[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does vinyl really sound any better than anything else?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vinyl-record.jpg (74 KB, 616x408) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-record.jpg
74 KB, 616x408
Does vinyl really sound any better than anything else?
>>
dying sounds better
>>
>>65337581
no. Ipods sound better too.
>>
>>65337581
It entirely depends on the mixing and mastering of the music (sometimes it's different for vinyl for a number of reasons), and the playback equipment.

Any other answer someone gives you is fucking false.
>>
No
There is a difference between what sounds good to you compared to what sounds the best

On the technical side, vinyl is fucking awful. High distortion, high noise floor, terrible dynamic range compared to digital. The only good thing about vinyl is that a record is more well mastered or does not fall for the loudness war meme because the restrictive dynamic range.
>>
>>65337726
>High distortion, high noise floor, terrible dynamic range compared to digital
None of this is noticeable in a proper ABX test between vinyl and digital sources, though.

Perhaps noise floor is if you have great ears. And obviously crackle, but in that case it's your fault for not taking care of your records.
>>
It's like anything else--the quality of the source and the equipment plays a huge role. I'd say good vinyl on a good turntable sounds better than CD, but most hipsters who listen to vinyl on /mu/ have thrift store records and $100 turntables that all definitely sound worse.

Technically speaking losses digital audio and high-speed reel-to-reel tape should sound better than LPs.
>>
If anything it sounds worse because of the extra fuzz/noise inherent in the technology. Whether you consider that good/nostalgic depends. It's 100% a collectible/commodity/showpiece. Glorified trendy stamp collecting.
>>
No.

Vinyl collecting/listening nowadays is nothing more than a hobby, which there's nothing wrong, I do it myself, but if you get into vinyl expecting a major life changer you'll be thoroughly dissapointed.
>>
>>65337815

Unlike stamp collecting, you can actually do stuff with vinyl. And while surface noise will inherently be a thing, it will only sound like shit if you have a shit-ass setup. A decent one will sound just as good as anything else.
>>
People always talk about "fetishising" objects when they try and shit on vinyl, but I still fail to see how that's a bad thing. It's interacting with music in a more physical way.
The whole ritual of playing a record lends itself to an extremely attentive mode of listening.

Plus visual media is super important with regards to how you interpret music. Huge artwork and packaging reinforces that enormously. It's very different to a 1200x1200 jpeg.
>>
no
where did you get that idea man
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.