[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw people say the Beatles weren't a great band. To
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13
File: image.gif (525 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
525 KB, 500x268
>mfw people say the Beatles weren't a great band.
To all plebeian contrarians. If you deny the greatness of the Beatles, you deny yourself as someone who appreciates music.
Also, what's your favourite Beatles album?
>>
i just don't like their music.

i don't make any judgement on whether they were great or influential because i can't; i don't like their music.
>>
>>65344722
top pleb, you may as well just end it all now
>>
>>65344758
why are you so scared of people not liking the same things as you?
>>
File: 1426564860443.jpg (143 KB, 833x696) Image search: [Google]
1426564860443.jpg
143 KB, 833x696
>>65344758
>stop disliking what i like!

you're under 20 years old, right?
>>
>>65344611
you will fit better at this place: /r/beatles trust me

we don't take kindly to folks that likes the beatles around here
>>
>>65344840
>we
Speak for yourself, fucker.
>>
>>65344758
this is why people don't like beatles fan: they act like they're some higher force which cannot be questioned
>>
File: Piero_Scaruffi_2[1].jpg (32 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
Piero_Scaruffi_2[1].jpg
32 KB, 600x586
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.
>>
>>65344914
PIERO DOES IT AGAIN
BEATLEMANIACS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>65344879

/mu/ is into the beach boys, if you don't like them: /r/beatles as well.
>>
>>65345072
OF COURSE, I like The Beach Boys. Even more than The Beatles.
>>
>>65344611
I don't like the Beatle's music, but I have high respect for them. People really overstate how musically influential they were. They were way more influential as far as how bands conducted themselves, albums were released, recording techniques, etc. The music world would look entirely different without the Beatles, and if you deny that, you're just fucking wrong.
>>
why does /mu/ hate the beatles when they like worse, inferior versions like tame impala
>>
>>65345359
It's nothing but contrarianism. If the Beatles weren't as popular, they'd be /mu/core for sure.
>>
File: um6ijro.jpg (660 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
um6ijro.jpg
660 KB, 3192x2124
>>65345423
>implying everyone likes /newfag/core
>>
>>65345588
Show me where I implied, bitch.
>>
>>65345685
where you said not liking the beatles is contrarianism (negative) and if they weren't popular they would be /mu/core (positive based on context)

/mu/core is MEME music. it's a trap devised for newfags so we can spot them easier. it's not something you should be proud of listening to or want things to be classified as.
>>
>>65345774
Aha, but the comment I replied to mentioned Tame Impala which is /mu/core, like it or not.
Like, I give two hoots about Animal Collective, Kid A, or MBDTF anyway. I've already established /mu/core is /pleb/core. Also stop acting like you're fucking grown, I bet you talk about 4chan in public.
>>
>>65346029
>gets mad when someone says they don't like what you like
>poster earlier says you're probably under 20 years old
>doesn't respond because it's true
>waits a few posts
>repurposes the insult to negate the negative feelings you're now experiencing from being a newfag youngfag redditurd
okay kid
>>
>>65346111
Kek
>>65344758 isn't even me.
>>
File: Wings.jpg (485 KB, 966x814) Image search: [Google]
Wings.jpg
485 KB, 966x814
How old were you when you realized that Wings were better than the Beatles?
>>
>>65345313
>They were way more influential as far as how bands conducted themselves, albums were released, recording techniques, etc.
That's true, and I think when people "overstate" the importance of The Beatles to music in general, they are eliding those things into "musical influence" even though they are really matters of production.

But don't undersell their actual artistic achievement. They never released a "perfect" album, and they began to fall apart before they ever really reached the peak of what they were heading for, but they were still truly great.
>>
They were by far the most influential band of all time, and every musician that's pushed the boundaries of the music industry owes them a debt of showing it could be done.
>>
>>65346111
I fucking hate this board.
>>
>>65345774
>/mu/core is MEME music. it's a trap devised for newfags so we can spot them easier.
There is no "we" and you certainly never "devised" anything in your life.

So you think there is really a cabal of internet tricksters (and you count yourself a member of this no less) who secretly got together and decided they were going to pretend to like a few specific pieces of broadly "indie" music?

Such bullshit man. /mu/core is "meme music" in the sense that signals in-group knowledge, and it's true that making a big deal about it is a useful red flag for identifying losers, but it's not like "being obsessed with ITAOTS" isn't also a "meme" outside of /mu/. What you call "/mu/core" music is just the stuff that has a perfect storm of fans, haters, popularity, and controversy. It has to be well known enough for a lot of people to want to argue with each other it, not so well known that there is nothing more to say (e.g. The Beatles), but well-hated enough for their to be anything to argue about in the first place.
>>
>>65344914
Damn. Really makes you think
>>
>>65347085
cant tell if b8ing or summerfag not knowing the scruffy beetles pasta
>>
>>65347120
I envy you for not knowing the horrors of /pol/
>>
The Beach Boys had higher highs but lower lows. Also their voices and harmonies were at least 100x better than the Beatles.
>>
I get that people have different tastes to mine and all that, but I do sometimes find it hard to believe someone who says they flat out don't like the music of The Beatles. There is something in there for everyone, across the entire spectrum. From heavy rock to mellow acoustic pieces to blues to piano ballads to Indian music. Paul, John and George were all vastly different types of songwriters too.

I challenge anyone to truthfully say they do not like a single song out of the following list:

>I Want You (She's So Heavy)
>Girl
>Penny Lane
>Paperback Writer
>Within You Without You
>Helter Skelter
>Hey Jude
>Taxman
>Strawberry Fields Forever
>Twist and Shout
>A Day in the Life
>>
>>65347628
Agreed.
>>
File: beatles_sgt_pepper[1].jpg (70 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
beatles_sgt_pepper[1].jpg
70 KB, 500x250
Today is Sgt. Pepper's 49th anniversary. That's my favorite Beatles album. Next year there will be a shitstorm about the 50th and probably some sort of reissued-remastered-deluxe-edition job by the label.

I still think Strawberry Fields + Penny Lane should have been put on side 2 and Within You Without You taken off. Then it would really be perfect.
>>
My favourite is the White Album. Such a chaotic, unhinged, unpredictable mess, but I absolutely love it. Home to so many of their most underrated tracks, like Rocky Raccoon, Yer Blues and Savoy Truffle. And of course then you have the likes of Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, USSR, While My Guitar, etc. The likes of Revolution 9 make me love it even more for some reason. I guess it lifts the other stuff.
>>
>>65347628
I don't like Twist and Shout. Honestly. I also think that Within You Without You is George's weakest Indian flavored song.
>>
>>65344840
>falling for the scaruffi meme
>>
>>65348460
Fair enough, but what I meant by that poorly worded post was I challenge anyone to look at that list and claim to dislike every song on it.
>>
>>65348460
Anon meant one of the following. You have to like at least ONE. Of course you won't like all their songs.
>>
>>65348512
Oh shit, hell no. I just wouldve added a lot more McCartney songs.
>>
>>65344611
People don't like their music because it's "generic run of the mill pop rock music"

What people fail to realize, is that the Beatles created "generic run of the mill pop rock music". For their time, they were pushing boundaries and innovating. They did it all. Which is why today, though they inspired and influenced thousands of musical acts all over the world, plebs will write them off as "boring" and "not innovative" or "willing to take risk" or just "bland". Of course they seem "bland" by todays standards but without them, the natural progression of rock and pop music would have been completely and utterly different. Imagine a world where there was no Sgt. Pepper's, and instead, SMiLE came to be.

How different would music be?
>>
>>65344840
>we don't take kindly to folks that likes the beatles around here
lol
>>
>>65348530
Yeah, this.

>>65348543
My list of favourites would be dominated by McCartney, he's easily my favourite Beatle. I was just trying to represent the diversity of their catalogue.
>>
>Beatle I'd want to marry the most
George
>Best Beatle
George
>Beatle I can relate to the most
Ringo
>Best songs
Paul
>Most talented out of the 4
John
>Biggest asshole if the group?
John
>>
File: Paul McCartney.jpg (48 KB, 404x480) Image search: [Google]
Paul McCartney.jpg
48 KB, 404x480
>>65348640
>Best Beatle
Paul
>Beatle I can relate to the most
Paul
>Best songs
Paul
>Most talented out of the 4
Paul
>Biggest asshole if the group?
Paul
>>
>>65348640
Best Beatle and most talented is Paul. Otherwise a solid list. John Lennon was a prick most of the time, his death just made him into some kind of saint-like martyr. I say this as an enormous fan of the guy. Ringo always seems the most genuine to me.
>>
>>65348570
kek
>>
>>65348681
Paul please. You've been dead for 50 years.
>>
>>65348832
Replacement > original
>>
>>65344840
Probably bait, but there's another thread right now where people are listing their 5 favourite artists, and about a third have included The Beatles.
>>
>>65348640
Exactly right. Personally I don't really prefer Paul's stuff, but his songs deserve most of the credit for the cult of the Beatles.

>>65348706
So, so, wrong.
>>
File: Cover-shoot-for-Sgt-Pepper-2.jpg (153 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
Cover-shoot-for-Sgt-Pepper-2.jpg
153 KB, 576x576
>>65346496
>They never released a "perfect" album
nigga what
>>
>>65347628
okay, wiseacre, i'll give it a go

>nope
>nope
>nope
>no
>nope
>nuh uh
>nope
>nope
>no
>nope
>damn it
>>
>>65350231
I'm saying Sgt Peppers is truly a praiseworthy artistic work, but everyone is not obligated bow down and worship the Beatles because of it.
>>
>>65348424
>Beatles
>Chaotic
pick one
>>
>>65346029
>Tame Impala which is /mu/core
(not true by the way)
>>
>>65344914
well if nobody has heard an act how can we put them on that pedestal.

>significant or most influential
if you never heard a Beatles song please post

Not to mention Beethoven was backed with the cash to make his ideas real. He was the tutor of the rich.

Peiro rocks the Cpt.Obvious
>>
>>65346751
/mu/ are mostly newfags

Sometimes I want to pretend that OP was in candlestick park and then pressured to throw his beatles lunchbox into a giant bonfire
>>
File: image.png (89 KB, 250x204) Image search: [Google]
image.png
89 KB, 250x204
>>65351367
>>
>>65344914
the reason they're looking for a new roommate is because piero drove the last guy out with his eccentric behaviour. I know the last tenant through friends of friends.

apparently scruffy was always labelling things - not his own things like his food or anything, but almost every item he could find. a lamp would have a sticky note on it saying '6/10 - illuminates corner of room well but does nothing to advance what lamps have been doing for at least 100 years. Pleasing glow but repetitive'. he'd also wake everyone in the house up at 6am sharp to partake in a hike of the hills around the house. he'd carry nuts and water in his backpack but only allow the others to eat or drink if they correctly answered prog rock trivia (of which the answers were all his opinions).

he once caught my friend whistling the opening melody to hey jude and for the next three days he had restricted access to the food in the kitchen. he was allowed bread, rice, pasta and potatoes but was entirely banned from any seasonings or sauces. scaruffi said it was because he 'seemed to be happy living without taste so far, so why not carry on that way'
>>
>>65352131
FUCKING KEK
>>
File: 1463218215255.gif (3 MB, 408x218) Image search: [Google]
1463218215255.gif
3 MB, 408x218
>>65346190
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 340x226) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 340x226
>>65352131
>scaruffi said it was because he 'seemed to be happy living without taste so far, so why not carry on that way'
>>
>>65346572
this is like saying all great filmmakers from here on out are indebted to the Marvel movies. The Beatles never actually didn't anything new or groundbreaking, they just vaguely kept up with trends and shipped ridiculous amounts of records.
>>
File: RAM.jpg (936 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
RAM.jpg
936 KB, 800x800
>>65348640
best beatle is the one who recorded this bad boy
>>
>>65353123
quite possibly the most retarded analogy i've ever seen get your head checked retard
>>
>>65353128
Thiss
>>
>>65353123
>comparing the Beatles to Marvel films
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>65353123
First sentence was fucking retarded but you're spot on with the second part. All they ever did was take experimental/groundbreaking shit and water it down for mass consumption.
>>
File: 50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg (12 KB, 200x219) Image search: [Google]
50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg
12 KB, 200x219
>>65356526
why anyone cant have creative opinions that question known limits of comparison anymore without having their sanity or intelligence questioned? this if any line of thought is degenerate.
>>
Sgt. Peppers.
>>
>>65344611
hating the beatles is pleb level contrarian. fedora neckbearding at its finest.
>>
>>65356777
Because Marvel capecore recent whereas The Beatles have been influencing generations upon generation. They were the first pop-band that was mass consumed and absolutely rocked the world, culturally. Everyone knew about the Beatles. >>65356758
Also they did push boundaries listen to Sgt Pepper. Even when they were experimenting with Indian sounds, that was so alien and foreign at the time.
>>
>>65348551
Smile would have been the better album I imagine, but since it kind of went for the same thing, I imagine that music would have developed in a very similar way. Other musicians were more influential to the development of rock music than the Beatles. Number of people influenced =/= greatest influence. They innovated within the realm of pop music by bringing ideas outside of pop music into pop music. Lots of people don't realize how much credit George Martin deserves either.

Plebs do write them off as "boring", "not innovative", or "willing to take risks", but I think that's because even plebs are able to see that many others are less boring, more innovative, and willing to take greater risks.
>>
>>65357117
By the way, I love the Beatles, but none of their albums are consistently genius, even if they have genius songs on most of their albums.
>>
>>65344611
Not everyone lives in the past OP
>>
>>65350231
>Getting Better
>Fixing a Hole
>When I'm 64
>Good Morning, Good Morning

>this much filler
>""""perfect"""
>>
>>65344611
Abbey Road.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.