[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /mu/ play any instruments?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5
File: Kevin_Burke_2.jpg (322 KB, 1709x1123) Image search: [Google]
Kevin_Burke_2.jpg
322 KB, 1709x1123
Does /mu/ play any instruments?
>>
I dabble eclectically
>>
The computer.
>>
you're mum
>>
I used to play the flute and sing in a Choir when I was in 5th grade after starting a few years back. I went through a lot of personal bullshit when I was younger mainly due to depressing and my nerves being all fucked up though it's better now.

I can't remember when I dropped the flute but towards the end of 5th grade the class schedule was so fucked up that music class was directly on top of another core class (I think math/science) and my music teacher giving no thought to how bad the school had messed up everyone's schedule simply told me I could either show up on time or not show up at all. At that point I quit and never put much thought into it.

Thinking about it now I really wish I had gotten into digital production or another interment and really took the time to learn music engineering but hindsight is 20/20/ I do IT, and broadcast events so I know the hardware side of Audio but very little when it comes to actually producing tracks though I'm sure if you locked me in a room for an hour with FL studio, a microphone, and some samples I could come up with something palatable.

I had always been a huge music fan because of my line of work but I never became a serious audiophile until a few years back. I went through that transition phase in Depression where you go back and forth between hating everything to trying to drown it all out in my childhood and teen years to the point where I just accept how fucked my situation is and try to make the best of it.

IDK. I could probably learn the software end of things but I don't have the time, money, or probably and most importantly the talent to actually be a professional in that space the way I am in other fields. I'm always trying to grasp at stuff just to be involved like that time I became a free-lance journalist with a handful of actually legit gigs. I guess my biggest flaw is I'm afraid of failure because of how much of a toll being a total loser took on my early on and now.
>>
>>65378219
I can play 3. Piano, guitar, and Tenor Saxophone
>>
played trumpet in middle school, got sick of it.

been playing drums for ~5 years, started learning guitar a couple weeks ago
>>
>>65378219
Yes. Guitar, Banjo, and Djembe
>>
>>65378738
cont.

Maybe that's why I put so much effort into cataloging and listening to music these days. Music for me has always been a form of escapism weather it's on a plane, at my desk, or at some club featuring that DeeJay of the week who's set is way too repetitive. I can never stop thinking, music for me is a temporary form of alleviation weather it's mono, burial, bad religion, deadmau5, or insert any half-way decent vapor release. The only music I don't like is Country and I'm tardy when it comes to most rap albums.

I guess my other fatal flaw is I'm not comfortable wallowing in a hedonistic haze or simply being a passive observer. I might actually be working events again. I get the most self-satisfaction out of entertaining people and putting on a good show. I really wish I had my brother's skills when it came to graphic design and what he knows when it comes to music. I don't know where to start on a guitar or his drum kit.

I guess I'm always trying to find an impossible balance, and I'm afraid of being betrayed by my expectations if I get my hopes up too high, but a constant state of apathy isn't really healthy compared to the alternative of just hoping for the best.

Sorry for hijacking I just needed to write for a minute.
>>
>>65378219
I've been a piano fag for a while. I used to play only classical music but now I just sit down and actually play the piano...
>>
In order of competence from highest to lowest: drums, bass, guitar. I'm not great at any of them though.
I sing, too, but I'm into punk rock so it can be hard to judge if I'm actually any good
>>
>>65378219
Upright bass, electric bass and learning basics of piano and music theory.
>>
chabelo?
>>
Anyone play Irish fiddle?
>>
>>65378219
Upright bass, bass guitar, cello, accordion, tin whistle and kit drums.
My father was a music producer, music has always been my life.
>>
I sing, and i play the alto and baritone sax.
>>
>>65378219
Bass guitar
>>
soprano, alto, and tenor sax, guitar, concertina
>>
>>65381179
you mean the violin
>>
File: okrpw.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
okrpw.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
we play the instrument of criticism
>>
>>65378219
I sing, play clarinet and bass guitar as well as some percussion
>>
>>65378219
Just drums
>>
guitar, keyboard, laptop
>>
>>65381703
yes
>>
Yes. Anyone that doesnt should stick to top 40
>>
Guitar, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drums, Trumpet, the list goes on.. (not really)
>>
Post-neo-/mu/ is too avant-teen to play instruments. All they care about is RYM, judging a song by how unpopular it is and redirecting someone to /pol/.
>>
>>65378219
Bass Guitar, Upright Bass, Banjo
>>
>>65383250
thats just buzzwords
>>
>>65383250
I don't understand. How can you claim to know music and not play anything
>>
>>65383447
Nobody understands: they're the 99% of /mu/. They just jerk off to what Scaruffi, Fantano or Pitchfork think is good. You don't apparently need skills on music boards.
>>
i would fucking love to learn the viola and pretend i was john cale.

Yes i am a pleb.
>>
who /GuitarBassDrumsKeyboardSing/ here?
>>
Guitar, Bass, and Sitar
>>
alto and tenor sax, clarinet, bass guitar, piano, mandolin

and when I was playing everyday I did composition and arranging
>>
accordion, hurdy gurdy
>>
I play bass because I am a beta faggot.

I can play like four chords on guitar so I could be a rock guitarist I guess.
>>
I used to play euphonium and trumpet and did a year in drum corps with a Mellophone but I quit after hs. I've been wanting to learn how to play keys though, I have an old Korg I got for free and I really miss playing music. After 5 years of deep depression I realized it was one of the things thag made me truly happy
>>
>>65380925
I'm pretty much the same minus drums
My biggest hurdle is that I don't like how my instruments fell but I can't find someone to set them up just right. The last time I tried to get someone to sort out the action on my guitar he didn't check the intonation so about half of my guitar was out of tune no matter what I did, eventually I got it fixed but the action still wasn't to my liking.
>>
Guitar, bass, djembe, and no-input feedback loops senpai
>>
Been playing piano since I was a little kid, in the last two years been learning a lot of jazz stuff and drifting away from the classical side.

Also have a banjo that's fun to just get bluegrassy with, but it's more of a toy than an instrument since I pretty much just play the same two dozen bluegrass songs and have never tried to improve.

I played cello back in middle and high school

>tfw I'm too poor to afford one + lessons even though I loved it

I've got a shitty low end violin that I should probably start learning at some point.
>>
Guitar, bass, piano, uke, trumpet, melodica, recorder, harmonicae, used to play violin
>>
>>65383614
I always (well for like 5 years) wanted to learn to play viola
it's such a wierd instrument, but it looks similar to other stuff in the cello family
>>
Piano, drums, violin, guitar, bass, ukulele, alto saxophone, im starting to learn viola
>>
>>65378219
I played the recorder in 4th grade
>>
The skinflute
>>
>>65383235

Hi scaruffi
>>
>>65378219
Guitar, cello and a little bit of piano. Musically illiterate though since im self taught. Understand theory however
>>
File: IMGP9930 - Version 2.jpg (2 MB, 3925x2616) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9930 - Version 2.jpg
2 MB, 3925x2616
Took lessons on trumpet, guitar, and keys. Also used to have a drumkit and dabbled in that, play some bass and tin whistle too
>>
Upright and electric bass. I can also play piano if I have to but I'm not a huge fan of it.
>>
drums mostly. a bit of bass. im going to start learning guitar now.
>>
>>65378219
Guitar (who doesn't), bowed guitar (not a totally different instrument but whatever, piano, harp, flute (sort of), hurdy-gurdy (poorly), and I think I touched a theremin once.
>>
Have been in several choirs, play tuba, trumpet, e guitar, acoustic guitar, piano.

Why?
>>
Started out with experimental stuff, then learned to play guitar, sing, and produce my own albums, I can play bass too.

I had keyboards long before I owned a guitar, but I never really did anything with them before I lost them.
>>
>>65386487
>experimental stuff
what do you mean by this in terms of musical instruments? like, you screamed into teapots and banged wrenches together or something?
>>
>>65378219
Bass guitar and keyboard
>>
File: 1459021127345.gif (984 KB, 252x276) Image search: [Google]
1459021127345.gif
984 KB, 252x276
>>65386610
>>
>>65386610
I mean tape collage stuff or things made with recordings spliced together.

Any sound is an instrument if you use it as one.
>>
>>65387011
true dat. i made this when i was first learning to use pro tools. my later work isn't as fun.

https://clyp.it/gejxy2kd
>>
>>65378895
shut the fuck up god damn
>>
Violin for 10 years
>>
>>65387316
Cool beans. I would love to play the viol or violincello
>>
Yeah, bass guitar. Been playing since I was 9. I'm 31 now and I think I'm pretty good and not cringe at all.
>>
>>65387120
There's over 10 hours between my last post and yours, what's your point?
>>
>>65378219
drums, guitar and bass. I doubt the majority of /mu/ plays any sort of instrument
>>
>>65378219
Cello, guitar, piano

Pretty much anything desu, but I was schooled mainly for Cello.
>>
I play all instruments.
Like hand me an instrument. I'll make a sound with it.
>>
File: 19.png (17 KB, 366x600) Image search: [Google]
19.png
17 KB, 366x600
>>65387861
bravo
>>
Played the trumpet for 8 years, would like to get back in to that. My main instrument is the guitar which I taught myself and have been playing just about every day for the past 5 years. I also sing but have no training whatsoever in. I dabble in the drums but again have no idea what I'm doing. I played the violin and taught myself up to grade 2 piano when I was a kiddo but have since forgotten both instruments however I would like to relearn them.
>>
>>65378219
alto sax baby
>>
>>65389291
same here, probably a lot better than you tho
>>
>>65389405
probably i dont play too much anymore but when i do all i do is improvise shit
>>
>>65389405
rude
>>
>>65389771
Nice, do you generally sight-read or practice any written music?

I'm a lot better at classical sax than jazz sax.
>>65389842
git gud fgt
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.