[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question: Has there ever been a popular band with more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: led zeppelin.jpg (41 KB, 546x349) Image search: [Google]
led zeppelin.jpg
41 KB, 546x349
Serious question: Has there ever been a popular band with more confirmed plagiarized songs than Led Zeppelin?
>>
>>65346199
No.

Led Zep is literally the "hey lets rip off poor black blues people lmao" the band
>>
>>65346199
>>65346232

First time I've heard of this,

I dont really care about led zeppelin, and thats not about to change, but im interested in the story. background?
>>
Any folk, blues, jazz, or hip-hop artist.
>>
>>65346199
they stole a lot, but they created more
>>
>>65346273
Basically they took a bunch of blues songs recorded in the 1920s and 1930s by poor black people in the south and re-recorded them as blues rock songs without giving any credit.
>>
>>65346273
I've heard that they apparently ripped off Stairway to Heaven from some other band they were touring with called Taurus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

I haven't heard about them stealing anything other than that specific song though.
>>
>>65346273
look it up, they were accused of ripping people off MANY times, and most weren't exaggerations either, it was mostly during their earlier albums though

It's so weird to, that band's lineup was like a fucking superband, every member was amazing and innovative at their instrument, yet they frequently plagiarized
>>
>>65346199
They borrowed the saw way rap and hip hop borrows by sampling. Everything they borrowed that added to and made it actually something people wanted to hear and spend money on to possess.
>>
>>65346273

Long story short led zeppelin stole a fuckload of songs, and not obscure ones, their best songs are stolen. Stairway to heaven was stolen from a band called spirit, which led zeppelin used to open for before they were famous.

>>65346330

popular?

>>65346364

about 40% of their songs are stolen. And not only that, but its their BEST material. Most of their original songs are absolute shit. And they honestly plagiarized so much, we dont even know the complete list.
>>
>>65346418
That ones a reach though IMO, same absic melody, but Stairway to Heaven is something else, way more than that basic progression

Dazed and Confused however...
>>
>>65346418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc
>>
>>65346232
>>65346273
>>65346391
Some of there best examples of plagiarism involved white artists that they toured with (Spirit, Jake Holmes; Stairway to Heaven and Dazed and Confused respectively) but yeah lots of stolen blues
>>
>>65346391
>>65346418
>>65346448
>>65346453
>>65346462

Whats the actual number of stolen songs? Also how the hell did they managed to keep going? wouldnt they have been sitting ducks for lawsuits?
>>
>>65346418
the band was called spirit
>>
>>65346518
>>65346533
I have no idea about the actual number but besides the obviously not directly ripped songs they were directly influenced by American blues artists from the south pretty heavily.
I know there was one lawsuit that LZ lost. Nobody cared about the ripping until recently due to social norms and shit. It may sound "bad" but nobody cared about a black guy making lo-fi blues in the 20's until recently when they became "folkways" into southern history.
>>
>led zeppelin stole so many songs
>were never called out for it and now some nobody band is trying to claim they were a victim
This is dumb. If they really did, how did they get past two albums?
>>
>>65346533
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Led_Zeppelin_songs_written_or_inspired_by_others
>>
>>65346533

The actual list was at about 35-40 last time I checked, but

Honestly? Nobody fucking knows, thats the most hillarious part.

They stole from extremely obscure/underground blues clubs, so a lot of the guys they stole from weren't even an official band, they had no original records. For all we know, all of led zeppelin's songs could be stolen from someone else.

Robert plant admitted that him and page would go into underground blues clubs to scout for songs to "borrow", they're confident that it wasn't plagiarizing because page would add a riff or two.

The song "whole lotta love" is an example of this.

And I believe that Spirit sued them like a month ago for stairway to heaven, no idea how that ended up.

Page's solo career has also been plagued by plagiarized songs, he has been in court about 20 times regarding the issue
>>
>>65346232

>muh cultural appropriation

Taking a random blues song from the 30s and turning into a fuzz fueled freakout in the 60s are two completely different things.

Listen to Robert Johnson's Crossroads and then listen to Cream's version.
They're literally two different songs.

I'm not even that big of a Zeppelin fan, but you have to be edgy as fuck to not realize how innovative they were musically.
>>
>>65346273

Just wanna put it out there that yes, Led Zepp lifted heaps of material without crediting or paying the source, but that is 100% a shitty evil business decision by them, doesn't make the band suck.
If every song had been credited by them as a cover from the start, they would simply be regarded as some of the most legendary, re-imagined, stylistically groundbreaking covers ever done.
People don't think Jimi Hendrix sucks because he didn't write Hey Joe or All Along The Watchtower.
The fact that they ripped those songs off makes them shitty people and immoral, cut throat businessmen yes, but fuck man we already knew that their manager used to dangle people off balconies and have people beaten and shit for fucks sake.
Also, a whole list of some of their best music was completely written by them, it was more in the early days when it was all blues rock they just ripped off old blues artists. And anyway, half of those songs the "ripping off" is just Robert Plant stealing some generic lyric "Baby you need coolin', Im gonna send ya back to schoolin'" or Jimmy Page doing a mega fuzzed, stylised version of an old blues lick or a chord progression or something. Hardly invalidates the tracks to me.
>>
Depends on what you count as plagiarized. A significant portion of Dylan's songs have lyrics directly out of other songs, prose, poems, scripts etc.
>>
Good for them tbqhwy
>>
>>65346720
It's not appropriation, it's not giving writing credits. That's pretty fucking pathetic.
>>
>tfw it still hasn't been posted
/mu/ really has changed
>>
>>65346747

As a musician, I just cant respect bands that do this.

I dont listen to LZ as some sort of personal prohibition. I wouldn't like some faggots stealing my songs without ever giving me any credit.

Also, I'll have to refute a point:

Unlike Hendrix, who had a LOT of extremely good, original material, LZ original material isnt even close to the songs that they...uhm..."wrote under inspiration".
>>
>>65346720

This. If you take some obscure, voice and acoustic guitar scratchy old blues record and start performing it as a 20 minute screaming psychedelic fuzzed out blues odyssey with heaps of original riffs and innovative shit thrown in, record it with groundbreaking studio effects for the time and GOAT level performances from every member of the band, I hardly think that when it comes out that you didn't credit the original source material that suddenly means the band sucks and that recording is musically worthless.
>>
>muh innovative hard rock pioneers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pYjcoXG5
>>
>>65346652
Jake Holmes asked for Led Zepplin to give him writing credit as soon as the album came out, they never did until recently when they lost a lawsuit
the same goes for many other LZ plagiarism cases
>>
>>65346946
>this video does not exist
Thanks for the link anon
>>
just so you know. The actual creator of Taurus never was willing to pursue copyright infringement. He died and his family members were who brought the lawsuit forward. Below is from the Time magazinnne article.

"Back in May, family members of Spirit frontman Randy Craig Wolfe (a.k.a Randy California) filed the suit against Zeppelin, seeking monetary damages and a writing credit for the now-deceased Wolfe, "
>>
>>65346972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pYjcoXG5c
>>
>>65346937
Never heard the term "fuzz" or anyone using it until today, samefag
>>
>>65346977
And just so you know, Zeppelin's already lost the first part of the case.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/12/473949561/stairway-to-heaven-plagiarism-suit-against-led-zeppelin-is-cleared-for-jury-tria
>>65347046
>Never heard the term "fuzz" or anyone using it until today,
What the fuck are you doing on a music board.
>>
>>65347046
>>
This is shit.

On one hand I want to completely renounce my admiration for Zeppelin because of this shit.

But on the other there are plenty of famous songs and famous artists that didn't write everything of theirs completely.
>>
>>65347077
I know. Its a money grab by Randy's family members. He had to die before this suit could be brought forward because he blatantly refused to make an issue of it.
>>
>>65346902

>Unlike Hendrix, who had a LOT of extremely good, original material, LZ original material isnt even close to the songs that they...uhm..."wrote under inspiration"

I'd have to disagree there. As far as I know (and if I'm wrong on any of these, please correct me) they wrote No Quarter, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, Ramble On, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, Immigrant Song, Going To California. . . . for me thats like a list of some of their best stuff right there. It was the blues rock jams like Whole Lotta Love, Bring It On Home, Black Dog ect. that they stole. . . and to me those tunes wouldn't be the pinnacle of their work, creatively, even if they did write them.
>>
Just in case anon isn't trolling about fuzz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)
>Fuzz is a term used to describe a particular form of distortion, originally created by guitarists using faulty equipment (such as a misaligned valve tube, see below), which has been emulated since the 1960s by a number of "fuzzbox" effects pedals.
>>
Led Zepplin is a band with literally no talent whatsoever. That they have ascended to such lofty realms of praise in spite of this qualifies them as the greatest hacks in the history of popular recorded music.
>>
>>65347137

But Led zeppelin did it a lot, a fucking lot.

I know that a bunch of artists stole songs, but most of them stole 1 or 2 at most, very few artists actually go out of their way to steal over 30 songs.

and thats just LZ, individual band members have been accused of plagiarizing SEVERAL TIMES during their solo careers.

>>65347165

Its a fair money grab. I'd really like for the band to fall from grace one day. That they stop being recognized as "one of the best bands in the history of rock music" and instead become "the band that stole a fuckload of songs and got away with it for decades"
>>
>>65347046

That's probably because you are barely a fucking music fan. What kind of person who talks about music and reads about music has never heard the term fuzz. Also, I wasn't samefag as the post I was replying to, this was me>>65346937
and this was me >>65346747
>>
>>65347320
>Led zeppelin did it a lot
I don't want to believe this. I really don't.
>>
Boogie metal hacks who became decent after a few albums.
>>
>>65347265

>Jimmy Page literally single handedly changed how we look at studio techniques
>innovated multitracking, reverb, etc.

>no talent
>>
>>65347320
>ts a fair money grab

It still went against the wishes of the actual creator of the riff in question. The riff is a very small part of the overall song anyway. Its just the opening chord progression.
>>
You know, it was pretty common practice in the day for blues musicians to steal lyrics from each other. Robert Johnson's discography has more plagiarism percentage wise than any one album by Led Zeppelin.
>>
>>65346330
This.

>but dey dindu nuffin
>>
>>65347427
it's a little different when there's multimillion dollar recording contracts involved
>>
>>65347368

Trust me, you're better off accepting it sooner than later. I used to be a huge Led zepp fan, and I tried to deny this shit when it was first brought up to me. Hell I'd even go for that extremely shitty damage control "THE GUYS THEY STOLE FROM SHOULD BE GRATEFUL!"

Until I grew up, and realized how dumb that was. Some people just dont deserve recognition and praise.
>>
>>65347565
Well, do you know where Good Times Bad Times, Black Dog or Battle of Evermore originally came from? Wouldn't mind hearing the originals of those. Unless they actually wrote those.
>>
File: 217_pxndx11.jpg (33 KB, 478x393) Image search: [Google]
217_pxndx11.jpg
33 KB, 478x393
>>65346199

To answer OPs question.

I dont really know about how many songs LZ stole, but this mexican band, "panda" (really popular in latinamerica during the late 90s and early 2000s) stole a FUCKLOAD of songs, their first 3 albums are literally 95% stolen songs, 5% original material (Which sucked)

They have a song that is literally a direct translation from some my chemical romance shit
>>
>>65347635

Read this >>65346658, its a list of their KNOWN plagiarized songs, a lot more are debated and its almost a fact that they stole many more.

But if im not mistaken, black dog is original
>>
>>65347654

>Mexicans are only good at stealing

Who would have thunk it!
>>
>>65347654

Fuck these guys.

They released a song that basically said those who critizised them were only jealous of their fame.
>>
>>65347718
Fucking Whole Lotta Love. God damn.
I still don't want to believe it. But it's looking me in the fucking face.
>>
lol who gives a fuck if lz copied a couple songs you virgins
>>
>>65347922

Like I said, its better to embrace it. you dont want to look like this guy >>65348011
>>
>>65348152

t. fag
>>
>>65347654
>>65347806
what about Mana? aren't their riffs always inspired by other bands?
>>
>>65348204

I dont listen to mana, but dont those guys change their style all the time?
>>
>>65346418
>In May 2014, an attorney hired by Randy California's estate announced plans to file a copyright infringement suit that will seek a co-writing credit for California on "Stairway to Heaven."[4][5] In April 2016, district judge Gary Klausner ruled that there were sufficient similarities between the songs that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (who is credited as co-writer of "Stairway to Heaven") would stand trial by jury for copyright infringement. The trial is scheduled to start on May 10, 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_%28instrumental%29
>>
>>65347414
the only thing they innovated was Les Paul and Marshall stacks
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.