[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can Jazz musicians put out consistently amazing albums for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: DirkvdM_rocks.jpg (270 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
DirkvdM_rocks.jpg
270 KB, 1136x852
Why can Jazz musicians put out consistently amazing albums for decades, but rock musicians struggle to put out 2-3 great albums.
>>
Why could Bach make nearly 300 hours of the most groundbreaking, universal, wholesome, innovative, emotional, educational, intellectual, mathematical and spiritual music, that's nearly 2 weeks long of 24/7 music, over 1000 works, while "musicians" today make barely 1/100th of that
>>
>>65338273
false equivalency. bach was 1 man.
>>
>>65337698
They can't, you just don't have the knowledge to differentiate good jazz from bad jazz.
>>
>>65339062
I do. People like John Coltrane, Kenny G, Miles Davis, etc. are all good jazz.
>>
>>65339062
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Sun Ra
Thelonious Monk
Kenny G
Charles Mingus
Herbie Hancock

The list goes on.
>>
>>65337698
cause jazz musicians have more skill at their instrument/more compositional and technical knowledge

/thread
>>
>>65338273
Are you stupid?
>>
Rock music is all about energy, style, and youth. Because of this, most figures, from Jimmy Page to Lou Reed, went through a period where they perfectly captured the zeitgeist of their era, then lost "it" when the time of their youth passed. Note that this doesn't apply to all rock musicians, though - Guided By Voices didn't make it until Pollard was in his 30s, but they were never about capturing energy of youth - they just wrote wonderful pop songs. Likewise, Eddie Vedder is actually better now than he was in his 20s, because he's essentially a folk songwriter.

In jazz it's partially about revolutionary ideas, which is very much associated with youth. But it's also about mastery of the craft, and the ability to make powerful compositions. My favorite jazz album is Mingus' Let My Children Hear Music, which he did in middle age, and perfectly showcases his mastery of the craft, along with his Bach obsession - it's amazing because it's as powerful as a great classical piece, but has the freshness and potency of the best jazz.

Also, consider marketing. Continuing to use Mingus as an example, who would want to see some old, overweight, stuffy intellectual make what would've probably been garage rock? But give him a stand up bass and a big band, and he's a moody genius who calls to mind the greatest composers in history. Likewise, take Craig Nicholls of The Vines. As a rock frontman it's exhilarating seeing him basically have a breakdown on stage, just going insane, screaming and thrashing with his guitar. But put him in charge of a jazz band and he'd be some clumsy retard making childish bullshit.
Different values, different qualities.
t. my favorite genres are jazz (especially post-bop) and punk (especially post-hardcore)... though lately I've been listening to a lot of soul for some reason
>>
File: 20160601_121834.gif (2 MB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
20160601_121834.gif
2 MB, 480x640
Coz they dont have the DJ AARON ELLIS factor
>>
>>65339604
who is this spicy meme??
>>
>>65337698
Because Jazz listeners have really low standards and thus think filler wank is great.
>>
>>65339536
This
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.