's seen as a rather simple genre, as in simple to make. Kind of like Vaporwave. Also, it got really popular on Reddit. That's basically it.
>>
>>65397565
>letting a shitty meme influence your opinion

kek
>>
>>65397565
what a fucking joke you are
>>
>>65397903
It's not inherently bad I guess, but nothing significant has been made in the genre, it's really gimmicky so far
>>
>>65397962
>>65397929
So to summarize, popular and simple = bad?
>>
>>65397903
Or better yet, can someone actually explain why the hell the genre designation is important?
>>
SECOND AVALANCHES SINGLE LEAKED, ITS LIT

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vmHiuRgWuY (unembed)
>>
>>65397987
no
>>
>>65397987
According to /mu/-memers.

>>65398000
I got nothing.
>>
>>65397987
popular and simple + reddit equals bad

...on 4chan

..if your a massive faggot
>>
>>65397987

No, /mu/ are legit cuckolds for Kanye West, Drake and Young Thug
>>
>>65398034
*has legit fans
enjoying something doesn't make you a cuck
>>
now that you're all here you can check out the true plunderphonics masterpiece

http://kidsandexplosions.com/

thank me later
>>
>>65398034
how is kanye simple
>>
>>65398057

If you're being ironic, hurrhurr

If you're genuinely asking, I need you to go back to R3DD1T and don't return here until you're at least 25.
>>
>>65398010
Then why is electro-swing is bad?
>>
>>65398071
This is the mentality that is putting /mu/ on life-support.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVpstcNni8
compare

fuck off if you say this doesnt sound like electro swing, its the EXACT same beat
>>
fucking hell this is cringe why does australia ruin everything?
>>
>>65398052
I was expecting meme garbage, but this is actually pretty good.
>>
>>65398106
True, people on this board are not willing to discuss and just assume that any disagreeing with them is shitposting
>>
>>65398083
i specifically said it's not inherently bad

it's not a good genre because there is no good music being made under the genre, it's that simple
>>
>>65398130
no memeing here this is legitimately one of my favourite albums. the way the samples eventually work together to form a melody is great.
>>
>>65397832
it doesn't even matter what the fuck it is, all that matters is that it's shit, stop that genrebabble
>>
>>65398119
No, it's not the "exact same" beat. There are clear fucking differences you tone deaf retard.
>>
>>65398119
See >>65397832

You're also a goddamn mongoloid for thinking that Frankie Sinatra sound like anything like that. Also some of those tracks aren't even electro swing.
>>
>>65398071
i see you have literally zero arguments and no grasp on the subject

stop posting
>>
>>65398052
Listening now, sounds like a shittier Girl Talk with less schizophrenia
>>
>>65398165
I didn't start the thread, and some people said it was Electro Swing just because it sounded like Electro Swing to them, which I a) rebutted and b) isn't even a fucking argument. I didn't said that I liked the track, I just argued why it wasn't Electro Swing, which was funnily enough the subject of the thread.

But no, let's not have rational relevant discussion. That is obviously the cancer of this board and must be cast aside so we can fit in more shitposting and memes.
>>
>>65398305
girl talk is way shittier. their song structure are song A then part of song B comes in, Song A fades out and C comes in only to come back to A. very very formulaic and definitely not cut up enough.
>>
it's too slow to be electro swing
>>
>>65398071
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2014/05/rap-analysis-kanye-west-monster.html
Fuck off idiot and next time criticise an artist based on their music not their fanbase.
>>
>>65398312
yes, discussion about what genre to classify something as is cancer. especially if it's sth like this
>>
>yfw there's people who exclusively listen to electro swing mixes on youtube
>>
>>65398432
>tfw they have more fun with that music with me with anything
>>
>>65398467
try weed
>>
>>65398467
no one's denying ignorance is bliss
>>
>>65398397
>Stop discussing what I don't like to discuss.
Next time you feel your eighth grade symptoms rise, please refrain from having a temper tantrum on an age restricted site for a false sense of entitlement. Thank you.
>>
>>65398491
more like stop discussing things that have no relevance, mean nothing, accomplish nothing and are a waste of time. Even discussing how to make all of this better has more sense but I guess you're done for
>>
>the same people baiting to this meme are the same people bating to radiohead sounding like coldplay and anco sounding like fanboy and chumchum memes
>>
>>65398612
Oh yeah, and make absolute statements and shitposting about the genre and quality of the track is SO much more productive. What the fuck are you doing with your life?
>>
>>65398052
Holy shit this is good. The song "Swear Words" is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>65398717
i like the elongated thom yorke 'shit' somewhere near the middle
>>
>>65398700
That track IS absolutely garbage, though.
>>
>>65398769
I don't give a shit if it's BrokenCyde or Bach, I only weighed in on the Electro Swing thing, and apparently that triggers people.
>>
>>65398833
>I don't give a shit if it's BrokenCyde or Bach

but neither of those are electro swing anon :^)
>>
>>65398859
I was talking about quality there not the genre m808 :^)
>>
>>65397480
>living in such denial

this IS electro-swing, but it's still fucking great. it's so fucking catchy I can't stop listening to it

>>65397565
you're a fucking shit I hope you get gang raped in a damp, stinky alley while Nikee is watching
>>
>>65398687
>the people that like all that derivative trash that their sacred cows put out are the same person going through mental gymnastics to justify their shit taste.
>>
>>65397832
Something can be plunderphonics and electro swing. Prove me wrong. Regardless I actually like Frankie Sinatra.
>>
the song reminds me of something off of demon days. or gorillaz in general
>>
>giving a shit if it's electroswing or not

who the hell cares? are you really trying to look cool to a bunch of dweebs on the internet?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.