[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever buy downloads of albums? Why or why not? Personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (45 KB, 910x314) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45 KB, 910x314
Do you ever buy downloads of albums? Why or why not?

Personally, I do. I like the fact that I don't have to wait 5 days for it to come, I like the cheaper price, and I also appreciate the individual ways different labels package their albums. Sometimes there's a quirk like slightly different artwork, sometimes there's a notepad with the details of the encoding, sometimes it's just the files no fuss. But I think there's just as much aesthetic enjoyment to come from downloads as there is from CD or vinyl.
>>
>>65394727
No, if I'm gonna buy an album I might as well get something to stick on the shelf.
>>
>>65394770
>I might as well get something to stick on the shelf.
Isn't that a bit narcissistic though?
>>
>>65394779
Huh, how is that narcissistic?
>>
>>65394840
Because it's not so much about the music at that point as it is having something you can show off or otherwise lord over others.
>>
>>65394883
I mean sure, there is a braggatory aspect to it I guess but it's not that I put more value in that than I put into the music it's just that if I'm just gonna download something I'll probably just pirate it, unless it's something off of Bandcamp so I guess my first post was wrong but if I'm buying something why not get something physical along with it if I can? I like physical things.
>>
>>65394883
Some people do sure. I share my collection with others who are interested maybe 3 or 4 times a year because in real life no one gives a shit about the records you own.

It's all for personal satisfaction. A nice collection is something you can be proud of and satisfied with, which is NOT the same as showing off and lording over.

>>65394727
The only time I ever buy downloads is if it's something I really want to hear and can't buy a physical copy. I know the chances are slim, but you conceivably lose that 18.99 set of files and be shit out of luck. I know where my records are, where my cds are, where my tapes are. I can find them and play them and have to worry ever about the hosting site being taken down, or my hard drive crashing.

I disagree with the idea that there's just as much aesthetic enjoyment from digital. It's not something you can truly admire and turn over in your hand. You can't hold it and feel the work that someone put into it. You have pixels. Speaking strictly aesthetically, you have only pixels.
>>
>>65395030
>>65395029
>The only time I ever buy downloads is if it's something I really want to hear and can't buy a physical copy

Basically this.
>>
hardly ever, honestly. the only time i have in the past 6 months was for the new autechre.
>>
>>65395030
>but you conceivably lose that 18.99 set of files and be shit out of luck.
Actually I've found like 100% of the time if you email them they'll re-link you.
Had to do it for the 4 Jim O'Rourke albums I bought from them: it was a year later and I had to reset my PC. Got the links a few hours later.
But what if the CD gets scratched? Or God knows all the problems with vinyl? The files will last longer.
>>
>>65395030
>>65395122
Also would like to note: I've been able to get new links for re-downloading from Sony, 12k, Bandcamp, et cetera. They're understanding.
>>
>>65395122
Rip the CD or torrent the files for backup.

Also, a lot of physical purchases nowadays also give you a digital download so there's that.
>>
>>65395197
>torrent the files
Not a valid option
>rip the files
But if you lose those, still no recourse for lost files.
>>
>>65394727
No. This is how you properly consume music:

>Download illegally
>If it's worth it, buy the physical copy
>If you didn't like it, move on to the next thing and repeat
>>
>>65395122
>But what if the CD gets scratched?
I have since I started buying music, owned about 600 cds, most of which have been sold or given away. I would guess that of those I've had 10 scratched to the point of not being playable. Every time it was someone else. Just take care of your stuff and it's not a problem.

>Or God knows all the problems with vinyl?
Same deal. Just take care of it, unless it's a total accident or a manufacturing issue, you don't really run into problems. A lot of times manufacturers will replace any defective records.

>The files will last longer.
As long as hard drive. Basically any physical purchase comes with a download anyway.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, do what you want to do, but this is my viewpoint. It's so easy to take care of your things. If i loan something out anymore, it's to someone I trust.
>>
>>65395320
>Not a valid option
Definitely a valid option
>>
>>65395320
Why isn't torrenting a valid option? If you rip the files from a cd, you presumably own the cd and can re-rip the files.
>>
>>65395333
If you don't care about music that is.
>>65395356
I know it doesn't happen often, but it does happen is what I'm saying.
>>65395378
>>65395379
Piracy is not a valid option for consumption, it's illegal.
If you pirate that's fine but you don't own the music.
>>
>>65395356
As an addition to this, I have CDs that have outlasted 2 computers. Just saying.
>>
>>65394727
Anyone else here buy music but torrent FLAC?
>>
>>65394770
>>65394779
>Hey mate I bought this album from this new band you should give it a listen i'll lend you the CD if you want

>FUCK YOU YOU NARCISSISTIC CUNT I'M NOT FRIENDS WITH YOU ANYMORE BECAUSE YOU BUY CDS YOU POSEUR!

This thread was created with the intent to show off the fact you buy music then go and call others narcissistic if they prefer a physical copy topkek
>>
>>65395442
Fuck off trip we were having a good discussion.
>>
>>65395419
>If you don't care about music that is.
How does that make any sense? If one were to actually follow >>65395333, then they would be supporting music that they like. How is that synonymous with not caring?
>>
>>65395457
Not really. There are just two opposing viewpoints, with no concession from either side.
>>
>>65395505
Because you don't see music as something that deserves support, only as something for you to pose with "if you like it."
I'm happy to say just about every record I've ever pirated (because it wasn't on streaming) I've gone on to buy. Because music deserves people's support.
>>65395519
It's better than the trip's contribution.
>>
>>65395419
>Piracy is not a valid option for consumption, it's illegal.
>If you pirate that's fine but you don't own the music.

Fine I'll play by your rules then, forget torrenting, if I lose the files I can just re-rip them, like someone else said, CDs and vinyls don't just get damaged like that as long as you're not fucking around with them or whatever. This is ridiculous but I have a goddamn Crazy Frog CD that someone gave me when I was a kid and it still plays just fine.

And once again, physical releases usually come with digital downloads.
>>
Nah, I dislike the idea of buying digital music. If I'm going to buy music I want a physical copy.
>>
>>65395608
All I'm saying is that there are good reasons for buying digital music.
>>65395636
pls read the thread
>>
>>65395556
>I'm happy to say just about every record I've ever pirated (because it wasn't on streaming) I've gone on to buy.
Why did you pirate it then?
If you buy everything you listen to just go out and buy it right off the bat.
>>
>>65395652
>pls read the thread
Reading the thread isn't going to make me want to buy digitally instead of getting a CD. Now if there was no physical copy and the only way to buy it was digitally then that's another matter though I would only do that if it wasn't available to pirate.
>>
>>65395556
>Because you don't see music as something that deserves support, only as something for you to pose with "if you like it."
Are you suggesting that people should indiscriminately waste money on music regardless of whether they like it or not?
You shouldn't have to buy something if you don't like it or if you don't want to. People should supporting things that they like and avoid things they don't like.
>>
>>65395652
>All I'm saying is that there are good reasons for buying digital music.
Listen I'm not saying there aren't good reasons, if that's your thing there's nothing wrong with it, all i've been saying is that if I'm gonna buy an album I prefer to get a physical copy of it if I can.
>>
>Do you ever buy downloads of albums? Why or why not?

ye, I have a Bandcamp account and it's an easy way to get good music in WAV or better
>>
>>65395556
That is a VERY philanthropic viewpoint, and not financially feasible or responsible for the majority of the demographic that your argument is pointed towards.

Does an art collector buy every painting he sees because art deserves support? No, that's silly and wasteful. Music DOES deserve support, but the rate at which the people here listen to music, 90% of us would have no money to live or do anything else in life - I like doing other things, and will support the bands and musicians that I feel passionate about or that I think PARTICULARLY deserve support.

You cannot claim that we don't care about music because we don't pay for everything all the time or that we don't see it as something that deserves support. THAT is arrogant and narcissistic.
>>
>>65395693
>>65395752
Streaming.
>>
>>65395806
Streaming doesn't do a very good job of supporting anyone and doesn't have as much stuff available as you could find physical copies of or pirate.
>>
>>65395842
It's better than pirating.
>>
>>65395752
To add to what he said, generally you'll want to support things you think are good because 1) You want to pay for the work that has been done on that particular thing, be it an album, a painting or whatever and 2) You want to support things of kind and that quality or higher to be made.
Indiscriminately buying everything you listen to because you want to support music as a whole isn't really good practice in my opinion because along the way you're gonna end up supporting a lot of garbage and basically stating with your wallet that, hey, I want more of this trash, dump it on me.

The way I see it, among other reasons, this is why trailers for movies, demos for video games and now streaming for music exist, so you can assess if something deserves your money or not.
>>
>>65395910
>2) You want to support things of kind and that quality or higher to be made.
Let me just clarify what I meant here which was that you want to support things that are in your opinion good so that they keep getting made instead of things that are maybe not as good.
>>
>>65395866
It's only "better" for the artist, but not by much. Most music streaming services are shitty anyway and I'd rather not give them money.
>>
>>65396058
It's not even necessarily better for the artist. I mean sure, they get something, but from what I've read about streaming the money they get is basically nothing. I doubt it's significant enough to really matter if you're not the most popular artist on the site. And on the consumer end it's just another monthly fee and I hate subscriptions like that and would rather just pay the price for the album, though I guess most artists make barely anything from album sales either. The physical option is more attractive to me.
>>
I just wish I wasn't the only person who likes buying things digitally
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.