[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >not listening to country rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: sweetheart.jpg (19 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
sweetheart.jpg
19 KB, 225x225
>2016
>not listening to country rock
>>
not even in their top 5

younger than yesterday>notorious byrd bros>5th dimension>mr tambourine man>turn turn turn>>sweetheart of the rodeo>>untitled>>>>the rest
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxzV5XoLpto

this song is awesome, as well as "you ain't goin nowhere"
>>
>>65375540
Untitled is great and Farther Along has some gems

>dat Farther Along with Clarence White on lead vocals
>>
>>65375497
I prefer to keep my country and rock as separate as I can
>>
>>65375540
wow, terrible.
>>
File: skipbattin.jpg (48 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
skipbattin.jpg
48 KB, 354x500
What's your opinion on Skip Battin?
>>
File: AS-NCB.jpg (56 KB, 485x484) Image search: [Google]
AS-NCB.jpg
56 KB, 485x484
What's your current Country-Rock AOTY boys?

Mine is either pic related or the recent Sturgill Simpson. New City Blues kicks more ass but Sailor's Guide is more substantial.
>>
>>65375653
this dude was very sexy and a great bass player
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 928x902) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 928x902
>>65375838
I second Sturgil Stimpson, he's the only true artist in current country music imo. As far as country rock goes, I don't think it ever really got better than this:
>>
>>65376090
The Band was great

My favorite part was Garth Hudson's screaming organ riffs, as well as Levon Helm's signature voice
>>
File: CWHuIDBU4AECYuT.jpg (63 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
CWHuIDBU4AECYuT.jpg
63 KB, 600x589
>>65376090
Sturgill's great and Sailor's Guide was quite good but he's not the only artist in Country music. Lucinda William's Ghosts album from February has it all over Sailor's Guide artistically, due in no small part to Bill Frissell and Greg Leisz's dueling guitar work, making Ghosts the first true guitar album of 2016. I'd rank their guitar interplay right up there with Corgan and Iha's live Pumpkin's guitar duels from the '90's. Frissell in the right channel and Leisz in the Left on every track, bringing Lu's basic songs to life with Jazzy flourishes. Not much Rocking on this album though but once again she's blazing new trails in Country Jazz at the ripe old age of 63. The woman is a force of nature. And she had enough songs leftover for a third album after releasing 2 double albums in 3 years, back to back. Sturgill's got some catching up to do if he plans to reach that level.

Sailor's Guide was a little underwhelming. I mean how could it not be? Following up Met-Modern Sounds is a losing game, that album is so brilliant. He's definitely on his way though. Taking time out to have a panic attack of an album about raising a kid in this day and age is understandable. Fatherhood changes everything. Idk if i see him becoming a regular fixture of the Alt Country scene like say Steve Earle or Patty Griffin, releasing regularly and consistently but, again, we'll see. Depending on how hands on he plans to be as a father, we could be looking at long waits between records.

As for the Band, I've only ever dug their work with Dylan. I heard the Levon Helm tribute album that Bill Frissell and Lu were a part of. Also heard the last Robbie Robertson album, thought it was a nice set of Art Country.

Any discussion about Country Rock should include the Stones though. They might not have perfected the genre but their Country flavored stuff certainly brought a lot of attention to the scene.
>>
Slightly related to this thread, I just finished watching Easy Riders. Those shots of Captain America and whatshisname riding along nature are something else man.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.