[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /mu/ think cassettes will ever come back? Does /mu/ ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160414_191318.jpg (204 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_191318.jpg
204 KB, 953x953
Does /mu/ think cassettes will ever come back? Does /mu/ ever purchase cassettes?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>65394622
No. The resurgence right now, with bedroom Bandcamp projects and small-time musicians releasing music on cassettes for novelty's sake, is likely as much of a comeback as we'll see.
>>
>>65394666
Well that's disappointing
>>
>>65394714
Why? What do you like about cassettes so much? I don't collect them but I grew up with them and hated them once I moved on to CD's/digital, and even vinyl records. A lot just stopped working after a while or the sound quality (which isn't great to begin with) would go to absolute shit after a while.
>>
>>65394622
no they sucked ass
>>
>>65394743
I understood why they became obsolete after CDs came about but after seeing the hype around vinyls coming back I figured the same would happen to cassettes. Without all the preteen fandom and the outrageous price tag
>>
>>65394849
Vinyl records have good sound quality though, unlike cassettes. The whole digital vs. analog debate is not a rabbit hole I want to go down right now, but for the most part vinyl and digital should sound equally good on decent mid-range sound systems.

Cassettes have more finicky equipment, tape hiss, and a lower audio signal quality (equivalent to a 14-bit file IIRC). Of all the obsolete audio formats to make a resergence, vinyl made the most sense.
>>
>>65394743
>>65394849
Also, and I might be completely alone on this, but all physical copies of CDs I purchased have gone on my computer. I have no need to ever touch a cd again and I can't remember when last I actually paid for a physical copy of an album. Cassettes would at least bring that back
>>
>>65394997
Makes sense
>>
>>65395003
Sounds like you enjoy cassettes the same reason most people enjoy buying vinyl records - it's nice to get a physical copy of an album and go through the process of setting up equipment, playing it and enjoying it. It can add to the experience of enjoying an album.
>>
File: 800px-US_Army_powered_armor.jpg (206 KB, 800x1262) Image search: [Google]
800px-US_Army_powered_armor.jpg
206 KB, 800x1262
The only reason cassettes came back is because normies started buying vinyl and hipsters got mad they weren't special snowflakes anymore so they forced the cassette meme.
Also right now vaporwave is dead in the underground but its slowly moving into the normie sphere, expect it to be fully mainstream in the coming years so normies can pretend they are hip and underground.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.