[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't listened any of Frank Zappa's music at all.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: frank-zappa-sheik-yerbouti.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
frank-zappa-sheik-yerbouti.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
I haven't listened any of Frank Zappa's music at all. Where should I start? His discography is huge.
>>
>>65361713
Toxicity was pretty good
>>
Freak Out! Or Hot Rats
>>
File: Frank_zappa_flowchart_2.png (2 MB, 1750x2795) Image search: [Google]
Frank_zappa_flowchart_2.png
2 MB, 1750x2795
>>65361713
here ya go friend :)
>>
Listen to We're Only In It For The Money, and Freak Out
>>
Sheik Yerbouti is really well loved for some reason, although I don't get the hype

/mu/ will recommend the early Mothers albums because they're pretentious tryhards

For pure jamming out, I would tell you to focus on his live albums: Zappa in New York and Roxy & Elsewhere
>>
1) Download greatest hits
2) Find songs you liked the most
3) Look up the albums that your fave tracks come from

>>65361759
this is good too
>>
Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, We're Only In It for the Money + Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and The Grand Wazoo

Then go to Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka for early solo stuff.
>>
>>65361766
this, these are his best 2 along with hot rats
>>
If you're just starting out, you won't be ready for the weirdness yet, so stick with his commercially viable.

Hot Rats
Overnight Sensation
Apostrophe
Sheik Yerbuti
Joe's Garage (ALL of them)
You Are What You Is
Man From Utopia
Broadway The Hard Way
any of the Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar albums.

After you've listened to those then move on to Frank Zappa vs The Mothers of Prevention to help you comfortably slip into the weirdness. I'm sure people will say my introductory list is shit, and advise that you dive head first into the weirdness, but I wouldn't recommend that. (Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to recommend Lather)
>>
>>65361759
The flow chart is a good guide map for the beginner.
>>
>>65361800
>1) Download greatest hits
>for Frank Zappa

Otherwise you are right.
>>
>>65361994
Hot Rats and Joe's Garage are probably the two best starters but otherwise this is basically a list of his least interesting and albums

As far as I'm concerned his live output is the best, check out The Torture Never Stops (1981) Does Humour Belong in Music? (1984)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.