[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Jethro Tull? Personally I love them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Jethro Tull Aqualung.jpg (442 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
Jethro Tull Aqualung.jpg
442 KB, 1425x1425
What does /mu/ think of Jethro Tull? Personally I love them. What are some other good classic/prog rock albums (aside from the obvious) that are similar?
>>
I got into prog with Rush. Then listened to King Crimson and Yes. I expected I'd like Jethro Tull.

The problem is, Aqualung sounds pretty common for its time. Good Cream-style blues rock with added flute, but not that much more. Compared to King Crimson and Led Zep, it's simply irrelevant nowadays.

Thick as a Brick had great concept. The whole poem is simply amazing. And the music was almost up to part… But JT themselves admitted they had pre-written material only for a part of the album. The rest was improvised in the studio, and dare I say… It's shit. I like listening to 'jammy' bands like early Genesis, but JT was the first band to make me ANGRY (not kidding) while listening to their jams. Angry because they were low-quality filler.

So, in the end, maybe JT do have other albums I haven't heard of where they truly shine, but listening to their most famous works, I don't see any point in worshipping them, other than for the reason that they were at the right place in the right time and were hyped enough to sell tons of records. To me, they don't have enough substance, especially next to giants like King Crimson.
>>
>>65378291
Almost same. But I got prog first technically through Queen (the first five albums were considered prog) then Tool then King Crimson and so forth.

I got into Jethro Tull because of a comic here from the Philippines that mentioned them as a band that was the cartoonist wss introduced to as he compared it to new bands. So I did listened to their most famous album. And to be honest I onky like 4 songs of them. The rest seems don't have a wow factor. Just some flute flute.

I prefer bands with great drummers I guess.
>>
>>65378291
You might like their albums Heavy Horses and Stormwatch. They're different compared to their "most famous" albums. More rock-oriented and less flutes.
>>
>>65378291
wow your opinion on Thick as a Brick is shit, it's simply a wonderful album, and A Passion Play is even better.
>>
>>65378651
It's wonderful lyrically and, for the first part, musically. The second part is mostly bullshit until the final minutes.
>>
>>65378291
>Comparing King Crimson and Jethro Tull
>>
>>65378291
>irrelevant

What the fuck, seriously ? You people are so far up your ass.
>>
>>65377424
Not exactly similar, but my picks for essential prog albums:

Yes - Close to the Edge
ELP - Tarkus
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Genesis - Foxtrot
Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate (which is basically a VDGG album and also features Robert Fripp)
>>
File: Camel.jpg (216 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
Camel.jpg
216 KB, 500x492
Honestly, I think a lot of the prog I like is the 'plebbier' stuff like Aqualung. It's really just bluesy pop rock songs with some flute bits, but I love em.

You should check out Camel OP if you like JT's sense of melody
>>
I used to prefer TAAB, but I've fallen in love with Aqualung recently. It's just such a perfectly crafted album; Anderson's lyrics are divine and earthly at the same time and the interplay between the flute and acoustic guitar is just beautiful.
>>
>>65378967
this is exactly why you're a pleb, the second part has lowest lows but higher highs, its best points are incredible.
>>
Theyre ok
>>
>>65381960
I agree, but that's the point: it's very, very uneven. This is made especially inconvenient because the whole record is basically 1 whole musical piece. It has high moments, followed by godawful moments.

Also, yep, I'm a total pleb for criticizing US Billboard #1 album which was certified gold the year of its release. Totally, dude! There's no bias in people's judgement. Like, at all.
>>
>>65383820
you're a pleb because it's a thoughtful interesting composition with ingeniously crafted orchestration and a very high level of musicianship and if you can't see that you lack the musical analysis tools to accurately understand what is good and bad about a piece of music.
>>
>>65384345
> Anderson had not finished writing the suite, so he got up early each morning to prepare material for the rest of the band to learn that day.[6] Recording started in December 1971 at Morgan Studios in London.[5] Unlike previous albums, where Anderson had generally written songs in advance, only the initial section of the album had been worked out when the band went to record it. The remainder of the suite was pieced together in the studio.[7] Anderson recalls the album took about two weeks to record and other two or three for overdubs and mixing.[5] Guitarist Martin Barre remembers the whole band coming up with various ideas for the music,[3] and that some parts were recorded in a single take,[8] with every band member having important inputs into the music, with considerable contributions from keyboardist John Evan.

Yeah, tell me more please.

The lyrics on the album are some of the best ever written. The first part of the record is great, with good composition and interplay. The rest is very uneven, has a very weak structure and was obviously improvised.

If the whole record was like the first part, I'd put it up there with greatest in the genre. Alas, it isn't. For me it's not worth it to listen to 20 minutes of boring improv filler after the great opening.
>>
File: steve.jpg (260 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
steve.jpg
260 KB, 1200x800
>>65377424
friendly reminder that regardless of what you think of his music, the steven wilson mix is objectively the best version of this album
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.