[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which one /mu/? http://www.strawpoll.me/10374174
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: tri.jpg (71 KB, 627x363) Image search: [Google]
tri.jpg
71 KB, 627x363
which one /mu/?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10374174
>>
Nick Drake > Elliott Smith >>>>> Jeff Buckley
>>
Tim Buckley
>>
Elliott Smith's voice is horrid
>>
Buckley is at a disadvantage. He only had one go at an album
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 878x814) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 878x814
>>65341139
>>
>>65341173
sad guys with acoustic guitars and bad voices hold a special place in my heart.
>>
>>65341139
this exactly
>>
>>65341173
can understand this opinion but personally disagree, i find it quite lovely

anyway quite obviously right
>>
>>65341101
tim buckley > nick drake >>>> elliott smith = jeff buckley
>>
File: 1464197002238.jpg (48 KB, 470x475) Image search: [Google]
1464197002238.jpg
48 KB, 470x475
>>65341207
>>
Voice - Jeff>Elliott>Nick
Guitar - Nick>Elliott>Jeff
Songwriting - Elliott>Nick>Jeff
>>
>>65341162
Correct. molly drake is the runner up.
>>
Nick Drake is easily the best and most original musician with Buckley at a good second place.

Elliott Smith's songs are just plain trivial and I'm convinced that his popularity is due to the "troubled artist" persona he's got.
>>
>>65341216
sames
>>
Jeff Buckley > Nick Drake > Elliott Smith
No one artist is much better than the other, though the gap between Nick Drake and Elliot Smith is more significant than the one between Buckley and Drake. I'd say Smith and Elliott are the more talented musicians, Buckley has easily the best voice, and Buckley has the best output on average, because his one studio album is fantastic.
>>
>>65341297
are you mental? or maybe you dont know shit about the music at all. Elliotts songwriting is on the same lvl with Lennons and McCartneys. Hes master of chord progressions.
>>
>>65341506
>Hes master of chord progressions.

How?
>>
jeff buckley doesn't even fucking compare. tim buckley is the best singer songwriter of all time
>>
>>65341531
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtRQyqBe1WI

thats more complex then anything from Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley.
>>
>>65341595
>thats more complex then anything from Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley.

How?
>>
>>65341739
If you keep saying How we will eventually get to the beggining of the universe.
Im guitarist and i gotta say Elliotts chord progressions are hard to play from technical side but also they hold a massive emotional load. Even without the lyrics...and Elliotts personality.
>>
>>65341847

All I'm asking is an explanation as to why they are complicated. I believe you that it might be hard to play, but music can be hard to play while being quite simple, compositionally.
>>
>>65341101
>Jeff
>not Tim
wtf
>>
>>65341847
You already asked him if he knew anything about music and he didn't respond he clearly doesn't. If he had even half a clue he wouldn't have to ask about Elliott.

Elliott has the most intricate understanding of melody in the 20th century. Fact.
>>
>>65341531
dude Christian Brothers, Southern Belle, Alameda, Pictures of Me, Tomorrow Tomorrow, Independence Day, Son of Sam, Everything Means Nothing to Me, I Better Be Quiet Now, Pretty Mary K, Strung Out Again, A Passing Feeling..... that's just off the top of my head

the dude shat out genius chord progressions profusely
>>
>>65341890
Well then it all comes down to our personal preferences.
>>
>>65341943
well the others had to have fair competition after all
>>65341959
wew
>>
>>65341890
The chords that he puts together, and the derivations that he creates from seemingly simple chords, although they seem simple, require an incredible amount of knowledge of music theory to pull off, let alone to pull off well.
>>
>>65341890
FYI it's complicated because he structured the chords in such a way that the melody and the chords can be played simultaneously. Elliott did not do dubs in the studio very often. Watch live videos to see this. they sound exactly the the studio versions because he arranged his chords on the neck of the guitar so they could be played at the same time the melody was played.
>>
>>65341237
who is this and why is she so perfect?
>>
I wish Jeff was back, but Nick overall was better. I think Jeff could've had a better career tho
>>
>>65342000

How though? Use specific examples and be exact!

Pretned I'm a teacher and you're in a music class. So far you get an F because you're being vague.
>>
>>65342262
>How though? Use specific examples and be exact!
If you can't understand why Elliott Smith's music is extraordinarily complex for a singer/songwriter then you know absolutely nothing about music and it's not even worth explaining.
>>
>>65342294

Certainly if you did you would be able to enlighten dummy like me.
>>
>>65342262
See
>>65342137
Then reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ChIuwXp0g
@ 42:59
>>
>>65342329
The melodies and chord progressions work in interesting, unconventional ways that would be extremely arduous to write and pull off. You can hear this simply by listening. 99% of popular music uses extremely similar chord interactions but Smith often escapes this. I mean, Nick Drake does this too sometimes (I prefer him honestly) but not to the same extent.
>>
>>65342262
He was also inordinately prolific. For Either/Or, XO, and Figure 8 there were about 50 songs written for Either/Or, 30 something for XO, and 30 something for Figure 8. The majority of which HAVE NOT SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY. This was during a consecutive 3 record streak of about 5 years. That is an insane amount of output.

While Nick and Jeff are great in their own right, and I wouldn't ever compare any of them personally, they quantity of work released as such a high caliber is not there for either of them.
>>
>>65341195
you can count Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk
>>
>>65342329
>please teach me music theory
you're asking them to explain something to you that requires an understanding of music theory to be able to explain. You sound like the interviewer in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
It's like asking how magnets work. It requires an understanding of physics to explain, it's not something that can be done in laymens terms.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.